Mobil 1 15W50 In the powerstroke 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can i use CF rated Mobil 1 15w50 in my 07 F250 w/ 6.0 powerstroke that has no EGR system, cat, or muffler?
I have a 2007 F250 that i deleted the EGR system on and am running a 5" straight exhaust on. Since i don't have any of the smog equipment cant i run a CF rated oil in my rig? I know this oil is higher in ZDDP and other additives which would be beneficial and more along the lines of the oil quality that was around when my truck was built. In my oil now i add ZDDP for quicker spool and less wear on the engine. I live in the desert and thicker oil isn't that much of an issue. especially since its been 100+ degrees out every day. i hear people say that it is horrible for my motor but i'm not seeing why, especially since the 6.0 will shear the 40 weight oil down to 30 weight.

There is no way the ZDDP your adding has any tangible effect on spool time. I say your fine with 15w50 in the desert. Forget about adding ZDDP

I'd suggest you follow the manufacturers recommendations and purchase a quality synthetic in that weight.
Forget the "heavier is better" thing.

Plenty of boundary protection other than ZDDP in any synthetic 5w40.

Anyways, oil weight isn't what will kill you. It will be your coolant system.
And contrary to popular belief, it will be a thinner oil that will help you spool faster.

Why the antiquated CF rating? What will you gain from it? CF oil is of a poorer quality than CJ-4, so you're looking for poorer quality?

There are plenty of synthetic, synthetic blend, and conventional HDEOs that will do the trick nicely and at a much better cost. I'm also not sure how a thicker oil (more ZDDP or not) is going to speed up turbo spooling.

As I remember CF was allowed per manual, only if nothing else were available and at half the interval. 50 wt. is going to be EXTREMELY hard an your injectors, so the deleted emission system has no bearing on your decision.

As noted above CF rated oil is much inferior to current oil available, CI-4/CI-4+/CJ-4 is by far superior than CF.

Ditch the CF and the additive.

Agree with the above from roadrunner1; he is quite successful at running his 6.0L on good conventional oil.

I'd shy away from the 15w-50 Mobil 1 unless it were free, and you were in a place that ONLY had it as an oasis where no other choice were present for 500 miles ...

The 6.0L can be a reliable engine when a few things are addressed; other topics for another day. In your area in El Paso, it will run great on either 10w-30 or 15w-40 conventional lube with a proper HDEO C* rating; it would be my recommendation to simply get a CJ-4; they are the most prominent and do an excellent job at controlling soot and wear. Either grade will do a great job, but the 15w-40 may be a bit easier to locate; shop any brand name or house brand you trust, and let your wallet be your guild. These engines do equally well on most brands you'd recognize, so don't let brand-bitotry sway you one way or another. The HEUI system is going to respond better to the thinner lubes rather than that thick 50 grade.

You'd only "need" a synthetic if you intend to greatly increase your oil change intervals (OCIs). If not, don't bother.

Oh - BTW -
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
The PSD's with the HEUI injection system are famous for shearing oils out of grade, so stick with the narrow spread grades of 10w30 or 15w40. Definitely nothing with less than a CI-4+ or CJ-4 rating.

any 15w40 and drive it. as said the cooling system and head bolts will kill it long before you have an oil related problem.remember that 99% of the semi's you see are running 15w40 pulling 80'k across tx,nm,az and into ca and back.

I run an oil pressure gauge. I was just curious as to "why not" I run m1 5w40 td now. Of all the research I've done the only thing it said was not to run it because of the egr equipment and inline exhaust components of which I have neither.

Since you have an OP gauge you haven't said that you can't maintaining the minimum required oil pressure with the excellent M1 5W-40.
Only if you can't would running something heavier be considered.

That's what I figured but was curious to people's thoughts. I know it is on a lot of minds but not much written on it

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Since you have an OP gauge you haven't said that you can't maintaining the minimum required oil pressure with the excellent M1 5W-40.

Whoever hacked CATERHAM's account mastered the mention of maintaining minimum oil pressure, but gave himself away in the last part of the sentence. What CATERHAM would have said was that the 5w-40 is a better choice, despite its mediocre VI.

If you will go to a c oil take a better one,its main feature?make sure its sn and/or cj-4 at a minimum.there is not much you can do to make it more durable oil wise ,its likely a V ENGINE .so the ods of the dodge cummins outlasting your engine (in the same performance class)is assured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back