Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 Add Pack Appears Weak!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SA of the AFE oils is .8. That's lower than most other full synthetics on the market. From the MSDS of Japan, they are about 30-50% PAO. The Ca/Mg combo is very similar to Castrol and I think it's an Infineum additive package.

I don't know how this generation of M1 compares to the prior in terms of extended drain capability. Years ago Mobil 1 had a Tbn of 11-12. It slowly dropped as they reduced the Ca levels and started using newer additives. It's now around 8-9 across the board. I think 15k miles is pushing it with this type of chemistry IMO.

Mobil does test test the [censored] out of their oils though. In that Motor Trend article they said they blend up to 500 blends a month.

I think because of the Valvoline claim they intentionally put up those graphs showing how the M1 does on the IVA/IIIG tests on their website.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then the proof of an oil is in the UOA.
There are a number of good UOAs of AFE posted in that forum.
I'm very well set for both 0W-20 and thirty grade synthetics for the next several years, so I really don't need any oil.
If I did need oil for the next couple of changes in the various cars, I'd probably pick up a few jugs of AFE 0W-30 and a couple of the 0W-20.
Walmart's current pricing makes this an easy choice.
Incidentally, for those who prefer not to set foot in any Walmart location, Meijer has price matched Wally on M1 jugs.

I think the proof would be in the tear-down
wink.gif

...or the longevity.
11.gif

Yeahhh...... one need just go read the BMW bearing thread to see the proof in that tear-down. :)

I just got back the UOA from the 2nd oil interval on my SRT. But a) its boring enough to start with, and b) I've now become so skeptical of the utility of affordable oil analyses that I don't know if its worth posting. Well, actually it IS just for a particularly silly Blackstone comment :)

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then the proof of an oil is in the UOA.
There are a number of good UOAs of AFE posted in that forum.
I'm very well set for both 0W-20 and thirty grade synthetics for the next several years, so I really don't need any oil.
If I did need oil for the next couple of changes in the various cars, I'd probably pick up a few jugs of AFE 0W-30 and a couple of the 0W-20.
Walmart's current pricing makes this an easy choice.
Incidentally, for those who prefer not to set foot in any Walmart location, Meijer has price matched Wally on M1 jugs.

I think the proof would be in the tear-down
wink.gif

...or the longevity.
11.gif

Yeahhh...... one need just go read the BMW bearing thread to see the proof in that tear-down. :)

I just got back the UOA from the 2nd oil interval on my SRT. But a) its boring enough to start with, and b) I've now become so skeptical of the utility of affordable oil analyses that I don't know if its worth posting. Well, actually it IS just for a particularly silly Blackstone comment :)

Yup, exactly! No contention from me on that point.

Mobil's own advertising data states that the AFE line is not "as extended drain" as their EP line. I don't point this out to put the AFE line down. In fact I'm running AFE 0W-20 in my vehicle right now.

Originally Posted By: wiswind
Mobil's own advertising data states that the AFE line is not "as extended drain" as their EP line. I don't point this out to put the AFE line down. In fact I'm running AFE 0W-20 in my vehicle right now.

Correct, and neither is regular M1 except the 0w-40 grade.

Overk1ll,
Actually the warranty for all M1 oils with the exception of EP is the same. Here is a link for 0-40, but the 5-30 etc. is all the same. It's 10K(miles), or the high limit on the OLM of the vehicle. Whether it's 5K or 15K.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

Overk1ll,
Actually the warranty for all M1 oils with the exception of EP is the same. Here is a link for 0-40, but the 5-30 etc. is all the same. It's 10K(miles), or the high limit on the OLM of the vehicle. Whether it's 5K or 15K.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

The difference with the 0w-40 is that it is spec'd for many OEM Euro drain intervals that are longer than even those spec'd for EP, that's why I made the exception for that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back