Most durable gas engines all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this some where but didnt quite grok the whole thing, An inline six has good secondary balance in its rotating mass.

I'd say pretty much any toyota engine. Got a friend with 200k on his celica, beats the living #@$%! out of it, and it runs fine. Sisters corolla has 145k hard miles, runs great. Mines got 132k, I still think I stalled at every light cause it's so quiet. And also friends got a 80's supra, turbo, cars falling apart around the engine, turbo original.

Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5L engines. They don't have high performance but it takes ALOT of beating to make one finally die. Generally, they just get the "chrysler sounds"(piston slap, LOUD valve and lifter tapping)

Thou shalt bow down in awe of the Mad Vulcan Powah!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Vulcan_V6_engine

Quote:

The Ford Vulcan V6 is a 3.0 L (2982 cc/182 in³), 60° V6 engine, first introduced for the 1986 model year and originally designed to be the optional engine in the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable. In 1988, it became the standard engine for the Taurus, and was the only engine available in the Taurus' last years

Wikipedia is teh win.

I am going the obscure route............the 305-478ci V6s from GM made in the 60s- early 70s. I have seen many of these engines in 40 year old farm trucks that still run and get abused on a regular basis.

Quote:

Chrysler 2.2 and 2.5L engines. They don't have high performance but it takes ALOT of beating to make one finally die. Generally, they just get the "chrysler sounds"(piston slap, LOUD valve and lifter tapping)

And the valve cover leak out of that wierd-shaped valve cover..

Quote:

Quote:

And the valve cover leak out of that wierd-shaped valve cover..

Yeah the odd oil leaks can be confusing with these little things. Mine doesn't leak at all from my cover through and mine is HIGH miles(just hit 184K).

- Jeep I6
- Ford I6
- Ford Lima I4
- Ford Vulcan V6
- GM Iron Duke I4
...just to name a few.

Also, I was watching an old episode of Mythbusters recently where they were testing automotive myths. The engine they used for testing looked like it was an old small block GM engine. They put sugar in the gas, replaced the coolant with soda, plugged a radiator leak with eggs, dropped a penney down the carb, and put bleach in the gas along with moth balls. The engine just kept going. They finally killed it by dumping bleach in the oil.

I did 575k miles on a Toyota 20R 4-cylinder engine, a 78 Toyota Pickup, sold it and the new owner is using it as a daily driver. One valve job, no bottom end work. The engine passed Calif smog and blew near zero's. If the 20R and 22R are not the best, they are pretty close. My engine has had no unscheduled maintenance at all. Part of this is luck, good weather and good driving habits but there is a lot of Toyota in this, too. This means that you can buy an older Toyota pickup with confidense.

How about a 4.25 BHP Tecumseh? Bought a walk-behind mower with this mill at Target in 1997 on clearance for $70.00. Have been cutting my 3/4 acre of grass with it ever since. I am working off a stock of Maxlife 20W-50 in it, which I purchased on clearance at Target years ago for .44/qt.

I bought a new 77 Volare w/slant 6 partly on the reputation of that engine. Hated it. Knocked no matter what you put in it, burned oil from day one, etc, etc. If it would have lasted the body would not have, since it started rusting through at 6 months. grrr Vowed it would be my last Chrysler product, unfortunately it was not. Wife wanted a PT and we got a new one, it also burned oil from day one! Double grrrr......
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back