Mobil 1 15w50 for chinese generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to see what the consensus is on using Mobil 1 15w50 in this unit. I just filled the generator with M1 15w50 per cujet's experience. It looks as if we might need the little 6.5 hp generator for nonstop use for days in 90 degree weather. Think it's a safe pick?

Last edited:
What is recommended in the operator's manual, is 15w50 really necessary ?

I am using 10w30 Mobil 1 in my 6.5 hp Craftsman generator and it ran great for the 12 straight days after we got hit by hurricane Wilma.

My Chinese built generator engine calls for 5W-50 so I went with the only oil I could think of in that grade, Castrol Syntec.

I'm sure it would run fine on a 15w50. There are so many factors that effect longevity of OPE it's hard to tell if a 50wt would be a benefit or not. IMO, for Alabama heat and long runs, I'd go with an off the shelf and easier to source 15w40 and change it with some regularity.

Joel

My rule of thumb is if the engine has no Oil filter then it gets changed around 50 hours of run time. I use Mobil One 10w30 as it gets a bit chilly here.

Originally Posted By: mtgrs737
My rule of thumb is if the engine has no Oil filter then it gets changed around 50 hours of run time. I use Mobil One 10w30 as it gets a bit chilly here.

Used the delo400 30wt as no cold starts here. OCI was about 25 hrs. You may double the OCI with synthetic oil check air filter and use good fuel. Junk fuel can cause increase fuel dilution degrading the oil. I would say 80% of the problem is fuel related.

The Amsoil ASE 30wt is especially ideal for cold and ideal temp conditions. Personally I do like the straight 30wt over the 10w-30 especially for these small engines. Amsoil fuel stabilizer and Amsoil PI keeps things very clean. Once the carb gets gummed up things just can go south and have start up problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back