Mobil 1 delvac le 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
It is not easy to get in Australia and my supply was made in France

Canada is a little strange, obviously. Here, it's just over $6 a litre, which is probably cheaper than a lot of regular U.S. prices. As I mentioned to you before, it's a few cents a litre cheaper than the 5w-40. The Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 is about the cheapest synthetic HDEO Imperial Oil offers.

Falcon: I'd say it depends on the application. Reading the G37 and 370Z manuals, they actually call for SM or SM/GF-4 (or newer), rather than calling explicitly only for a resource conserving 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Not to go off topic, but seeing it's also SN approved, how would this work in a gasoline engine as an alternative to Formula ESP 5W-30?
In Kuwait, I wouldn't bother, run standard truck diesel oil.

My reasons are different in the US, have SCR/DPF after treatment and 5-20% Biodiesel mix. Its a tough application for engine oil, on one side you need low ash so it doesn't coke the DPF when burned in the exhaust, low viscosity because you will get some fuel dilution and biodiesel thickens the viscosity and lastly need engine protection. I believe Delvac 1 LE is the closest compromise to the spec ACEA C3 with only being ACEA E6.

I'm actually looking at this for my Envoy, which I run Euro V gas (10 ppm sulfur limit) in. I currently run M1 Formula ESP 5W-30, which has a SA content of 0.6% vs. 1.0% for Delvac 1 LE, but the higher TBN is appealing.

Thanks, Garak!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm actually looking at this for my Envoy, which I run Euro V gas (10 ppm sulfur limit) in. I currently run M1 Formula ESP 5W-30, which has a SA content of 0.6% vs. 1.0% for Delvac 1 LE, but the higher TBN is appealing.

Not to rain on this but, TBN is there for the sulfur. Ultra low sulfur doesn't need as much detergent (TBN). I suspect why TBN KOH/g is 10, to get longer drain intervals, up to 50k miles in some trucks. TBN isn't lubrication. If I didn't have the after treatment DPF and post injection regen, I'd be using Delvac MX.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Not to rain on this but, TBN is there for the sulfur. Ultra low sulfur doesn't need as much detergent (TBN). I suspect why TBN KOH/g is 10, to get longer drain intervals, up to 50k miles in some trucks. TBN isn't lubrication. If I didn't have the after treatment DPF and post injection regen, I'd be using Delvac MX.

Not at all, I appreciate all the input.

The reason I started using Formula ESP 5W-30 is because I'm running ULS gas and it's a very stout oil with a decent base (appears to contain a decent amount of esters) and additive package - an extremely low NOACK (5.6% I think) is an added bonus. Being an export model, my manual actually calls for an ACEA A3 oil with a viscosity range of 0W-30 all the way up to 20W-50. Although A3 is not a low SAPS spec, the MB Sheet 229.51 and VW 507.00 approvals, although diesel, appear to provide a high level of protection in addition to being cat-friendly, which is an added benefit.

I follow the OLM and use a synthetic media oil filter. Once the OLM hits the 50% mark, I do a simple drain and refill and keep the filter, then change the oil/filter around the 5% mark again. The 50% mark is usually around the 5,800 miles, but the engine does see a decent amount of idle time and the TBN hovers around the 1.9 - 2.2 mark by that time.

Given Formula ESP 5W-30's TBN starts off between 5-6, I find the Delvac 1 LE's TBN of 10 and low SAPS spec to be quite attractive.

TBN is NOT "just for the sulfur". If it were, why would my TBN drop in the the BMW X5 35d from 9.6 to 4.0 in just 10K mi? EGR recirculating nitrogen oxides, which are acidic, that is why. Incidentally, using D4739, in the Unimog (no EGR) TBN drops just from 15.0 to 12.4 in 17500 mi.
In diesels at least, EGR puts a heavy acid load on the lubricant.

Charlie

Given Formula ESP 5W-30's TBN starts off between 5-6, I find the Delvac 1 LE's TBN of 10 and low SAPS spec to be quite attractive.

With the Delvac 1 LE, I suspect you should be able to get to the full OCI. I don't think some people realize the difficulty you've had in the past obtaining a decent oil for a decent price in your locale.

