Most durable gas engines all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Early 60s Suzuki 50 2 stroke engine. I had this thing for years as a preteen and well into my teens. It was rode daily all year round. Changed the spark plug once or twice. It was indestructible. I sold it to the kids down the street who really abused it but it never died. Its probably still going somewhere, making some kid happy.

My 1941 John Deere Model "A" tw-cylinder tractor is gonna be a tough one to outlast.

Sticking to automotive use my Ford 300-6 engines are well know for durability. Hydraulic lifters, 7 mains, breakerless ignition, Single-barrel carb, single exhaust, relatively low specific power output per cubic inch. WAY overbuilt for the average useage.
Joe

I have a 1978 Ford Fairmont with a 3.3L I6...its got exactly 346,393 and uses not one drop of oil in a 5k oci. Idles fairly smooth and revs nicely.

My 1996 Ford contour with the Zetec 2.0L I4 has also been trouble free for the past 11 years, but only has 87K miles.

Best engine in terms of durability, fuel economy, and performance. IMO, the 1.8 liter Toyota 7AFE engine, based off of the 1.6 liter 4AF(E), which was based off of the 4AC, which dates back to 1982. I suppose any of the Toyota A-series 4-cyl engines count. It doesn't sludge when neglected and the ones from way back in the day still run even when the rest of the car is rusted from 20 years of rust. I've seen many of these engines beyond 200k miles myself. This was why I decided on the car that I have now with the 7AFE engine. We shall see how long this one lasts, looks great on my UOA at 157056 miles. I need to get that one posted.

GM 250 straight 6. One of the best engines ever made. I own two, both in 1966 Chevy's. One with just under 12K on it (car is still like new) and the old tank which is a Biscane 4Dr with over 600K on the original engine and still get's 22 MPG.

GM 4.3 V6. I've driven a lot of Astro vans ranging in 200k plus miles. Never had an engine problem. But everything else that's attached to the motor goes.

The VQ30 WAS GOOD BUT THE VG30 HAD IT BEAT. It had no chain so that wasn't an issue. It was also alot easier to svc.The VQ replaced the VG30 and it was a good engine but I have not seen the VQ motor go as long without having some type of internal engine repair.(tensioners,chain,and the famous internal water pump).
driving.gif

Quote:

If the 20R and 22R are not the best, they are pretty close.

Starting in 1993 (I believe) They went with a nylon chain guide/tensioner) they were guaranteed not to last 100K.
frown.gif

Nissan VQ3.5 and SR20DE almost indestructable.

Nissan 2.0 in late 1980 Nissan Stanza and Nissan 2.4 in early 90 Nissan Stanzas and 240s were very reliable.

Datusun 240 Z, Chrysler Slant Six, Volvo pushrod motors. I have now seen all of these go over 500K with no rebuilds.

Our company mail courier has 600K on his '94 Chev 1500CK with the 350 V8. Only a few starters and alternators, one trans rebuild, a few brake jobs. Still runs. Next time I see him I'm going to take a photo of the odometer.

Quote:

Isuzu 3.2L Sohc 24V
GM 350
Toyota 22RE - just don't allow it to ever get hot.

^Which GM 350 are you referring to?:

Chevy 350 (60's-90's)
Chevy LT1 350 (1990's)
Oldsmobile 350
Buick 350
Pontiac 350

I think thats all of them. Could have forgot one.

Quote:

Best engine in terms of durability, fuel economy, and performance. IMO, the 1.8 liter Toyota 7AFE engine, based off of the 1.6 liter 4AF(E), which was based off of the 4AC, which dates back to 1982. I suppose any of the Toyota A-series 4-cyl engines count. It doesn't sludge when neglected and the ones from way back in the day still run even when the rest of the car is rusted from 20 years of rust. I've seen many of these engines beyond 200k miles myself. This was why I decided on the car that I have now with the 7AFE engine. We shall see how long this one lasts, looks great on my UOA at 157056 miles. I need to get that one posted.

Hehe, well my 88 Corolla wagon has a 4AF, and is 18 years old now with 236000 miles and the motor still runs great and uses very little oil. Too bad the body is rusting away though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:

The slant six MOPAR hands down. The Ford 300 six and the AMC 258 six were also good motors.

I ran a Ford strait six over 300K miles with no ehgine work.

My son has a 1994 Jeep with the strait six with 165,000 miles. It has 60 PSI of oil pressure at cruise. Gets Exxon 10w30 and a Baldwin filter every 4 months.

1) VW 1.8l
2) Ford 4.9l I-6
3) Mopar slant 6
4) Chevy 350 V8

Those are my top picks for "durable" engines, I have personally seen all these engines with 350k Kms or more on them and still running strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back