More VW Trouble: 2016 Desels Have New Suspect SW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: redbone3
I am surprised at the lack of comment on the EPA. They have written the rules to make it almost impossible to manufacture a diesel that runs well. And, they get to make up the rules without any legislative approval.

I am glad of EPA forcing this. Having been stuck behind a few older TDI's and MB's from 80's to 90's with the occasionally belch of black stinky smoke good riddance to dirty diesels. I rarely if ever get behind dirty gassers except with leaky oil seals or carb vintage cars you can smell but the diesels are quite noticeable.

MB and BMW are quite successful with diesels that meet emissions and perform incredibly well under EPA....VW are just cheaters. I find it so interesting the Mazda and Subaru stated they could not get their diesels to work for US market....Honda never said much but my guess not viable project either.

That all being said I really feel for a neighbor who owns a vibrant standalone excellent VW dealership. The TDI sold like mad locally and guessing more then the 25% uptake nationally. VW name is tarnished by many including my wife now who was considering GolfSportwagen.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I bet the shredders are working overtime at VW and I'm sure the IT guys are busy wiping the servers of any incriminating e-mails. Just another day at the office... lol

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/4734250/fun-with-****-and-jane-o.gif

They could have a retention policy where all emails are already deleted after 2 weeks, a month, etc. If you delete existing email, it's illegal. If retention policy deletes it for you and you just didn't have it, no problem.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Exactly. I'd be willing to bet upper management might not know how to read and/or write the code responsible, but they knew exactly what was going on.

Upper management might have said something like this: I/we don't care how we pass emissions, just get us to pass emissions! The reply: OK. lol

It's a combination of willful ignorance and plausible deniability. Upper management sets unrealistic and perhaps unattainable goals. Any subordinate who dares call attention to the shortcomings is either reassigned, censured or terminated. The message goes down the line, loud and clear- get it done. Period. Management could know the details but purposefully avoids doing so. If someone gets caught doing something wrong the bosses can say, "We didn't know. We never told anyone to do that. We are appaled by this, blah, blah, blah..."

It ends up looking a lot like how organized crime works. Does RICO apply to corporations?

Do diesel pick up trucks have to meet the same emission standards here is the US of A? Been next to some new ones at stops lights that emit a pretty [censored] acrid odor out the pipe.

Diesel pick 'em up trucks far out number diesel cars on the Roads of America, so was just wondering.

Originally Posted By: madRiver

I am glad of EPA forcing this. Having been stuck behind a few older TDI's and MB's from 80's to 90's with the occasionally belch of black stinky smoke good riddance to dirty diesels.

You are talking about 30 year old cars.... how is THAT relevant to this discussion?

I think the bigger picture question is what criteria(if any) does the EPA use to set the new mandates? Or do they just pull them out of their bums? I don't think the ENTIRE nations energy policy should be dictated by whoever the president( D or R ) APPOINTS to be the heads of the EPA...

Last edited:
Management didn't understand the code but they knew what they were asking.

Right now your just seeing some dancing because no one wants to take the fall.

They've already said they are sorry, cant we just leave it at that?

The guy who shot Cecil the Lion broke the law, but was never charged...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I bet the shredders are working overtime at VW and I'm sure the IT guys are busy wiping the servers of any incriminating e-mails. Just another day at the office... lol

They could have a retention policy where all emails are already deleted after 2 weeks, a month, etc. If you delete existing email, it's illegal. If retention policy deletes it for you and you just didn't have it, no problem.

Or if someone "accidentally" spills a stein of lager into the server..........

Wait for the denouement. Then we'll see how it developed into a $50 billion disaster. I'm hoping many things will be leaked out, maybe even the software code itself for us to look at! One can dream...

The engineers go thru extensive details and design of the engine and all associated parts to get all to work together the exact way they want, tuning, response, etc. There is no way that significant number of engineers didnt not only know about this but actually include it in their design parameters. There is no such thing as some rogue programmers that can just program in something and slip it in. Thats just foolish.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The engineers go thru extensive details and design of the engine and all associated parts to get all to work together the exact way they want, tuning, response, etc. There is no way that significant number of engineers didnt not only know about this but actually include it in their design parameters. There is no such thing as some rogue programmers that can just program in something and slip it in. Thats just foolish.

Yeah, but as a percentage, there are very few people working in engineering firms that would know about the vetting process, so the "we didn't know" line is very easily sold to the general public.

Granted I work in aerospace, so perhaps the standards are a bit higher, but the general process should be similar. Simply put, there is no "rouge" engineers. Every single design idea is first vetted by the senior designers and management and before it goes to production it has to pass various tests, all sorts of memos have to be written and signed off documenting the design problems, solution decisions, trade offs etc. All these things do not happen in a vacuum and involve teams of people.
That is why design and development costs so much money.

But an average person working in some sort of service industry would have no clue about these things and the big wigs know it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Hillary is available as a consultant.

I wouldn't be surprised if internal awards were handed out for the "innovative and outside the box" thinking of the emission team.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Originally Posted By: Benito
Exactly. There's probably one guy who was TOLD to do it who must have the highest blood pressure in all of Germany since Hitler waiting in his bunker.

His superiors are no doubt practicing exactly how they will claim he did it without their knowledge.

Who said it was "one guy"? Just bizarre statements. Without proof of communication up the chain of command, it could have been held close to a handful of people, at least at first. Others probably caught on later but were team players and decided not to rat them all out.
Your extreme statements are just odd. Hitler references are not called for.

You seem to lack both a sense of humor and an appreciation for the word "probably".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back