Mobil 1 50th Anniversary jug

Mobil 1 is an iconic brand. Legendary. Long live Mobil 1.

Even one of the top Amsoil guys at Amsoil said "They're a monster. You can't talk synthetics without mentioning Mobil 1."

1714308843805.jpg

I thought blow-by is top down like fuel that is not fully combusted …
What do you mean … ?
The rings didn't keep the oil in the crankcase in that engine. I had no leaks, there was no smoke or leaks. It just used it up. There should have been smoke but Mobil 1 doesn't produce much. The car was bought new and had 20k on it. It also pinged like crazy and no one could get it to stop pinging. To sell it I put that high octane Sunoco in it to stop the pinging. Was a POS engine.

I did too. Put it in a slant six Duster and it just blew past the rings.
Do you remember how radical 5-20 sounded? Most used 10-40 back then.
Like wise I started off in my 1978 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. oil consumption did increase some, but nothing like you said. +However the engine purred like a kitten. I stated using M1 because 10-40 made cold starts very difficult in the Maine winters. M1 curred that problem.

You got me beat. I started using M1 5-20 in 1978 while living in Bath, Me. Bought it at the Mobil gas station on Leman Hwy. $5 a qt.
You got me beat too. I first started using M1 in 1988. Back then it was only sold at Esso stations and I think it was $8 a liter! I only used it for a couple of short intervals in my 88 Dodge Shadow ES Turbo and then I went back to using Castrol XLR, which was only $1 a liter. I was changing my oil every 3000 km back then! 😬

Back