Motomaster Synthetic 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard Shell makes this oil, and have used it before. It is a good deal, picked up a bunch of it yesterday on sale. Does anyone have the MSDS sheet for this oil?
Curious what the base TBN is , wondering if it is a 10-12km oil.

I was under the impression that all the CT oils were made by Imperial Oil, at least they were the last time I checked. It will say on the back of the bottle.

Well , it just says made in Canada on the back. Doesn't say anything about who made it. I would of thought Esso made it also, especially if it is made in Canada. I had read in here that Shell made it.

It is Formula 1 Synthetic.

Last edited:
If Esso ever made a CT oil, it was a long time ago. House brands rarely state who they are made by... After all, would anybody in their right mind, choose the more expensive name brand if they could buy the same product as a cheaper house brand?

Canadian Tire oil is absolutely made by Shell. No one can say definitively, whether or not, it is exactly the same as Formula Shell, but it makes sense that it is.

Enjoy using your gold-bottled, Shell oil!

P.S. I can't give you any info regarding the TBN, or if it is a 10-12km oil. Maybe you'll tell us, after you've done a UOA at 10,000 km.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I will pull a 10-11km Interval and get an analysis done as I can't find one here.

My MMS usually goes off around 10k kms, maybe I'll stretch it out a bit.

Originally Posted By: Yuk
If Esso ever made a CT oil, it was a long time ago. House brands rarely state who they are made by... After all, would anybody in their right mind, choose the more expensive name brand if they could buy the same product as a cheaper house brand?

Canadian Tire oil is absolutely made by Shell. No one can say definitively, whether or not, it is exactly the same as Formula Shell, but it makes sense that it is.

Enjoy using your gold-bottled, Shell oil!

P.S. I can't give you any info regarding the TBN, or if it is a 10-12km oil. Maybe you'll tell us, after you've done a UOA at 10,000 km.
grin2.gif

I wonder if the Motomaster oil we have in Ontario is different from what you have in AB?

I'm serious, the bottles used to say "Made for Canadian Tire Corporation by Imperial Oil Canada Inc." on the back of them.

I'll check the next time I'm into CT to see what they say now.

Well, just checked the bottle of ATF I had in the garage and it doesn't say anything on it like they used to. I honestly have no idea when it changed, I just remember it saying what I mentioned above many years ago when I was reading the bottles :D

If you check the link out, you can access the MSDS's on CT's site. Enter the first 6 digits of the code on the front of the bottle.

CT

The MSDS will tell you who blends the oil. But I have been unable to find any spec's for CT oil.

Thanks Papa Bear... Interestingly enough, Motomaster Synthetic 5W-20 has a pour point of only -33°C, and a 176°C flash point. Both 5W-30 and 10W-30 have a pour point of -51°C with a 176°C flash point. 5W-50: -39°C pour point and 220°C flash point.
I've emailed CTC asking if this is all correct and if 5W-30 is in fact the same oil as 10W-30.

any updates on this ? i am considering this oil for my new (used) 1999 volvo S80 t6

the car uses 6.9 litres of oil and im trying to save as much money as possible...

is this oil any good ? (or should i ask is it's equivalent shell is any good)

Motomaster Formula 1 synthetic is fantastic. my impreza is specced for 5w30, and my colt also 5w30, but i mix 50:50 5w30 with 5w20, i'm sure the figures for pour point are a typographical error, likely the pour point for 5w20 is -53 C. the 20 weight is clearly a superior oil, and thins down the 30 weight so the cold properties are excellent. i just had a 1.5l Mitsubishi engine installed in the Colt, from the wrecker, along with tranny and clutch. at first it would take several turning over of the engine to start it; it was filled initially with YB Pennzoil, I drained the YB, and refilled with 5w25 F1 synth. the impreza right now is running on 5w25 F1 as well. then engines couldn't be happier, they run super quiet, and the colt engine now starts on the first crank.

I have only used their 5w50 in my VW Cabriolet from the 80's and it works fantastic. I started it last week to take it for a quick run (in storage for winter), and it fired right up, really easy and drove great. Had lots of oil pressure on the gauge too.

thats good news cause that synth is the cheapest i could find

the question remains, to buy the oil and filter myself and have my buddy do the change (he'll probly charge me like 10 - 20 dollars but thats expected)

or go to price club ( costco ) and get them to change the oil with castrol syntec for what seems to be a little cheaper

people seem to be back and fourth on the castrol... whats the definitive answer on that front ?

remember i have 3 dodge colts. that particular colt i purchased with 140,000 km on it, and i think it had a mild problem with either rings or valve stems. nothing too serious though. anyway, it was time now, to replace clutch. car has 200,000 km, on original clutch. gear box was slightly notchy so i asked wrecker if they had another gearbox. they said yes, 400$. i said "great". so then i figured, if they're replacing tranny and clutch, while they're in there, maybe replace engine, so i asked "do you also have engine" - they said sure, only $500. so this is too good of a deal. if figured if i have a fleet of colts, i can keep a spare engine in stock, and since everyone here is mad at me because I'm giving opinions without ever having torn an engine apart, now i have an engine to tear apart and rebuild, even if it really doesn't need it, so when i get accusations thrown at me, i can say - of course i've torn an engine apart, and rebuilt it, and it even ran after i did it! good plan - eh? so anyway, now i have a colt that runs like a dream, it feels like i tricked God into Him loaning me His car - yippee!!!

Originally Posted By: andrei3333
thats good news cause that synth is the cheapest i could find

the question remains, to buy the oil and filter myself and have my buddy do the change (he'll probly charge me like 10 - 20 dollars but thats expected)

or go to price club ( costco ) and get them to change the oil with castrol syntec for what seems to be a little cheaper

people seem to be back and fourth on the castrol... whats the
definitive answer on that front ?

I don't really have experience with Castrol, although I wouldn't pay the price for that oil considering a Synthetic blend isn't that much more than their Dino Oil. The talk around here is that there are much better Dino oil's for their money such as Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, or Supertech etc.

I would pay your buddy to do the oil change... He will prob. do a better job and then you don't have to waste gas driving to Costco. Plus it builds a good relationship between you and him. Assuming he knows what he is doing
wink.gif

10.gif

him and his dad own a small shop,, but the castrol syntec is a full synthetic, not a blend

the thing is if i go to him its gona cost me like 80 dollar and +

if i go to costo its gona be around 50-60

So buy the oil and filter yourself and take it to him and just let him charge you a bit to do it for you. Or alternatively you could learn to do it yourself. It's quite easy and then you have the satisfaction that you did it right.

I can send you the steps with pictures of how to do it if you want...

35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back