Mobil Clean 5000 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by jorton:
Is this a mixed fleet HDEO? I was reading the gasoline and deisel engine specs on the back of the bottle.

If I compare it with the HDEO standard Delo 400plus, the sodium in this Clean 5000 worries me a little.

Do you think that formula will prove to be safe in the long run?

This is a straight PCMO that has some older diesel certs. I wouldn't run it in any diesel that I owned.

Buzzsaw, I didn't request TBN on this sample. Sorry about that.
wink.gif

I hate to see these sodium numbers bc it will be more difficult to get a read on early coolant leaks
dunno.gif
. I know that DexCool has Potassium in it but I'm done with "DexBrick" I'm convinced that the bad things about this coolant are true. I used it in my 2001 Nissan Sentra and I neded to replace my heater core.

Now I use the Nissan Coolant and don't know if it has Potassium in it.
dunno.gif

Regarding the original VOA on Mobil 5000 and the incredibly high sodium and potassium reported...
I just got another VOA from Predicitve Maintenance for a virgin sample and Sodium was 2, Potassium 1; i.e. just 'noise' levels..
This previously reported sample created issues with one of our folks in that his engine DID have an elevated sodium/potassium and engine was one of those with glycol problems. He questioned our alert due to the erroneous sample reported on this thread and that given the VOA level, possible false alert. It was not.....
Conintued:
Magnesium 10
Calcium 2243
Phosphorous: 815
Zinc: 909

Either the original sample sent to the Brand X lab was contaminated or lab procedures caused the problem..
George Morrison, STLE CLS
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio
614-492-2000

Is this stuff (Mobile Clean 5000) any good? any good at all? I want to continue using it if it is, but I don't understand all the technical lingo here. Is this stuff better than the Valvoline All Climate I'm so use to using, or the Castrol GTX?

Yes, Clean 5000 is an excellent oil. (I am biased but due to performance) We have fleets running this oil in sales vehicles, small delivery and they are not driven lovingly. Many Chev/Ford engines with 200,000+ miles on them, no oil usage. One fleet pulled a valve cover at 220,000 miles "just to see". The innards were spotless.. It is a commercial oil with superb base stocks, robust additive package and a real sleeper.. As a mineral base oil, superior in every way...
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio

Thank you George.
I've typically ran Valvoline or Castrol dino, but really like the new guarantee that Exxon/Mobil provides with this oil. I realize guarantees are sort of tricky, but IMO, I would find it hard to beleive that Mobil would put something out that were junk. I don't see tha happening. This Mobil 5000 to me makes using a synthetic a non-issue. Why bother with syn if a dino can perform this well?

Does the number for Moly of 64 indicate a good # for amount of Moly?
Anyone know if this may be a better oil than Castrol conventional?

"He questioned our alert due to the erroneous sample reported on this thread and that given the VOA level, possible false alert. It was not..... "

That doesn't explain the high sodium in these two UOAs, though:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002933#000000

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002821#000000

And if Mobil Clean 5000 is indeed the same as Exxon Superflo:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=11&t=000321

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002582

dunno.gif

Regarding:
"That doesn't explain the high sodium in these two UOAs, though:"
From my position, there IS an explanation.. Either the sample container was contaminated or laboratory procedures..
I can assure you that there are no current ExxonMobil engine oil formulations that contain that level of sodium/potassium in new oil!
Which is why we have a lot of interested folks to ensure valid information is presented..
AV Lubricants Inc.

Mossad and George, First the add pack in XOM 5w/10w-30 5000 and 7500 are very similar.

Our VOA testing using Blackstone Labs and Butler show 200 -300 ppm range of Na in testing. Check out the Butler VOA of XOM DC 5w and 10w-30 listed here. Stinky ran them on the new formulas himself.

Normally K is 1 ppm or so.

I doubt a automated ICP from one CAT lab and the Bklabs results are that wrong. XOM DC oils consistently show na in the 250 ppm range give or take +/- 50 ppm when seen in UOA.

Is XOM reformulating the add pack ? If so I am not seeing that.

Mossad, ( interesting handle), XOM DC is a fine oil, employ analysis to verify but do not hesistate to run that oil chemistry.

Terry,
Insofar as what you can tell, the Mobil Clean 5000 and 7500 both are great oils?
Above average from what you've seen?

I would not hesitate to use them. Your application and environment would need to verified by UOA. Optimize with periodic Auto-RX. LC and FP all the time.

Terry

Terry,
I can tell you this.. I'm using the MC 5000 right now, and I will personally stick with a 4mo/4k interval. And I can tell you that at 4mo, I will be lucky if I have close to 3k on the oil. So my aplication is certainly on the safe side. I think this may be the best oil for me considering the price and the add pack it has. agree?

Regarding: 'Our VOA testing using Blackstone Labs and Butler show 200 -300 ppm range of Na in testing. Check out the Butler VOA of XOM DC 5w and 10w-30 listed here. Stinky ran them on the new formulas himself.Normally K is 1 ppm or so.I doubt a automated ICP from one CAT lab and the Bklabs results are that wrong. XOM DC oils consistently show na in the 250 ppm range give or take +/- 50 ppm when seen in UOA."
I have literally hundreds of used Mobil Clean 5000 7500 oil analysis from both AV Labs and ExxonMobil labs which indicate low level, 10ppm or less, sodium & potassium and all of our VOA's reflect 0 to 1 ppm noise level, again, from both labs.. A level in the 200 to 300 ppm would make early detection of glycol one difficult job!
Something is wrong but I do not believe it is on our end as I review literally hundreds of ExxonMobil analysis a day and I do not see the previously reported levels of sodium/potassium in any results EXCEPT where there is indeed glycol presence..
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio
614-492-2000

I'm glad to see some Exxon/Mobil "henchmen" in here refuting all the crap we read about Mobil.
I personally believe that Mobil has too big a reputationt uphold and would NEVER put some crap on the market. Their name alone should really be enought to trust it. I see the value of UOA's, but if what George states is true. someone needs to do their research and find out what the real deal is with their UOA reports before posting them here.

George I have no reason to question you on this except I've got at least 2 INDEPENDENT,unrelated, and reputable labs, presenting ( butler and blackstone) Na component in DC XOM 5000 and 7500. If that is incorrect we sure have lots of engines with coolant leaks using this oil line all the sudden. How would the Na get in there clean? 2 different labs multiple tests? As you know Na is not the only trace for coolant. Na is also a common add pack component in many oils. It also depletes rapidly in use depending on the formulation (see Molakule na add component comments) explained earlier in this thread.

Is it possible that the clean and UOA DC oils testing we have seen using DC 5000/7500 are from a formulation that has recently been changed?

If that is the case I would like to know the current DC 5000 and 7500 elemental baseline for our own company.

Mossad, as far as brands and trusting companies I am not in the marketing business. I am in the business of interpreting independent data regardless of marketing issues. Oil analysis cuts through lots of marketing baloney.

Terry

[ November 11, 2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back