Mobil 1 10w30HM vs. Maxlife full synthetic 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone run them both? maybe back to back? If so how did they compare? I think I am going to try the Mobil hm just because the specs got me thinking it must be mostly gp IV stuff just to get that super low pour point. I can't seem to find the maxlife synthetic specs on thier website.

Can't really go wrong with either one as they are both great oils. The M1 probably does have more PAO though just from looking at the pour point.

The Maxlife Syn PDS is here

Quote:

Can't really go wrong with either one as they are both great oils. The M1 probably does have more PAO though just from looking at the pour point.

The Maxlife Syn PDS is here

Is that full or blend?

The Maxlife Synthetic data sheet lists a lot of other ratings such as BMW and Volkswagen that I don't see on the Mobil 1 HM data sheet.

Nice thing with the Mobil is they offer a 10w40.

The assumption is that M1 HM has more ZDDP though. Somewhere on here is a response from Mobil saying it has 1000ppm. But I suppose that only matters if you need the higher ZDDP levels.

Mobil is going to have a higher TBN as well, so if your going to extend your OCI, M1 might be the better choice.

Maxlife meets a TON of specs though, so nothing to sneeze at. The Maxlife Syn used to have a TBN of 10 but Valvoline have since lowered it to 7. Probably wouldn't go more than 7.5k OCI on the Maxlife Syn.

BTW, I'm running Maxlife Syn in my VW VR6 and I really like it. My car sits for a few days at a time, and used to get startup noise with M1 0w-40. Maxlife Syn seems to stick to the internal engine parts better and cold starts are silky smooth.

True, Mobil 1 HM is SL, whereas the Maxlife Syn is SM, but Maxlife has that 300 ppm moly which may make up for it.

Which is why I'm hoarding 10 quarts (and looking for more) of the API-SL version of Maxlife full syn!

OK, I went with mobil1 HM 10w30 and at idle i get tick,tick,tick. I think it is good oil just not meant for my 4.8 silverado. I also think it must be PAO based because the older mobil1 also gave me the tick at idle. The newer Mobil 1 xw30 does not give me the ticking sound. Must be a PAO thing??

Quote:

Mobil is going to have a higher TBN as well, so if your going to extend your OCI, M1 might be the better choice.

Maxlife meets a TON of specs though, so nothing to sneeze at. The Maxlife Syn used to have a TBN of 10 but Valvoline have since lowered it to 7. Probably wouldn't go more than 7.5k OCI on the Maxlife Syn.

BTW, I'm running Maxlife Syn in my VW VR6 and I really like it. My car sits for a few days at a time, and used to get startup noise with M1 0w-40. Maxlife Syn seems to stick to the internal engine parts better and cold starts are silky smooth.

Though MaxLife's TBN is lower than what it was I suspect the base oil is of a higher quality since the newer MaxLife meets a ton of long-life specs that the older version did not. TBN of 7 is plenty for 10K intervals if the oil has the ability to hold it's TBN well. I think the newest version of MaxLife full synthetic is one of the best sleeper oils around. I got a couple of the new 5qt jugs from China Mart and plan to run several(3-5)oil changes in one of my cars that has had 7000 series in exclusively just to see how well it performs out to 10K. It is not the cheapest at 20 bucks a jug but i'm betting 10K intervals will be a breeze. We shall see.

Maxlife Synthetic at $3.99 a quart at AutoZone (and the 5 qt jug price above) is a great deal when most synthetics are running above $5 a quart.

ACEA A3 on each means they're both outstanding. The Maxlife Synth's car manufacture spec's are amazing. I don't see VW 503.01 but it's not often that I do.

Is there such a thing as 'mean' oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back