"More Zinc = More Wear?" with Lake Speed Jr

He’s run his car on the 400 acre Houston Campus and visited labs etc - I have a feeling most executives wanted to meet him …
Red Bull Racing is no afterthought …
It's still so much about sponsorships in motorsports. Those Euro Red Bull drift guys were Motul sponsored and pouring a can of 300V 10W-60 into their BMW drift car on Instagram. I'm sure they would use whoever paid for the privilege. Not that any of these products are bad.

He’s run his car on the 400 acre Houston Campus and visited labs etc -
I have a feeling most executives wanted to meet him …
Red Bull Racing is no afterthought …

The lubricants market is an afterthought.

Upstream and light ends are 10,000x bigger than Lubricants.

I’m completely not kidding. It’s why Mobil is cutting distributors and forcing them to sell to Brenntag.

Mobil will have a handful of distributors in 10 years. Maybe as little as 2. But probably 5-7. They’re giving up a ton of ground in the market place.

You might not like what I’m saying. But that’s the facts of the industry out there right now.

It's still so much about sponsorships in motorsports. Those Euro Red Bull drift guys were Motul sponsored and pouring a can of 300V 10W-60 into their BMW drift car on Instagram. I'm sure they would use whoever paid for the privilege. Not that any of these products are bad.
Motul is not there taking fuel and lube samples back to the lab.
This is specific to the top team in F1 …

The lubricants market is an afterthought.

Upstream and light ends are 10,000x bigger than Lubricants.

I’m completely not kidding. It’s why Mobil is cutting distributors and forcing them to sell to Brenntag.

Mobil will have a handful of distributors in 10 years. Maybe as little as 2. But probably 5-7. They’re giving up a ton of ground in the market place.

You might not like what I’m saying. But that’s the facts of the industry out there right now.
What does all that oblique stuff have to do with what I wrote Scott ?

What does all that oblique stuff have to do with what I wrote Scott ?

Because I’m trying to explain how the lubricants market works to you. When someone up in Mobil decides it’s not their focus anymore, they’ll stop doing it. It’s a nice marketing distraction for them. When it stops being that, they’ll stop doing the testing, marketing, development, etc.

And I’m trying to explain that the lubricants market over all, is peanuts for the majors.

Because I’m trying to explain how the lubricants market works to you. When someone up in Mobil decides it’s not their focus anymore, they’ll stop doing it. It’s a nice marketing distraction for them. When it stops being that, they’ll stop doing the testing, marketing, development, etc.

And I’m trying to explain that the lubricants market over all, is peanuts for the majors.
No, it’s part of a portfolio - just a few years ago upstream was making no money …

No, it’s part of a portfolio - just a few years ago upstream was making no money …

No, it’s an afterthought.

Look at where the investment goes. Look at Mobil’s withdrawal from the distributor market. Mobil makes more money selling base oils than finished lubricants.

You can doubt me. But these are the facts.

Here is an Aussie perspective. Not quite the US market. And I can go into the nuances of Reladyne, Brenntag, the dominance of the ILMA’s in the U.S.

I was going to DM him and offer to give my perspective as an American mega distributor. But as the PCEO industry continues to shrink in the U.S., you’re going to see the majors continue to pivot away from the Lubricants market. Simply because they can’t adjust fast enough.

No, it’s an afterthought.

Look at where the investment goes. Look at Mobil’s withdrawal from the distributor market. Mobil makes more money selling base oils than finished lubricants.

You can doubt me. But these are the facts.

Here is an Aussie perspective. Not quite the US marker. And I can go into the nuances of Reladyne, Brenntag, the dominance of the ILMA’s in the U.S.

I was going to DM him and offer to give my perspective as an American mega distributor. But as the PCEO industry continues to shrink in the U.S., you’re going to see the majors continue to pivot away from the Lubricants market. Simply because they can’t adjust fast enough.

I’m well aware of where profits are made - again, it’s you drifting the subject to your world and the semantics of “afterthought” - a word hardly appropriate to business models - we were talking about lubes for F1 and one team in particular … You mentioned that going to Valvoline which you call nothing but a marketing show …
Red Bull wants a fully integrated oil company bcs its fuels and lubes from them - not a distributor …

I’m well aware of where profits are made - again, it’s you drifting the subject to your world and the semantics of “afterthought” - a word hardly appropriate to business models - we were talking about lubes for F1 and one team in particular … You mentioned that going to Valvoline which you call nothing but a marketing show …
Red Bull wants a fully integrated oil company bcs its fuels and lubes from them - not a distributor …

So, what’s someone like Reladyne? Or Brenntag? Are they “just a distributor”?

And yes, Valvoline is a marketing show. We will see what Motiva does with them. Motiva needs an outlet for base oils. Valvoline didn’t use Motiva base oils primarily, before the purchase.

The lubricants market is changing. Yes, it’s still an afterthought for the majors. They come, they go. They get super invested into selling lubricants. Then they fade off.

Right now we are seeing several majors pull back out of the lubricants market.

It's far, far from that abomination known as PF. The testing is relevant where PF's "tests" aren't relevant at all. The tests were also done at SWRI, not in a garage. Sure, he rambles a bit, but it's just how he is. He does that with normal conversation where he'll talk your ear off on multiple tangents. He's excitable and likes to talk, in case you're wondering if he's just putting on a show for the videos.
I saw a test couple of days ago and it was in his daddy's garage. His blabbing is almost unbearable.

Mobil makes the engine lube for all NASCAR teams.

As of Talladega this year, many teams are still using Driven XP. I would say it's still the majority.

This sparked a couple other questions:

Did Lake Speed leave the Joe Gibbs Driven lubes program when Gibbs spun it off to whoever owns it now?

