More bailouts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bailing out newpapers??

Quote:
"I truly believe that no democracy can remain healthy without an equally healthy press," said Fiedler, now dean of Boston University's College of Communication. "Thus it is in democracy's interest to support the press in the same sense that the human being doesn't hesitate to take medicine when his or her health is threatened."

Last I checked these guys are biting the dust because of the interweb, their insistence on hiring like minds (bias) and generally people not wanting to read (or not) yesterday's or the two days before news items and dealing with a bunch of recyclable paper.

This is not an "economic downturn" (I dislike that phrase) problem. This is not a government problem. This is not a "we the people" problem.

Wake up stooges!! It's too late, but what the heck!?

Lets not change... Lets keep everything the same. Change isn't good. Lets bailout all big business to keep changes from happening.
crackmeup2.gif
Are they for real?

I don't see anyone bailing out the Food Service Industry I work in and sales are down 30% because of the economy... We Feed America/Canada where's our bailout?

Without Food the economy would come to a standstill because people couldn't work!
LOL.gif

After the big 3 go under (I know I'm being too optimistic) it'll be colleges/universities, major city governments, newspaper, etc. Every industry that is government funded or unionized will get their bailout if up-and-coming government doesn't learn from their last mistakes.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Big media is too big to fail. They can't loose their propaganda machine after all.

Correct. They have to be paid back for the excellent job they did last few years!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Is FAUX News stock going up??

Fox has taken in a lot of the folks who quit the newspaper.

Commie News Network (CNN) used to get more, but they sort of leveled off.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Is FAUX News stock going up??

Fox has taken in a lot of the folks who quit the newspaper.

Commie News Network (CNN) used to get more, but they sort of leveled off.

Perfect come pack, Pablo! CNN is so biased I cringe when they have it on at work sometimes!

Off topic, but has anyone noticed that CNN became more conservative since Ted Turner sold it?

All news is biased to a degree, but I notice a lot less anti-Bush/Cheney now. Which is funny when all my ultra-liberal co-workers start saying how CNN is so right (as in correct).

Actually CNN gets plenty of complaints. But really, their man is in. All news will be good! (I'm actually only half kidding - there have been studies on this........look around..........)

Yeah the news will be great now, of course, but compared to what I've seen before, I saw a segment where Bush was getting praised. Doesn't happen much in the news, but still, I thought it was odd given how it's typically liberal.

I hear all the garbage about Fox News being biased, but have never noticed it. Just because they have common sense doesn't mean they're right-wing biased, but according to my co-workers, it does.

Mainstream news is inherently sensationalist and biased. Fox, CNN, etc. Watch at your own risk. Most stories are designed to confirm preconceived ideological beliefs rather than to inform. But that's what sells.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Mainstream news is inherently sensationalist and biased. Fox, CNN, etc. Watch at your own risk. Most stories are designed to confirm preconceived ideological beliefs rather than to inform. But that's what sells.

It's also about selling us cheeseburgers and large screen TVs (ie, keep us mice fat and happy - they took out the exercise wheel
LOL.gif
) so the powers that be can continue the pyramid scheme.

Last edited:
From Pablo's link:
Quote:
Connecticut's actions are not the first time government has helped newspapers. The U.S. Postal Service has offered discounted postage rates. Several cities have papers running under Joint Operating Agreements, created following the congressional Newspaper Preservation Act of 1970 to keep competing urban dailies viable despite circulation declines.

And on that topic:
Quote:
Practiced as long ago as the 1930s, JOAs were enshrined into law by the Newspaper Preservation Act of 1970, which provides a special antitrust exemption for geographically co-located newspapers that combine business operations. JOAs are a form of big government industrial policy meant to bolster the fortunes of also-ran newspapers in two-newspaper towns.

Today, many of the 12 existing JOAs involve Fortune 500 companies such as Gannett and Knight Ridder. In essence, these giant corporations are permitted to fix advertising and subscription rates in a way that two competing plumbers, or restaurants, or magazines never could. The theory is that it's so important to have competing newspapers that it's worth junking the free market to do it.

The thinking behind JOAs reflects antedeluvian notions of what constitutes media. And given the long-term trends of declining readership for daily newspapers—and the continuing growth of alternative weeklies, business newspapers, the Internet, and local cable networks—JOAs are increasingly hard to justify

http://www.slate.com/id/2082745/
They ALREADY have bailed them out 38 years ago!

It's amazing how insidious and intertwined all this stuff is.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

It's also about selling us cheeseburgers and large screen TVs (ie, keep us mice fat and happy - they took out the exercise wheel
LOL.gif

What pyramid scheme?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

LOL.gif

What pyramid scheme?

The US economy/government/banking industry/huge multinational corporations/media. Are you looking for some useless argument today Tempest?

I think more and more we're on the same page. We both agree that the government and CEOs of banks and giant corporations don't exactly have yours and my best interest in mind. They've created, throughout history, a system that greatly benefits themselves at the cost of the many. That was my point. American citizens are obviously less willing to do something about it when their guts are stuffed and their happy sitting in front of a giant screen TV (likely a part of their $10K in credit card debt).

What's funny is that some think that Fox isn't biased either, that somehow what they spew is any more truthful than the others.
Apparently, bias is in the eye of the beholder.

Quote:
Are you looking for some useless argument today Tempest?

Nope, just looking for a clarification as there didn't seem to be a pyramid scheme mentioned in this thread.

Quote:
I think more and more we're on the same page.

The very thought of it!!
grin2.gif
wink.gif

The only difference between me and Tempest is who deserves the boot or yoke placed around their neck for the amount of good they've done the nation in terms of benefit.

I'll stick with the mob and assault the ivory towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back