GM truck steering gears = OEM, Reman, Redhead, Bluetop or something else?

There is a lot of play/slop in the IFS front end of our 2007 2500 Suburban. I plan on replacing everything up front with at least OEM, and maybe Cognito/Kryptonite products (if they are worth it) (everything: Upper/lower ball joints and bushings, tie rods, center link, idler arm, pitman arm, sway bar endlinks, steering damper) including the steering box. I have heard of a lot of mixed reviews with reman steering boxes. Does anyone here have any experience with redhead or bluetop boxes? and aftermarket/beefier front end components? GM IFS has always been an issue with GMT800 and GMT900 series trucks. Trying to pre-plan all this before I roll around on the garage floor and inevitably start breaking things. Thanks.

I have all the parts to do my 2002 GMC 3500. Got some of the Cognito parts too, I just haven't had the time to be without the truck while I do it. I haven't bought it yet but I'm going to get the Redhead gear.

i’ve heard mixed reviews on readhead boxes but when the time comes i’ll be going that route (234k on original box). as far as front end components, i have 40k lifted 10” on 22x14 inch wheels and 35x15.5r22 tires running kryptonite balljoints, tie rods and hub’s. i went with rare parts for idler and pitman arms as i couldn’t justify the squeeze for kryptonite. the rare parts stuff has play in it already and it only has roughly 15k on it. i wouldn’t replace the factory center link, there really isn’t an issue with it but i would recommend anything kryptonite sells. as far as the idler and pitman braces, you can buy either the kryptonite or cognito they are the same but required to make your truck feel like it’s on rails going down the road. just make sure you register the parts after purchasing.

for a steering stabilizer, this is the only one that i’ve tried that has made a difference.

Last edited:
On my 2000 Silverado I bought ACDELCO Reman. Steering box on rock auto, had real good luck with that.The box looked factory new.

Last edited:
I have all the parts to do my 2002 GMC 3500. Got some of the Cognito parts too, I just haven't had the time to be without the truck while I do it. I haven't bought it yet but I'm going to get the Redhead gear.
Im in the same boat. I’m budgeting a long weekend, maybe 2 in order to do it right. I just know some of the lower ball joints and bushings are going to require convincing in the form of compressed air and a sledge.
i’ve heard mixed reviews on readhead boxes but when the time comes i’ll be going that route (234k on original box). as far as front end components, i have 40k lifted 10” on 22x14 inch wheels and 35x15.5r22 tires running kryptonite balljoints, tie rods and hub’s. i went with rare parts for idler and pitman arms as i couldn’t justify the squeeze for kryptonite. the rare parts stuff has play in it already and it only has roughly 15k on it. i wouldn’t replace the factory center link, there really isn’t an issue with it but i would recommend anything kryptonite sells. as far as the idler and pitman braces, you can buy either the kryptonite or cognito they are the same but required to make your truck feel like it’s on rails going down the road. just make sure you register the parts after purchasing.

for a steering stabilizer, this is the only one that i’ve tried that has made a difference.

I was planning on using the bilstein option, but I’ll look into the rancho. I’m pretty set on Kryptonite now I appreciate the feedback. Lifetime warranty is nice. I just don’t know about Redhead.
On my 2000 Silverado I bought ACDELCO Reman. Steering box on rock auto, had real good luck with that.The box looked factory new.
How long ago did you install it? How’s it running now slop wise

Im in the same boat. I’m budgeting a long weekend, maybe 2 in order to do it right. I just know some of the lower ball joints and bushings are going to require convincing in the form of compressed air and a sledge.

I was planning on using the bilstein option, but I’ll look into the rancho. I’m pretty set on Kryptonite now I appreciate the feedback. Lifetime warranty is nice. I just don’t know about Redhead.

bilstein is a gas charged shock, it will make the truck pull to the right and you want the polished rough country steering stabalizer.

bilstein is a gas charged shock, it will make the truck pull to the right and you want the polished rough country steering stabalizer.
I have the Bilstein on my 2002, it didn't make it pull at all. That saying, I have the RC on other trucks, it's an awesome unit that works well.

Put ACDELCO REMAN. in 10 years ago, was marked rebuilt in Acdelco facility.Ran it for 110,000 miles was still tight and leak free when I sold truck!

I did read that, just saying it didn't do that to mine at all.
It's the same thing on JL forums. Plenty of guys claim the gas charged units make it pull. But others say not. I haven't tried it, but on a solid axle it does make sense to me that it could. IFS linkages muddy the waters a bit.

Fortunately I'm just too cheap to pay for the high-zoot stabilizers. I try to find the least expensive (and preferably for a stock application) that'll quell DW, and that's good enough for me ;)

Back