Mobil 1 now containing GTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
What is the economic benefit of moving to GTL, when XOM is such a large producer of top notch PAO base oils?

You can be a large producer of PAO, but that doesn't mean PAO is cheaper to produce than GTL.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: buster
What is the economic benefit of moving to GTL, when XOM is such a large producer of top notch PAO base oils?

You can be a large producer of PAO, but that doesn't mean PAO is cheaper to produce than GTL.

Or better for that matter.

I sent out my FS sample to Blackstone for a VOA, don't know what will we learn, but I included a TBN test, should get the results back Monday.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
I sent out my FS sample to Blackstone for a VOA, don't know what will we learn, but I included a TBN test, should get the results back Monday.

THANK YOU!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

THANK YOU!
thumbsup2.gif

Yes, Thank You !

Thanx man!

BMW LL-01 is officially removed from the Mobil website for 0W40

Yup, and it now speaks to the FS product:

Originally Posted By: Mobil
Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:

and states:

This is a replacement to product Mobil 1 0W-40

And the oil selector has been updated to reflect this change:

Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-30 viscosity and oil that meets BMW Longlife LL-01. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1C-252.

When I put in an '03 330i.

Oooh, updated product guide, too: https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

robert

Originally Posted By: VR6OOM
I wish they would provide the NOACK information....

Gotta be no more than 10%. Does it make a huge difference if it's 8 or 9 or 10%?

Has to be less than 10% doesn't it? In order to meet the MB spec.

Did you get the results yet?

Wow! M1 0w40 European Formula is no more? That should be some earth-shaking news, considering how often it is recommended on this forum. Seems like we should have some kind of memorial service on BITOG.

PDS specs look about the same, but it is a little thinner. TSR calculates out to .86.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Wow! M1 0w40 European Formula is no more? That should be some earth-shaking news, considering how often it is recommended on this forum. Seems like we should have some kind of memorial service on BITOG.

PDS specs look about the same, but it is a little thinner. TSR calculates out to .86.

It was reformulated and re-named and no longer has the LL-01 approval but it is still with us, just as FS 0w-40 now
smile.gif

Also, it isn't really a huge change, it simply looks a lot like the old version from several revisions ago now that we had in Canada for quite some time after the US got the new version. This is reflected in the visc and MRV.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Well in actuality, FS is european formula.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
From the MSDS for the new Mobil 1 FS 0w-40:

1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 10 - < 20% H304
DISTILLATES (FISCHER - TROPSCH), HEAVY, C18-50 – BRANCHED, CYCLIC AND LINEAR 848301-69-9 40 - < 70% H304

So it is 10-20% PAO and 40-70% GTL!!!

So this either means they finally got their own bloody GTL plant on-line (which they have been working on) or they are buying GTL from SOPUS.

Decene is a C10 (10 carbon atoms per molecule). Wouldn't more C18-50 hydrocarbons provide better lubrication than a C10? It's a good thing, right?

I don't know about the lubrication side of it but generally Group III has better additive solubility than PAO but PAO has better high temp stability and better extreme low cold temp performance, though the GTL product isn't your "typical" Group III and compares much more readily to PAO in most respects but is cheaper to manufacture.

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back