"More Zinc = More Wear?" with Lake Speed Jr

It's far, far from that abomination known as PF. The testing is relevant where PF's "tests" aren't relevant at all. The tests were also done at SWRI, not in a garage. Sure, he rambles a bit, but it's just how he is. He does that with normal conversation where he'll talk your ear off on multiple tangents. He's excitable and likes to talk, in case you're wondering if he's just putting on a show for the videos.

I love Project Farm!!! :D

Could his explanations here be indicative of why Mobil-1 tends to show higher Fe wear numbers than other oils? They may formulate for fuel economy improvement with a slight acceptance of higher Fe wear.

I had suspected this but never put two and two together.
Not in my experienced opinion. The higher UOA Fe numbers that some notice with certain M1 formulations are not indicative of real world wear. The only way to determine wear rates is to measure it objectively through disassembly after use.

This was evident when I was involved in aviation oil testing. The UOA results are useful when watching for and predicting trouble. They are utterly useless when attempting to track "wear rates".

It really is impossible to know the source of UOA Fe, and/or whether the microscopic Fe particulates picked up would have been larger with other oils. Many of us assume it is cylinder bore or cam related. But in reality, the Fe is likely from the gear teeth on the cams or even the chain tensioners friction on the backside of the cam chain. Again, UOA only finds metals smaller than 0.00019685 inches. (yes I know, an absurd number of significant digits, but it helps illustrate the point) They are utterly tiny.

Last edited:
He went on a Pennzoil kick for a while because of frequent questions about their SP formulas coming in under 600 ppm P and thus questioning if it would still protect okay. Plus, lower SA will likely be the trend moving forward with API oils in general.

Yes, most of us know that... but he isn't making the videos for BITOG. Most people outside of BITOG don't know what "zinc" even is, much less that too much can be a bad thing. There's quite a few, even reputable, engine builders who refuse to use a dedicated break-in oil, just keep adding Rislone or ZDDP-Plus to Rotella, and wonder why they can't get a flat tappet cam through the break-in.
Reputable?
He went on a Pennzoil kick for a while because of frequent questions about their SP formulas coming in under 600 ppm P and thus questioning if it would still protect okay. Plus, lower SA will likely be the trend moving forward with API oils in general.

Yes, most of us know that... but he isn't making the videos for BITOG. Most people outside of BITOG don't know what "zinc" even is, much less that too much can be a bad thing. There's quite a few, even reputable, engine builders who refuse to use a dedicated break-in oil, just keep adding Rislone or ZDDP-Plus to Rotella, and wonder why they can't get a flat tappet cam through the break-in.
Realizing his videos aren’t intended for just BITOG participants, they sure get posted here….
Your statement about “reputable engine builders” and failed flat tappet camshaft issues is an oxymoron.

It's far, far from that abomination known as PF. The testing is relevant where PF's "tests" aren't relevant at all. The tests were also done at SWRI, not in a garage. Sure, he rambles a bit, but it's just how he is. He does that with normal conversation where he'll talk your ear off on multiple tangents. He's excitable and likes to talk, in case you're wondering if he's just putting on a show for the videos.
Agree - I think we have a bunch of folks here that know a fraction of what he does and actually think bashing him elevates their status …
It’s actually the opposite …

We’re still waiting for your videos….

No need to hate on the Guy.
Many of us do not make videos. That does not mean the sharing of experience here is somehow invalid or useless. My oil related background covers production turbocharged engines, race turbocharged engines, corporate jet engines and bearings, outboard marine engines, and two stroke engines. Likely very different than others here. Some of the information carries over, some does not.

I enjoy LSjr's videos. I don't agree with a few of his positions.

I will sum up my position as follows: The oil change is the only way to remove contaminates such as combustion by products, evaporated fuel byproducts, soot, wear particulates and so on. Circulating a contaminated oil for an extended period of time, whether it held up or not, and whether or not it shows low wear metals in the UOA, is simply a way to circulate a diluted oil with wear causing particulates.

Last edited:
While LSJr may be an educated and learned tribologist, his presentations are purely for making money and sucking in the gullible with clickbait titles and endless ramblings. I liken his videos to polished versions of PF junk.
This may be the first and only time I both agree 100% and feel you under-stated the situation.

typical internet. People just have to complain. First PF and his bs tests. So now we have an educated scientific tester, and he is just in it for the money. Get over youself🙄. Seems like a nice guy and is sharing his knowledge. And youtube in return pays. Who cares. Thats why we allll have jobs. I would take his word over every single member of this board, minus Dave.

