Mobil1 vs Amsoil European 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
I merely want to know the meaningful physical/chemical differences between these 2 oils.

Wouldn't we all?
smile.gif

Mobil 1 is way cheaper and carries legit OE approvals. Those are the only differences that we mortals can really discern.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
I merely want to know the meaningful physical/chemical differences between these 2 oils.
Could be differences in the percentage of PAO (Group IV) vs. Group III (highly refined & modified crude oil).

Mobil 1 0w-40 was almost all-PAO about a decade ago, and then started putting in cheaper Group III basestocks to mix with around half-PAO and still "passing" all specs of course.

http://www.eclipse95.altervista.org/olio/mobil-1-new-live.pdf ...see slides 20-on for the story. Some extra high temperature deposits and cold flow properties was about the extent of the reduced performance from the looks of it.

This is the type of info I am looking for. THANKS! 45 pages.....

And how is it useful when it is outdated information?

Its an interesting paper. Some oils do claim to be 100% GroupIV/V (no groupIII), and Joe Gibbs Racing Driven 5w-40 (Lubrizol and engine builder collaborative effort) claims that. Also some of Motul's oils I think, both good brands. The paper presentation basically outlines Mobil's way of meeting all the tough specs STILL while adding Group III to their formulas a while back. They sacrificed little performance really. Hardly noticeable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Could be differences in the percentage of PAO (Group IV) vs. Group III (highly refined & modified crude oil).

Mobil 1 0w-40 was almost all-PAO about a decade ago, and then started putting in cheaper Group III basestocks to mix with around half-PAO and still "passing" all specs of course.

http://www.eclipse95.altervista.org/olio/mobil-1-new-live.pdf ...see slides 20-on for the story. Some extra high temperature deposits and cold flow properties was about the extent of the reduced performance from the looks of it.

And how is it useful when it is outdated information?

I like history??? C'mon, can't I be the judge of how relevant a response is to MY question? Just because it means "nothing" to you...I probably am not nearly informed as you are.

Its an interesting paper. Some oils do claim to be 100% GroupIV/V (no groupIII), and Joe Gibbs Racing Driven 5w-40 (Lubrizol and engine builder collaborative effort) claims that. Also some of Motul's oils I think, both good brands. The paper presentation basically outlines Mobil's way of meeting all the tough specs STILL while adding Group III to their formulas a while back. They sacrificed little performance really. Hardly noticeable.

Once again, thanks! Why all these "tudes"? Oh, and not yours!

Maybe the Christmas Visa bills already arrived?

Last edited:
Carry on.

No harm, no foul
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
He asked for meaningful differences. Besides, you are claiming to know the composition of M1 today and the Amsoil oil?

Those are differences, and you can assign whatever "meaning" you want. I haven't claimed to know what Amsoil is blending, no. Never have. Having trouble with your reading comprehension again, or are you simply grumpy again?

No, you went on about the PAO content of M1 using old information which may or may not relate to what the composition is today. But at the same time you have no idea what the PAO percentage is in Amsoil, so how would you make any kind of meaningful conclusion out of what you posted?

The only honest answer I could possibly give is that it looks like the Amsoil oil carries no actual certifications but the ExxonMobil product does. I challenge anyone to show how this isn't meaningful and how anything else that's publicly available is.

kschacn and QuattroPete, the information in the 10 year old Mobil presentation is relevant as a completed engineering exercise to use cheaper GroupIII basestocks mixed in to PAO.
If I had insider info about every proprietary oil formula, I could reference it all. Instead, I can find some industry performance stories to support basic ideas.

If you two have any info, please feel free to type it in. Thanks. Anything at all.

If you two have any info, please feel free to type it in. Thanks. Anything at all.

I just did. One carries actual certs and one doesn't.

The only honest answer I could possibly give is that it looks like the Amsoil oil carries no actual certifications but the ExxonMobil product does. I challenge anyone to show how this isn't meaningful and how anything else that's publicly available is.

It seems you are having a hard time understanding my question. But it's probably me.

I want to know their chemical/physical differences. What about their individual compositions makes them different?

Are you feeling ok? It might be better for you if you unsubscribed to this thread. It seems this thread has really got you churned up. But it's probably just me.

It seems you are having a hard time understanding my question. But it's probably me.

I want to know their chemical/physical differences. What about their individual compositions makes them different?

Are you feeling ok? It might be better for you if you unsubscribed to this thread. It seems this thread has really got you churned up. But it's probably just me.

What they are tryng to tell you is no one has that information...
21.gif

kschacn and QuattroPete, the information in the 10 year old Mobil presentation is relevant as a completed engineering exercise to use cheaper GroupIII basestocks mixed in to PAO.

But is it relevant to the question in the OP?

It is to the OP.

Nobody can answer composition questions between the two brands unless you get an amsoil and mobil engineers to provide you proprietary information on the oils composition. Which wont happen, so whats the point in this thread?

It is to the OP.

Can you explain how it is relevant?

It is to the OP.

Can you explain how it is relevant?

Yes, but I feel if I did you may criticize me so I'll just leave it alone. If that's okay with you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Nobody can answer composition questions between the two brands unless you get an amsoil and mobil engineers to provide you proprietary information on the oils composition. Which wont happen, so whats the point in this thread?

I honestly have a much higher opinion of the forum than that. There are some very wise and savvy tribologists here.

Hey, you gotta have faith...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back