MOS2 Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Any point in adding this stuff to something like Ultra, PP, or M1?

You could.... it seems really good at smoothing out how an engine "feels."

Again, you could underdose and put in a half a can (which is maybe best?,) "normal dose" and put in one can, or OVER dose and put in TWO cans for an initial app. Every time i underdosed, i added the rest of the can within 1000 miles. It felt that good. I always added while hot, too. Two cans is a bit much.. though id imagine that felt silky-smooth. A whole can will feel a little bit better than a half can. Unless you save the second half of the can for the next OC. That takes will power.

I always added it to a HOT fully warmed engine too, btw, to help it "bake on" to the engine's surfaces.

You could add it to ANY oil and the only oil that would give me pause to NOT add it to would be a full sump of Redline...... the adding one quart of Redline oil to a fill of a different oil.. is an intriguing one. For that, i would still add this one, yes. Something about different "kinds" of Molies.

My cold start RPM jumped from 1300/1500RPM to 2000RPM.Even with Fuchs GT1 0w-20 Cold start RPM sitting around 1500RPM.Castrol Edge OE-X 5w-30+MOS2 2000RPM.

I have started using Moly in all of my gas powered applications. I noticed an immediate reduction in lifter noise. After the initial OCI, I only add about half of the initial dose. IMHO, it does what it says in reducing friction.

Amazon has good pricing at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lubro-Moly-MoS2-An...7862&sr=1-1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toyota62
My cold start RPM jumped from 1300/1500RPM to 2000RPM.Even with Fuchs GT1 0w-20 Cold start RPM sitting around 1500RPM.Castrol Edge OE-X 5w-30+MOS2 2000RPM.

Cold start rpm jumped for me too, [with or w/o MoS2] when it went from 50*F to 20*F. It idled at a higher rpm for a longer time too.

Originally Posted By: Cosmos
I have started using Moly in all of my gas powered applications. I noticed an immediate reduction in lifter noise. After the initial OCI, I only add about half of the initial dose. IMHO, it does what it says in reducing friction.

Amazon has good pricing at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/Lubro-Moly-MoS2-An...7862&sr=1-1

NAPA is your friend. Around $5.50 there

It is possible that computer only changes the idles speed when it goes out of the so called "acceptable" range. In that case if engine is running freely because of MOS2 addition (only a claim!), then it would be possible that idle speed would be higher than before. If I were programming the computer, that is how I would do it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
It is possible that computer only changes the idles speed when it goes out of the so called "acceptable" range. In that case if engine is running freely because of MOS2 addition (only a claim!), then it would be possible that idle speed would be higher than before. If I were programming the computer, that is how I would do it.

The computer operates very quickly, quicker than we can detect. So if the idle speed increased as a result of an additive it would compensate and adjust it back down before we'd even know. Maybe someone with a background in how automotive computers and sensors works can weigh in here. Keep in mind cold weather has an impact on idle until the engine reaches a temp which will allow the computer to adjust idle speed down.

The idle was runing at 600 RPM before and now it's at 750. I didn't do anything else except using the Amsoil AZO OW-30 oil that now has Moly.
I just added 1 oz (30 ml) Molyslip to the oil. I will run it for a while to see if i can detect any difference and then add another ounce.
I used a seasoning injecter to inject the Molyslip, it has a 30 ml capacity, quick and clean.

Conversely, I haven't added MoS2 yet and my idle struggles at times with a sticky IACV.

The lesson?

Can't have better idle with pre-existing choking hazards!
lol.gif

Generally, these kind of feedback systems employee hysteresis to dampen the system oscillations. If the idle speed specification is 700 +/-100 rpm, the computer would not try to keep it at exactly 700 rpm. Only when the threshold, in this case 100 rpm is exceeded, computer would make the correction.

I am not saying that this is what is happening but I am saying this is possible and having worked with these kind of systems in the past, more probable.

Talking about Moly, at least LubroMolly can is a pain. It is very sticky and makes a mess of anything it touches, including the funnel.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Conversely, I haven't added MoS2 yet and my idle struggles at times with a sticky IACV.

The lesson?

Can't have better idle with pre-existing choking hazards!
lol.gif

Is there any reason why you don't use throttle body cleaner spray on it? I end up doing that annually on my 99 Camry. If I don't do it, it starts idling at 400 rpm :-( I have owned this car for four years now and I had to spray the TB cleaner four times so far. I just remove big black rubber hose and spray liberally both with engine off and with engine on. It is possible on this car because it does not have MAF sensor.

- Vikas

^Just sprayed the TB last night with some Val Carb/Intake TB cleaner...may have to remove the IACV anyway. (I don't think it's torqued down, just snug for no vacuum leaks?)

Is the gasket on the IACV replaceable?

I've had that low idle issue for a while now...gah!!!

Originally Posted By: harry j
The idle was runing at 600 RPM before and now it's at 750. I didn't do anything else except using the Amsoil AZO OW-30 oil that now has Moly.
I just added 1 oz (30 ml) Molyslip to the oil. I will run it for a while to see if i can detect any difference and then add another ounce.
I used a seasoning injecter to inject the Molyslip, it has a 30 ml capacity, quick and clean.

Was it you who posted the UOA that showed a possible coolant leak? If so I'd check for vacuum leaks too, they can cause issues with idle speed as well.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Just sprayed the TB last night with some Val Carb/Intake TB cleaner...may have to remove the IACV anyway. (I don't think it's torqued down, just snug for no vacuum leaks?)

Is the gasket on the IACV replaceable?

I've had that low idle issue for a while now...gah!!!

The IAC gasket is replaceable, it looks like the figure 8. It may still be good, but get one from Honda just in case.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: harry j

Was it you who posted the UOA that showed a possible coolant leak? If so I'd check for vacuum leaks too, they can cause issues with idle speed as well.

Yes, there is a small coolant leak. I can't be 100% sure, but the vacuum hoses are all in mint condition and I don't think there is a leak. Thankyou for your suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back