Last edited:
typical internet. People just have to complain. First PF and his bs tests. So now we have a educated scientific tester, and he is just in it for the money. Get over youself🙄. Seems like a nice guy and is sharing his knowledge. And youtube in return pays. Who cares. Thats why we allll have jobs.
This^
100% on every point.

armchair mechanics will always claim to know more than people who actually do and make the changes in the real world, like a nascar tribologist such as Lake. My dad taught me from a young age to think critically, question motives, read between the lines, and then take everything for what its worth...

Theres always a reason to be skeptical. Ultimately, as has been said, lake speed jr makes a living as a tribologist. He openly says things that could sever relationships with oil companies and potential sponsors of his day job and his side income with the YouTube channel. Seeing as most of what he has to say is corroborated by well experienced folks on forums such as this, and other independent non sponsored YouTubers who happen to make side income from having a YouTube channel, I lend him higher than average credibility.

That cannot be said for Scotty Kilmer, who, if you look through his channel history, flip flops on almost every issue! He also makes the worst click bait titles and thumbnails to lure views, and its really annoying. Unfortunately, even if the message is true, the advertising space is competitive online and if someone wants their content watched, they do have to play the game of making it "clickable" and interesting. Cant front someone for that.

typical internet. People just have to complain. First PF and his bs tests. So now we have an educated scientific tester, and he is just in it for the money. Get over youself🙄. Seems like a nice guy and is sharing his knowledge. And youtube in return pays. Who cares. Thats why we allll have jobs. I would take his word over every single member of this board, minus Dave.

Even over Molakule, dnewton3, Wayne, and the guy that is named TGeo or something. Lets not forget buster, and, well I am running out of names, AEHass.

Look, I don't get the hate. As you all know, I'm in the industry as well - Day to day distribution and utilization, as one of the largest distributors in the US, from the PCEO side, to Heavy industrial, mining, oil drilling, etc.

Everyone is going to have differing perspectives on this. Unlike PF, LSjr is giving his .02 - yes, he's going to try to sell something. But, it does echo what, I've said many times and other people have said even more here on BITOG. He looks at the world specifically from what he knows. I look at it from the perspective I know. He makes videos - I'm doubtful he makes money - but it's marketing as well for him. Which, is fine. It's a known-known.

He certainly knows more about cylinder lines, piston rings, piston designs, etc. Than I do. But, I also probably know substantially more about grease, industrial gear lubricants, fire resistant hydraulic fluids, bearing failures on rock crushers, turbine oils, high velocity flushing, filtration, etc.

Just different perspectives. We both agree that oil marketing is... Hilariously bad.

To his point: This is why high end Hydraulic fluids are... Typically zinc free formulas... There are other ways to skin that cat.

I don't hate, just with anything, it's the world from his perspective. Which, is a fairly good one.

1) since folks are throwing around YouTube, don't forget to support your local BITOG scum-dog capitalist friend Tigeo aka Karstgeo72 by sub'ing to his mediocre VW-themed YouTube channel...I'm nearly to 1000 subs but need your help! Maybe I'll do an oil video here soon and see if I can rile up everyone with my shameless use of Liquimoly additives/lies/etc. and flip/flop with HPL propaganda...definatley will have a click-bait title "I'M DONE WITH VWS B/C LM OIL IS HORRIBLE AND RUINED ALL THEM"

2) I like LSJR's videos but they are very "youtube" now as he is monetized and understands the algorithm...clearly he isn't producing them, many folks like this have folks doing that. I'd say he's the best "oil guy" on YouTube but I'm trying to talk to Rat540 and have a three-way death match with he, PF, and LSJR for the ultimate video that will get '00s banned from this site! Maybe I'll host the event at the KCE and go live with it.

1) since folks are throwing around YouTube, don't forget to support your local BITOG scum-dog capitalist friend Tigeo aka Karstgeo72 by sub'ing to his mediocre VW-themed YouTube channel...I'm nearly to 1000 subs but need your help! Maybe I'll do an oil video here soon and see if I can rile up everyone with my shameless use of Liquimoly additives/lies/etc. and flip/flop with HPL propaganda...definatley will have a click-bait title "I'M DONE WITH VWS B/C LM OIL IS HORRIBLE AND RUINED ALL THEM"

2) I like LSJR's videos but they are very "youtube" now as he is monetized and understands the algorithm...clearly he isn't producing them, many folks like this have folks doing that. I'd say he's the best "oil guy" on YouTube but I'm trying to talk to Rat540 and have a three-way death match with he, PF, and LSJR for the ultimate video that will get '00s banned from this site! Maybe I'll host the event at the KCE and go live with it.
"SUBSCRIBED"

Outside of not being able to stand his voice on personal level and mind you I'm no Andrea Bocelli myself that is my only qualm with him. I am also starting to get sick of Dave's Automotive political rants on emissions but enjoy watching his builds.

Thought you would look different-more nerdy.

"You're not Chinese !"
(Seinfeld)

Back