Originally Posted By: Garak
With the Delvac 1 LE, I suspect you should be able to get to the full OCI. I don't think some people realize the difficulty you've had in the past obtaining a decent oil for a decent price in your locale.

Quite true. If bought locally, it is still an expensive oil at $14.79/L (7.5L required). Having said that, it'll be interesting to see what the TBN figure is at the OLM's 50% mark (usually hovering around 8,000 km)!

Yep, that is a little high of a price, of course, but that's what you have to suffer through. Here, ironically, it's a cheap oil, at barely over the price of conventional, at least if comparing it to regular retail prices at Walmart or Canadian Tire. It's about 15 to 25 cents per litre cheaper than the Delvac 1 I'm using, believe it or not.

I suspect you'll be able to go a lot further than 8,000 km, so well beyond halfway should be a piece of cake!

So much for that venture. The Mobil 1 distributor sucks, big time. Although a lot of products are listed as available on their website, in reality the only products they stock are 0W-40, 5W-50, 10W-50 and Delvac 1 MX 5W-40. Not even Formula ESP 5W-30 is available anymore, because apparently the local authorities do not allow for an "API CF" product to be imported. If you look very closely at the packaging and the TDS, API CF is listed under "according to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is of the following quality level" - It may not be API SM/SN approved, but it is listed as meeting/exceeding the spec.

The so called Purchasing Manager was too busy trying to sell me 0W-40, which I already have a huge stash of from the U.S., or trying to upsell Delvac 1 MX 5W-40 because Formula ESP 5W-30 is a "diesel-only" lubriant.

Ended up using my stash of 0W-40 for this interval until I can get some Formula ESP 5W-30 through the APO. Haven't been able to find Delvac 1 LE from a distributor willing to ship APO.

Good grief, Falcon_LS. Obviously, the authorities don't understand the system whatsoever. API CF is obsolete. And, anything meeting CJ-4 obviously meets CF, too, so is that some sort of problem? That seems to be the problem with listing old specifications. It's confuses the bloody heck out of those who don't understand the specifications in the first place. And those that do understand don't need such things listed.

I'm in the opposite boat here. Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 isn't listed on my sell sheets, but my distributor does have it in stock and at a good price.

The problem in this part of the world is that there's so many lubricants that are sub par, meeting obsolete specifications, the authorities are trying to tackle it by taking everything off the shelf that even mentions those specs. You cannot compare a product like ESP Formula 5W-30 with some regionally producted garbage that says API SE/CF on the label. But, that's the way they're going about it unfortunately.

What a farce. They need to hire TomNJ as a consultant! I'm surprised Mobil is tolerating this. In any event, Imperial Oil here got rid of old HDEOs very quickly as part of the CJ-4 rollout, but not in such a heavy handed fashion.
wink.gif

I'm personally curious how this Mobil delvac 1 LE 5w30 compares to Chevrons Delo 400 LE 5w30 (w/ISOSYN technology) in my 6.0. I have a few thousand miles to go on my current fill of the Delo 5w30. My previous posted run of the Delo 5w30 ( wArchoil 9100) 20was quite stellar to say the least.

Next oil change I will try the delvac 1 LE 5w30 and run it 7500 miles and send for a UOA, just for my curiosity. I'll post it up. Personally, I thinks it's tough to beat Delo's performance and price point (on Amazon $109/4 gallons) compared to $152/4 gallons of Mobil 1 delvac LE 5w30 on thelubricantstore.com

Last edited:
I imagine they'll be fairly close, though the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 has the edge by a couple specifications, not that it really matters in the least. The most important ones are all the same between the two products.

Yep, that price is pretty high. I can do better than that for more product, even, which is pretty shocking.

I know that the Delvac Elite 10w30 syn blend CJ-4 is really starting to make an imprint. Several commercial truck dealers and service locations are now stocking it as an option. Price is pretty darn good. The Mack dealer near me is only tacking on $10 extra for it compared to 15w40 conventional on a 10 gallon heavy diesel engine oil change. I have seen some of the testing results in some of the trucking industry rags, and it looks to be a killer product. I am even considering it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back