Mobil one 5-20, vs. mobil one 0-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Not complicated to me. Chrysler Tsb 09-015-4 states. "Vehicles with multiple displacement systems MUST USE 5-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the multiple displacement system."

At a certain point, it's probably worth thinking a little more critically.

I misread the owners manual and ran 5W30 in the 07 for 40k or so then switched to 0W20 so it's probably not a fair comparison. There did seem to be a minor increase in mileage but certainly nothing earth shattering. I have actually always run 10W30 in the 97 as well as the 98 that my stepdaughter drives. They've never had anything else so it's hard to say if there would be an effect of switching to 5W30. All three of these Camrys get just under 30mpg which I consider to be very good for a 3000+ lb car. The 97 and 98 have the sludge prone 4 cyl engine. M1 with 5-6k ocis have kept both engines in really good shape.

all the bull pup about the xxW20 oils when the same engines in Europe spec a xxW30 or even xxW40!!! i call Bull PUP on the thin oils only for MPG's + NOT better protection. $$$$$ runs everything in the USA be it true or Bull PUP!!

Originally Posted by pwr2tow
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Its been SPECULATED (hands waving furiously) that the M1 0wXX oils have a higher VI base stock and are therefore possibly more shear-stable than their 5wXX counterparts.

I would also speculate that 5w20 EP is better suited to long (10k mile plus) drain intervals than 0w20AFE, although my own runs of 0w30 AFE look like they've got life left at 7000 miles.

Is that enough weasel words for one post? I think so :)

That's what I was trying to find information on the speculation the 0 was stouter then the 5 weight. I don't do long drain intervals but I do run my 5.7 hemi pretty hard.

I run Mobil 1 AFE 0W/30 in my RAM Hemi 5.7 and prefer it over the 20 wts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back