Mobil 102 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned earlier, if you undue the plug at the end of the port above the filter there is no spring or plunger; there's nothing in there.
The relief valve can be seen in the photo adjacent to the adapter, so it looks to have been inserted from below. My question is whether or not it is removable?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
As mentioned earlier, if you undue the plug at the end of the port above the filter there is no spring or plunger; there's nothing in there.
The relief valve can be seen in the photo adjacent to the adapter, so it looks to have been inserted from below. My question is whether or not it is removable?

Aaah, I see what you're looking at. If you zoom in on the photo it looks like it might be removable with some kind of special tool. There looks to be 4 slots in the end of the plug.

Do you have access to a Service Manual ... it might show if the bypass valve is removable/serviceable or not.

Geez, obvious after a bit of discussion, I should have spied it

If it's insert able, it's removable...not necessarily in one piece

The exploded view I was looking at shows a ball and spring above that cap. You gotta think that the cap would be removable for replacement and that the solid insert in yours would simply thread in in it's place. Based on that a Daewoo valve and cap may work, if you can get the pieces out. May be just as easy to source one overseas though as find the Daewoo unit.

Whole pumps aren't that pricey...when you buy 500 from China...

Seriously, if it were mine, my next experiment would be a compatible pump from one or other of the global makes (new), without messing with the already messed with pump

Thanks guys.
Yes I can get a new (Daewoo) pump for $40 bucks on ebay. The pump is likely an original Vauxhall/Opel part made in England or Germany just like the German made Daewoo T'stat is.

My car only has 30k miles on it so the pump is in otherwise as new condition. Replacing the pump while straight forward does involve removing a few ancillaries including the cam timing belt (just replaced two years ago) which is more than I'm prepared to do at this time (it's getting cold now in the garage!). If the Caterham plug in the by-pass port can be easily removed and replaced with a OEM valve in situ then it may be would be worth doing. If not then a WIX filter with the base end by-pass is just fine.

What exactly is your goal again? After 6 pages I think I lost track.
lol.gif

My original query was why the M1 102 oil filter lowered my maximum system oil pressure to 84 psi (cold oil) vs 90 psi with all the other filters I've used including the NAPA (WIX) 51348.

In exploring oil filter options I discovered that the OEM filter is metric and has no by-pass valve. The Caterham filter has a 3/4-16 thread with a by-pass valve.
Thanks to the contribution of various members I now know that Caterham modified the OEM oil pump and the reason why.
I can now make a fully informed oil filter choice.

Milton Auto Parts gave me a nice discount on the WIX 51348XP for $10.68. I don't think you can get a synthetic glass media filter for less than than in Canada let alone one with the by-pass valve in the preferred location.

I do like the apparent quality of the XP filter which included chamfered oil holes presumably to increase the oil flow into the filter.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Milton Auto Parts gave me a nice discount on the WIX 51348XP for $10.68. I don't think you can get a synthetic glass media filter for less than than in Canada let alone one with the by-pass valve in the preferred location.

Nope, I don't think you're going to beat that without some major, major luck up here. I'm going to venture that beating that price with the non-XP Wix would be difficult up here.

Yep, that is very close to list price I used to get at NAPA for a regular 51348 or 51040. If the right guy was on the counter I would get jobber price sometimes.

After removing the M1-102 filter and examining it, it does appear to have the by-pass valve at the base plate end like WIX and Motorcraft.
It is a heavier filter than WIX and only has 6 entrance holes
vs the 8 holes of WIX. The M1 holes are also slightly smaller an are not chamfered like the WIX holes. I don't if that has contributed to the M1-102 filter being more restrictive but I'm sure it doesn't help.

^^^ I doubt the difference in base plate inlet holes has any real impact on the flow performance of the filter - if it does, it's insignificant (ie, less than a PSI difference in delta-p). The media is most restrictive component in an oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back