Moly???

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i just called Valvoline and the guy told me all
have ONLY 1%.....was hoping for more...
frown.gif

i guess i'll be looking for a different brand..

For your specific application of ball joints and steering linkage joints, Moly-fortified grease would be an excellent choice. Amsoil makes a 3% moly, Lithium Complex synthetic grease. It's good stuff. I use it where moly is specified...but if your universal joints have zerks and/or your wheel bearings are repackable, use a good EP Lith-Complex #2 NON-moly such as Mystik Hi-Temp JT-6 or Chevrom Delo in those application...or, if you're ordering Amsoil, I've not used their non-moly, LC synthetic grease, but it, too, has a noteworthy reputation.

stopped in at my local John Deer dealer looking for Kroil(
didn't see any
frown.gif
)and noticed they had 3% moly grease,would
love to find 5% locally,anyway so i may try some of that..

Quote:

stopped in at my local John Deer dealer looking for Kroil(
didn't see any
frown.gif
)and noticed they had 3% moly grease,would
love to find 5% locally,anyway so i may try some of that..

most blenders feel that 3% MoS2 is all you need and is what the vast majority of greases use.

Quote:

For your specific application of ball joints and steering linkage joints, Moly-fortified grease would be an excellent choice. Amsoil makes a 3% moly, Lithium Complex synthetic grease. It's good stuff. I use it where moly is specified...but if your universal joints have zerks and/or your wheel bearings are repackable, use a good EP Lith-Complex #2 NON-moly such as Mystik Hi-Temp JT-6 or Chevrom Delo in those application...or, if you're ordering Amsoil, I've not used their non-moly, LC synthetic grease, but it, too, has a noteworthy reputation.

I don't understand the reluctance of people to use a moly fortified grease in a universal joint needle roller.
It seems to come up on here semi-regularly yet I've never seen any compelling evidence suggesting it shouldn't be used and simplifies chassis lubrication, with enough exerts admitting to the practice and users (like me
grin.gif
) doing it for well over twenty years with my uni's lasting a very long time. (actually can't remember the last time I had to replace one)

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand the reluctance of people to use a moly fortified grease in a universal joint needle roller.
It seems to come up on here semi-regularly yet I've never seen any compelling evidence suggesting it shouldn't be used and simplifies chassis lubrication, with enough exerts admitting to the practice and users (like me
grin.gif
) doing it for well over twenty years with my uni's lasting a very long time. (actually can't remember the last time I had to replace one)

I think it will be just fine too to use,i plan on using
it any way,don't need 5 grease guns laying around..
pat2.gif

Quote:

grin.gif

Here's some good info:

Quote:

Molakule, I have 6 inches of scar tissue on my derriere from having once recommended a 3% moly grease for all applications for a coal company. Within a few months the company began having u-joint failures galore! On inspection of the U-Joints we found that the moly had centrifuged to the outer portions of the needle bearings, preventing new grease and replenishment oil from reaching the outer portions. In fact the outer portions of the needles had been eroded away from the pure moly! Thus the failures. I then switched them from one universal to two specialized. i.e. Moly additized for the plain bearings and non moly for the non friction bearings. Problem gone.. That was 10 years ago.... I still have the failed U joints in our warehouse as a reminder..

Quote:

I have 5 product data sheets for 3% moly greases from 5 different grease manufacturers that state "for use on heavily loaded sliding surfaces only. Do not use this moly additized grease in non-friction type bearings as the moly will cause premature bearing failures" or some variation of those words...

Quoted from this page: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=209183&page=19

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
A Molebdynem fortified grease is the absolute BEST choice you could make

Do you have a reference vs. sulphur/Phos/chlorinated greases?

Sulpur/Phos/chlorinated greases in my opinion are scam products that show well in demonstrations but will let you down in performance in real life. Corrosion and pitting can occur with yellow metal parts

Originally Posted By: LubeDr

Sulpur/Phos/chlorinated greases in my opinion are scam products that show well in demonstrations but will let you down in performance in real life. Corrosion and pitting can occur with yellow metal parts

I take it that you have experience with this? How often are yellow metals greased? I can't think of an automotive application.

Originally Posted By: TheRedlines
Quote:
grin.gif

Here's some good info:

Quote:
Molakule, I have 6 inches of scar tissue on my derriere from having once recommended a 3% moly grease for all applications for a coal company. Within a few months the company began having u-joint failures galore! On inspection of the U-Joints we found that the moly had centrifuged to the outer portions of the needle bearings, preventing new grease and replenishment oil from reaching the outer portions. In fact the outer portions of the needles had been eroded away from the pure moly! Thus the failures. I then switched them from one universal to two specialized. i.e. Moly additized for the plain bearings and non moly for the non friction bearings. Problem gone.. That was 10 years ago.... I still have the failed U joints in our warehouse as a reminder..

Quote:
I have 5 product data sheets for 3% moly greases from 5 different grease manufacturers that state "for use on heavily loaded sliding surfaces only. Do not use this moly additized grease in non-friction type bearings as the moly will cause premature bearing failures" or some variation of those words...

Quoted from this page: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Number=209183&page=19

Great info! Thanks.

Originally Posted By: TheRedlines
Quote:
grin.gif

Here's some good info:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been wondering about this and whether platelet size matters in relation to roller/needle bearings and centrifuging wear and just found this on a CAT recommendation sheet.

"This grade has a medium particle size of 3 microns to meet the special requirements of some rolling element bearings"

From the grease section of this paper http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/OEM Statements/2005_OEM_CatVersion9.pdf

Food for thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: LubeDr

I take it that you have experience with this? How often are yellow metals greased? I can't think of an automotive application.

Only older cars using king pins maybe?
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back