Mobil 1 and grp III continued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Can including a large cut of grp III in a good formulation perform the same as a Grp IV and higher??"
Yes.
"Does it provide advantages other than cost/availability?"
Yes
"Does it impact long drain capability?"
No not substantially.

I agree with that. We know Schaeffers works with Grp II+ and PAO's as well as there 5w40(syn) that is a grp III and PAO, they honestly talk about what base oils they use and I respect that company for that. If their distribution structure was more convenient..but I digress.

I can also assume that any disadvantage(however this disadvantage is miniscule) in oxidation stability and VI can be easily corrected with a well designed additive package. That being said there is more to the cost of motor oil than based oils. There is R&D, additives costs, and internal cost of plant upgrades/revamps/maintenance. That being said I cannot completely buy into the cost savings argument, more cyncical I admit, they may make a better margin selling the PAO's to outside blenders than using it in their own lubricant lines(completely theoretical). With the technology they have on hand i am fairly certain they can easily match performance with the grp III blended in.

Thanks, There are many who disagree with Grp III capabilities. At the same time I believe a long drain capable oil could be designed with even grp II+ with the proper additive package.

pzev
"It would be a shame if that were lost over something as trivial as this."
Oh contrare. This discussion is the essence of bitog and a hall of fame one at that.
"Remember folks, 99.9% of the population on this planet do not care what is in their oil."
Again I disagree, 99.9 may not know the details of what they put in their engines, but many of dollar has been spent to convince them to put in abc or def oil because it will do this or that for your car.

"At the same time I believe a long drain capable oil could be designed with even grp II+ with the proper additive package. "
Agredd and this has been proven.

Quote:

Thanks, There are many who disagree with Grp III capabilities. At the same time I believe a long drain capable oil could be designed with even grp II+ with the proper additive package.

I believe current SM oils would be more than capable of handling 10,000 to 15,000 mile OCI in virtually all domestic cars if the sump capacity were increased from the current 4-5 quarts to 9-10 quarts.

Virtually all European cars that spec long drains have sump capacity that is 50% to 100% larger than the typical American car.

Fair enough guy's.................show us the UOA's
darthmaul.gif

Largecar. Schaeffers extended drains with group II years ago ( and still does)with our add pkgs. Unfortunately most all use our blends now. Not a fair comparison with the pao blend.

I think the discussion about the two samples tested has been exhausted. These same questions have been discussed in regard to Castrol Syntec G3 in BITOG.

IMHO What is left to know is if the switch is across the complete line of oils. I would be curious about Mobil 1 0W-40. Is that what Tom is testing next?

In the meantime, remember this, guys.

You all love motor oil. But has motor oil ever loved you back?

(Gary can ID the movie, I'm sure)

So be kind to each other.
fruit.gif

Quote:

I believe current SM oils would be more than capable of handling 10,000 to 15,000 mile OCI in virtually all domestic cars i
If the sump capacity were increased from the current 4-5 quarts to 9-10 quarts.

Virtually all European cars that spec long drains have sump capacity that is 50% to 100% larger than the typical American car.

Great point.

I beleive that most everyone now believes M1 XP uses gpIII.
I wrote Exxon on Monday regarding grp III usage and below
is there response. It is different than the other responses that I have seen. In my mind it leaves little doubt about gpIII in the formulation.

Thank you for your inquiry,

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our
customers' expectations) Mobil 1 uses high-performance synthetic fluids,
includingpolyalphaolefins (PAO), along with a proprietary system of
additives. In fact, each Mobil 1 viscosity grade uses a specific
combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to
tailor the viscosity grade to its unique requirement.

The public should realize that the most important aspect of a motor
oil is how it performs and protects the engine. Consumers should not
focus on basestocks, but the overall protection and performance that the
end product can deliver, not how you get there.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

-Matt Jacob

Quote:

Quote:

I believe current SM oils would be more than capable of handling 10,000 to 15,000 mile OCI in virtually all domestic cars i
If the sump capacity were increased from the current 4-5 quarts to 9-10 quarts.

Great point.

Agreed, and a bypass filter will increase the capacity and the trend is for larger oil sumps. New movie out? "What happened to the electric cars" hopefully the theory in the movie is not to crush extending oil service length by the big boy's! as what is happened/happening with electric car production.
tounge2.gif

Thanks folr posting that response. That response is interesting and the laguage is more revealing than before. The second paragraph is especially pertinant.
If this is indeed their new response this is as much a revelation as I have seen from them.

Doesn't a PAO based PCMO exhibit better cold weather performance (MRV and CCS) than a Group III PCMO, and for a longer drain interval? And is a PAO more resistant to turbo coking than a Group III PCMO?

Quote:

"The public should realize that the most important aspect of a motor
oil is how it performs and protects the engine. Consumers should not
focus on basestocks, but the overall protection and performance that the
end product can deliver, not how you get there."

The vast majority of consumers do not know what IS synthetic oil, not talking about what IN synthetic oil. A minority group know what synthetic oil can perform and protects the engine compares with conventional oil. Very very small percentage of consumers know the different between group III and PAO and Ester and those who knows are on this site.

For myself, I may stay with Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0W-40 for my MB E430, which is recommended by MBUSA. I may try Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30, which is also recommended if I can find it. My main concern is which oil can be used in my car(s) for 10k-15k miles OCI's that I can easily buy at local shops and does not cost too much, rather than which oil has PAO's or Group III base stocks.

Solutions in this order pour point depressants, Additives package and antioxidants. More complicated than just dumping them in of course.

Last edited:
Nice civil thread here.

I say label the product with what it actually is (like Motul)and let the consumer decide if the Mobil 1 EP is worth $6.49 - $7.19 a quart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back