Mobil 1 now containing GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one answered what FS stood for...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Wow! M1 0w40 European Formula is no more?

Was there previously multiple versions of 0w40 available ?

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
From the MSDS for the new Mobil 1 FS 0w-40:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!

So this either means they finally got their own bloody GTL plant on-line (which they have been working on) or they are buying GTL from SOPUS.

Decene is a C10 (10 carbon atoms per molecule). Wouldn't more C18-50 hydrocarbons provide better lubrication than a C10? It's a good thing, right?

I'm hardly a chemist, but it looks like paraffin wax is made up mostly of C20-40 hydrocarbons...I sure don't want a lot of wax in my oil.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

There were some guesses made earlier. Out of those, I like "Full SAPS" the best.

Quote:

Not in the US. But it looks like now there may be: M1 0w-40 FS and M1 0w-40 ESP.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Wow! M1 0w40 European Formula is no more?

In the ROW, yes. Even the same product sold under different names, LOL! For a while the European market had Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40 (same as our Euro 0w-40), Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0w-40 (same oil) and Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40.

Over here, we only had the one product, as the ESP 0w-40 wasn't sold in North America (and has never been on either the US or Canadian website).

Back in January IIRC, the PDS for ESP 0w-40 showed up on the US PDS search engine (though it still doesn't show up on the website) and the FS bottles began showing up in stores around the end of last year? In January the PDS for M1 0w-40 was pulled. More recently the website was updated to show the FS 0w-40 but there is still not a PDS for the FS 0w-40 shown on the US side.

However!

There is a Canadian PDS for the FS 0w-40:
http://pds.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_FS_0W-40.aspx

Dated February, 2016.

And yes, there's been no clarification from Mobil on what the FS stands for though it is likely Full SAPS.

Originally Posted By: DrRoughneck
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
From the MSDS for the new Mobil 1 FS 0w-40:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!

So this either means they finally got their own bloody GTL plant on-line (which they have been working on) or they are buying GTL from SOPUS.

Decene is a C10 (10 carbon atoms per molecule). Wouldn't more C18-50 hydrocarbons provide better lubrication than a C10? It's a good thing, right?

The decene is the light part of the PAO base oil. Decene has a 2 cst viscosity with high thermal stability, so the Noak will be lowered a lot by that, reducing the volatility of the lighter part of the oil.

Last edited:
Mobil1 0W40 is very good oil. No mistake in buying that.
However, I am not sure based on numbers how this oil distinguishes itself? HTHS is OK, nothing else. I liked MRV, but unless NOACK is ridiculously low, I am not sure why I would buy this oil and not Castrol 0W40? or Pennzoil Platinum Euro with HTHS of 3.88cp and NOACK of 6.8%.
Unless Mobil brings ESP version, I think my garage wont see Mobil1 0W40 anymore.

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Not the best oil, since is a compromise between cost production and gross profit...

They all are
21.gif

Not the best oil, since is a compromise between cost production and gross profit...

Name one oil that is superior in wear protection, but costs significantly less than the masses and is available everywhere?

Originally Posted By: edyvw
However, I am not sure based on numbers how this oil distinguishes itself? HTHS is OK, nothing else. I liked MRV, but unless NOACK is ridiculously low, I am not sure why I would buy this oil and not Castrol 0W40? or Pennzoil Platinum Euro with HTHS of 3.88cp and NOACK of 6.8%.
Unless Mobil brings ESP version, I think my garage wont see Mobil1 0W40 anymore.

I provided a VOA, and I guess someone will soon share an UOA, that's when we should write off the oil all together.

If the new M1 really contains GTL basestock, then it's not going to show up in a VOA.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629

I provided a VOA, and I guess someone will soon share an UOA, that's when we should write off the oil all together.

If the new M1 really contains GTL basestock, then it's not going to show up in a VOA.

Blackstone can't tell if an oil is dino or synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Lots of posts, no one knows if this is beneficial to the end user?

It still has most of the same certs (except LL-01) and approvals so I don't think it is anything to the end user unless you plan on starting where it is -40C at which point the new product is going to pump easier.

Name one oil that is superior in wear protection, but costs significantly less than the masses and is available everywhere?

No, just pay more if you want a better product.Not all more expensive is better, depends on application. Joe Gibbs Racing oils is way better from protection against wear on a track, for example and uses mPAO, A THING M1 NEVER HAD NOR WILL.

No, just pay more if you want a better product.Not all more expensive is better, depends on application. Joe Gibbs Racing oils is way better from protection against wear on a track, for example and uses mPAO, A THING M1 NEVER HAD NOR WILL.

Like you said, it depends on application. We are not talking about racing oils here. M1 0w-40 is for street applications and has to adhere to API/ACEA restrictions. XOM does have racing oils in its portfolio, too, but they don't claim any API or ACEA compliance. So, that's kind of apples to oranges comparison.

How do Joe Gibbs racing oils compare to M1 racing oils? Can you provide links to to some objective comparison tests?

Mobil doesn't seem to use their own mPAO in their formulations. If they do, it's in small amounts based on the MSDS.

True,
I did UOA once on M1 0W40 in my VW CC, and I liked that it was really stout, with cst of 13.3 after 5K. However, TBN depleted to 2.6 which was worrying.

I did UOA once on M1 0W40 in my VW CC, and I liked that it was really stout, with cst of 13.3 after 5K. However, TBN depleted to 2.6 which was worrying.

Was it the first time you running that oil in that engine?

Originally Posted By: buster
Mobil doesn't seem to use their own mPAO in their formulations. If they do, it's in small amounts based on the MSDS.

I'm not sure if they would be required to differentiate between PAO and mPAO on an MSDS, they could probably use a pile of different PAO bases and they'd all fall under the same CAS number.

This is why Pontual postulating that they don't use it in their products is absurd. They manufacture it, why wouldn't they use it? It isn't like Gibbs manufactures base oils, they probably buy them from XOM, including the mPAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back