Did Gibbs Racing switch to Mobil because Toyota wanted that, or was it was better financially to have Mobil as a sponsor than to compete with them selling oil? It looks like all the Toyota branded cars in Nascar and NHRA are running Mobil logos.

Joe Gibbs Racing oil became Driven racing oil in 2011 or 2012. LSJ left in 2019, the reason I'm not at liberty to disclose.

Mobil has plenty of money to throw around, likes to throw it around, and the teams like accepting it. As to whether they're actually using it.... I'll let your imagination go wild on that one.

So, what’s someone like Reladyne? Or Brenntag? Are they “just a distributor”?

And yes, Valvoline is a marketing show. We will see what Motiva does with them. Motiva needs an outlet for base oils. Valvoline didn’t use Motiva base oils primarily, before the purchase.

The lubricants market is changing. Yes, it’s still an afterthought for the majors. They come, they go. They get super invested into selling lubricants. Then they fade off.

Right now we are seeing several majors pull back out of the lubricants market.
So back to my post - they have extremely long relationships with Porche and Corvette racing teams - and yes, as pointed out only some in stock car … Speed related journals estimate half the cars …
F1 - I can’t even predict if Red Bull stays together much less what @XOM does - but right now I see it in the international cities I travel - F1 is not the craze in America that I see abroad - not even close …
I don’t know why all this insider stuff means anything other than it’s about you again … It’s almost Universal that way …

Last edited:
The problem with PF oil related videos is that they are complete and utter junk; not one bit of actual "science" goes into those productions and they are totally misleading on every level.

The problem with LSJr. videos is that they are completely and utterly misunderstood by average viewers, and even some BITOGers. His "science" is typically better, but he does a poor job of presenting it in a concise and consumable manner; he rambles from topic to topic within any one of his many vids and can't seem to contain his enthusiasm. His videos could benefit from a professional editor that has the stones to tell him to "stay on point and keep it short". Most of his info could be summarized in 5 minutes, yet it takes 20 or more to view any of his vids. Further, his video clickbait titles are very misleading and contribute to bad assumptions; this is a BIG problem because in our society with limited ability to concentrate for more than 5 minutes, they don't watch the whole video and often miss the points LSJr makes which a critical to understanding his point of view. He does a poor job at times helping the viewer understand the bounds and limitations of his assertions; he may not make a qualifying statement until near the end of a video, or he'll bury it in a short quip nearly under his breath in the middle of a run-on sentence. For example, he often leaves out the point that his tests may be very relevant for racing applications, but those conditions are moot for daily driver use. Unfortunately the average viewer cannot discern this distinction and then believes LSJr's point is applicable for the garage queen vehicle, when nothing could be further from the truth. It's almost as if when LSJr puts a video together, he doesn't spend any time editing whatsoever; he just rolls film and lets life happen. If you're expecting me to spend 20-30 minutes of my time watching your content, then for goodness sake at least get a professional to help you organize your thoughts and put a polished product together!

To make a clear distinction, LSJr is a very learned and intelligent person who lacks clarity and conditional limitations in presentation which are viable but limited in application, whereas PF is just a shade-tree hack using stupid parlor tricks to make useless points which do not translate into your engine.

And if any BITOGer responds to this post with the typical "TLDR" quip, well .... you just made my point for me. ;)

The problem with PF oil related videos is that they are complete and utter junk; not one bit of actual "science" goes into those productions and they are totally misleading on every level.

The problem with LSJr. videos is that they are completely and utterly misunderstood by average viewers, and even some BITOGers. His "science" is typically better, but he does a poor job of presenting it in a concise and consumable manner; he rambles from topic to topic within any one of his many vids and can't seem to contain his enthusiasm. His videos could benefit from a professional editor that has the stones to tell him to "stay on point and keep it short". Most of his info could be summarized in 5 minutes, yet it takes 20 or more to view any of his vids. Further, his video clickbait titles are very misleading and contribute to bad assumptions; this is a BIG problem because in our society with limited ability to concentrate for more than 5 minutes, they don't watch the whole video and often miss the points LSJr makes which a critical to understanding his point of view. He does a poor job at times helping the viewer understand the bounds and limitations of his assertions; he may not make a qualifying statement until near the end of a video, or he'll bury it in a short quip nearly under his breath in the middle of a run-on sentence. For example, he often leaves out the point that his tests may be very relevant for racing applications, but those conditions are moot for daily driver use. Unfortunately the average viewer cannot discern this distinction and then believes LSJr's point is applicable for the garage queen vehicle, when nothing could be further from the truth. It's almost as if when LSJr puts a video together, he doesn't spend any time editing whatsoever; he just rolls film and lets life happen. If you're expecting me to spend 20-30 minutes of my time watching your content, then for goodness sake at least get a professional to help you organize your thoughts and put a polished product together!

To make a clear distinction, LSJr is a very learned and intelligent person who lacks clarity and conditional limitations in presentation which are viable but limited in application, whereas PF is just a shade-tree hack using stupid parlor tricks to make useless points which do not translate into your engine.

And if any BITOGer responds to this post with the typical "TLDR" quip, well .... you just made my point for me. ;)
I'm quite sure LSJR IS using a professional to produce these videos, if you want to see a crappy short unpolished videos, look at my channel haha. He makes them this length on purpose - it's part of the monetization and algorithm. Short videos don't get you the same "punch" when you are monetizing it.

Follks....nobody cares on YouTube if you are ugly and have a bad voice...oh wait...BITOGers seem to ahahahah

Seriously, start a channel if you have something to share, trust me, someone will watch/appreciate the knowledge you may have to share.

Back