2012 KTM 500 EXC Refresh

Yes all adjustments have been made mechanically, I was just saying that I used the data from the ECU to read the voltage rather than reading it direct from the TPS sensor. If I have more issues with it I will back probe my fluke meter on it and confirm they are reading correctly. When I made the adjustments the first time I was using a janky TPS tool that came with the bike from the PO and I suspect it is out 0.03-0.04v.
The newer bikes, the idle adjustment effects the butter fly angle, so if its kinda off and you zero the tps through software , it can really mess it up.

As I said before I'm switching from "ultra heavy duty" tubes to mousse's. I picked up a Rabaconda tire changer and glad I did, it would be very difficult without it.

Current front tire is good so just installing the mousse on the now trued wheel:
image001.jpg

This went on pretty easy and then I got it balanced and back on the bike:
image002.jpg

The back wheel didn't need much for truing so just went through the spoke tension.
The bearings seemed fine but the seals were chewed up. I priced out new seals, they were 70% of the cost of bearings so I put in a new set of SKF bearings.

This bearing puller is so much nicer than beating them out.
image003.jpg

Then I installed a fresh IRC VE33S tire and Michelin Bib Mousse with 2 rim locks, I wont lie, this was a chore compared to the front but I learned a few things that will make the next one much easier.
Here it is balanced and installed ready to go:
image004.jpg

The new air filter cover came in so I got that installed, the fit isn't great at all to be honest, did some trimming but I'll probably have to come back to this. I have new decals on the way for it.
image001.jpg

Just to give a quick update, I've been riding the bike, have 7 hours on it so far this season. I think I mentioned it but it wasn't running great, turns out it was the fuel injector, I've installed a new one and that took care of 95% of it, just having some occasional flame outs now that I'm trying to get cleared up. I also did some back to back testing with the GET ECU and my old setup which was a Stock ECU with Euro map and JD Jetting fuel programmer and there is a VERY noticeable difference, the GET absolutely rips! its much more "crisp" and responsive also, it's amazing.

Talking with mike at Taco Moto about possibly adjusting the mapping to help clear up the remaining flame outs, I'm not sure where to start, maybe adding a little more fuel from 0-5% throttle? I don't know, have to see what he says.

bike2.jpg

Good god that thing looks wonderful.

How do you like the mousse inserts? I always thought they felt soft or somehow numb. Maybe they are better now...

Good god that thing looks wonderful.

How do you like the mousse inserts? I always thought they felt soft or somehow numb. Maybe they are better now...
Only 7hrs with them so far but I’m loving them! Mostly I like not carrying tire tools and a spare tube and never checking pressures.

These Michelin inserts are certainly not soft. They have a feel of about 15psi when new. I used to run 12F and 8R with ultra heavy duty tubes so these feel a little firm for my liking but they will soften up with use. Some guys even drill 1” holes out of them with a hole saw all the way around to soften them up.

As for the “numb” feel, yes but it wasn’t dramatic. I notice it deflects a little less of rocks, roots, etc. Not a big change but I’m actually preferring it myself.

So far so good.

Just to give a quick update, I've been riding the bike, have 7 hours on it so far this season. I think I mentioned it but it wasn't running great, turns out it was the fuel injector, I've installed a new one and that took care of 95% of it, just having some occasional flame outs now that I'm trying to get cleared up. I also did some back to back testing with the GET ECU and my old setup which was a Stock ECU with Euro map and JD Jetting fuel programmer and there is a VERY noticeable difference, the GET absolutely rips! its much more "crisp" and responsive also, it's amazing.

Talking with mike at Taco Moto about possibly adjusting the mapping to help clear up the remaining flame outs, I'm not sure where to start, maybe adding a little more fuel from 0-5% throttle? I don't know, have to see what he says.

View attachment 152894
He didnt create the Map, Hp racing created 1 off Blue Get ecu, for a 2015 500 rider that was running the Baja 1000. He never intended to sell, but there was some demand, so he started selling them.

Really that model blue get has limited broad brush adjustments, Id mount the jd tuner with it, and move all adjustment to setting 3 , this allows straight through feed, then add fuel where you think is needed.

Before doing that, you might try a slight tps adjustment, around .61v or most .62v , and see how that does.

your elevation can also factor with set up need

Last edited:
Unfortunately I haven't been able to ride the bike for about 3 weeks due to the whole province of Alberta being on fire.
Also just found out last night that our riding area is going to get dozed to make a fire break. The break runs right through the best of the single track.

Anyways, meanwhile I have done some more work to the bike. I haven't been as good about taking pictures along the way, need to get back in that routine.

My assisted clutch master from Clake hasn't been playing well with the Rekluse so I ordered a SLR from Clake which uses the stock clutch master and then mounts their own master and lever to be used as the LHRB which uses a brembo 9mm piston.

When I still had the stock clutch master cylinder on the bike it wasn't working quite right so I put a OEM Brembo rebuild kit in it and a new clutch hose.
image001.jpg

Here is the SLR and stock clutch master cylinder installed:
image002.jpg

The LHRB portion ties into the stock rear brake system by installing a sleeve into the reservoir on the rear brake master cylinder that by-passes the reservoir so it doesn't see pressure and then feeds the pressure from the Clake LHRB master into the rear brake line. It's pretty clever but from what I've read it wont be quite as strong as just going directly going to the rear caliper but the trade off is the rear brake foot pedal still works so you have that option which is nice if your stopped on a hill and want to use your hands for something without the bike rolling away.

I had no intentions of rebuilding the rear brake master cylinder but when I took it apart it was pretty rough and leaking so it got a new Brembo rebuild kit.

I had installed a heavier Bellville spring in the clutch over the winter hoping it would fix my clutch slipping under high loads but it didn't it was a adjustment issue with the rekluse. Now without having a assisted clutch lever I decided to change it back to the stock Belville spring:
image003.jpg

Now everything is all buttoned up and ready for some testing. I was going to go last night but the smoke was horrible, was like a heavy fog. Hopefully next week I'll get a chance.

Back