Not open for further replies.
I just got my whole front end rebuilt in my '99 4x4 chev
tie rods ball joints pitman's etc lots of $$ spent and i
want it to last a long long time,i plan on using Moly
grease is that the best choice guy's or should i use
something else??????????

thanks...

Is Moly the brand name?

At a minimum, you should use NLGI 2 grease with EP additive. Most of the available greases are lithium-based, and you should stay with the same base throughout the part's service life. Molybdenum DiSulfide is an EP additive.

One good brand is Mobil 1 synthetic grease, commonly available at most auto parts stores.

There's really no need for the use of a Moly fortified grease in a vehicle. Moly is most commonly called for and used in extreme pressure applications such as excavation equipment. A good example is that Caterpillar calls for it in their excavation equipment. In this type of application there are times that all the grease may get squeezed out of a bucket/loader pin due to very high load pressures and in this type of boundary lubrication the Moly provides at least some lubrication from frictional wear.

Pick a good NGLI #2 grease rated GC-LB and you should be fine.

Quote:

Is Moly the brand name?

Hi thanks for the reply,

no, you can get just pure moly in grease,can't remember
what brand tho..i thought that would be the best choice
for this app.?????

so M1 synthetic would be a good choice then??

Quote:

Pick a good NGLI #2 grease rated GC-LB and you should be fine.

Ok...thanks.
smile.gif

Moly might be part of the "brand name" but what it really means is that the grease is moly fortified. You will find many grease manufacturers that make one grease and also offer the same grease moly fortified. Usually somewhere between 2-5% of the grease is replaced with moly. TRC's 880 crown and chassis grease is a good example. You can get the regular 880 C&C or you can get the Moly 880 C&C. The only difference is the Moly 880 C&C has had 5% of the grease replaced with moly.

FWIW I've always used a 3% moly fortified Li complex grease for my chassis lubrication. MoS2's forte is low speed high load EP applications, and I reckon a 4WD and farm equipment fit that.
A 3-5% moly grease is also generally called for in CV joints, and it excels in sliding spline couplings (think plunging driveshafts)

There's no such thing as too much protection

Read on a different thread......moly is an anti-wear and a friction modifier. So using it on dang near any moving part, front end parts wheel bearings and CV joints would make total sense. Heck Schaafers uses moly in their gear oils and some engine oils

Quote:

moly is an anti-wear and a friction modifier. So using it on dang near any moving part, front end parts wheel bearings and CV joints would make total sense.

Right.. that's why i got the idea of using Moly on front end parts would be the best..

A Molebdynem fortified grease is the absolute BEST choice you could make for the ball joints/steering knuckles and tie rod ends in your pickup. Caterpillar specifies 3% moly for their equipment and others like Mobil Special are only about 1-1/2%. Some auto makers SPECIFY moly grease. Just because you're truck is "just" a half or 3/4 ton, doesn't mean it's stearing linkage isn't loaded (PSI of bearing surface) up pretty good. "Cat" spec grease is all I use on my front ends. Beware, it isn't recommended for certain ball bearing applications where "skidding" may occur. $.02

Quote:

A Molebdynem fortified grease is the absolute BEST choice you could make for the ball joints/steering knuckles and tie rod ends in your pickup. Caterpillar specifies 3% moly for their equipment and others like Mobil Special are only about 1-1/2%. Some auto makers SPECIFY moly grease. Just because you're truck is "just" a half or 3/4 ton, doesn't mean it's stearing linkage isn't loaded (PSI of bearing surface) up pretty good. "Cat" spec grease is all I use on my front ends. Beware, it isn't recommended for certain ball bearing applications where "skidding" may occur. $.02

Thanks for your post!!!!

where can a guy get "Cat" spec grease from what brand do you
use???

Quote:

Quote:

A Molebdynem fortified grease is the absolute BEST choice you could make

Do you have a reference vs. sulphur/Phos/chlorinated greases?

Nope. Just some 30 years of machinery repair experience and an unending quest for the very finest lubricants available for my rolling stock.
cool.gif

Keep in mind the Caterpillar greases are made with calcium sulfonate thickener. Calcium sulfonate has excellent water washout properties. But not all lithium based greases are compatible with the Caterpillar greases. You'll probably need to completely flush out the old grease, then stick with a calcium sulfonate grease for the life of the parts.

Quote:

Quote:

Start here... http://www.cat.com/cda/layout?m=109560&x=7

Most ANY supply store that services heavy equipment users carries a "CAT spec" grease, 3% minimum moly content, made by Castrol, Mobil, etc.

Again thanks,

now that shows 5% if i'm seeing that right..

Correct... I beleive the Cat spec is "minimum" 3%, and the super-duper-gold-$$$$ stuff there is 5%. They also have a lesser grade (prolly only $$, lol) available. And some cold weather specific, and desert specific.

Thanks guy's..

can you get a low temp Moly greas for say winter
applications's,so parts don't drag,move freely????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back