Mobil 1 0W-40 Question/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new to me Mercedes SLK230 supercharged is spec by Mercedes for Mobil 1 0-40w. So that's what I installed right away. Will do an Oil Analysis at next change. Probably be a while though since I only drive car when it's not raining and it's been raining daily for months
pat2.gif

Quote:

I probably worry about this kind of stuff more than I should.

I'm also thinking about putting it in a 1994 Camaro Z28 I'm trying to get back up and running. I'm pretty sure that engine also calls for a 5W-30. But, I may look around and see if I can find some German Castrol now that it seems to be popping up again. I know the last time I tried to find some at Autozone here in Lansing there was none on the shelves.

Based on my 13,000 miles with M1 0w40, it didn't like my LT1 engine. Although I have yet to run a UOA of my GC, I will gladly post results when I get them. The M1 0w40 in one sample had signs of heat stress. Oil temps IIRC that sample period peaked at 250 degrees at the most.

stick with Amsoil 5W-30, that gives the best fuel economy

with M1 0W-40 u will experience worse fuel economy esp ur car is going high mileage and with a thicker oil

the 0W-40 is hard to find a most stores because they supply most of the stock to the Porsche Dealerships, and that's the OEM oil for most newer Porsche since the 996, the air cooled 993 uses M1 15W-50 but since the 996 they use the 0W-40, including the Cararra GT

for 0W-40 i will fall for teh Motul 8100, it's superior to Mobil 1 and not only it's 100% syn, it's also a Group V oil and provides more horsepower with ester based.

my roommate's switched to Motul 8100 shortly after he bought the 911

Quote:

Quote:

I probably worry about this kind of stuff more than I should.

I'm also thinking about putting it in a 1994 Camaro Z28 I'm trying to get back up and running. I'm pretty sure that engine also calls for a 5W-30. But, I may look around and see if I can find some German Castrol now that it seems to be popping up again. I know the last time I tried to find some at Autozone here in Lansing there was none on the shelves.

Based on my 13,000 miles with M1 0w40, it didn't like my LT1 engine. Although I have yet to run a UOA of my GC, I will gladly post results when I get them. The M1 0w40 in one sample had signs of heat stress. Oil temps IIRC that sample period peaked at 250 degrees at the most.

Interesting that your LT1 didnt like it. My 04 LS1 likes it. used it from 5000-30,000 miles with no oil consumption and all good UOAs. switched to GC just to see how that works. no UOAs on that yet though.

Quote:

stick with Amsoil 5W-30, that gives the best fuel economy

with M1 0W-40 u will experience worse fuel economy esp ur car is going high mileage and with a thicker oil

the 0W-40 is hard to find a most stores because they supply most of the stock to the Porsche Dealerships, and that's the OEM oil for most newer Porsche since the 996, the air cooled 993 uses M1 15W-50 but since the 996 they use the 0W-40, including the Cararra GT

for 0W-40 i will fall for teh Motul 8100, it's superior to Mobil 1 and not only it's 100% syn, it's also a Group V oil and provides more horsepower with ester based.

my roommate's switched to Motul 8100 shortly after he bought the 911

Looks like someone can read the press packet, where is proof that Group V will help him gain HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back