MMO and ATF treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
TCW oil works as an UCL also, but it does not have cleaning properties of MMO. IIRC TCW is added 2 oz to 10 gal. I do not use it myself so I am not sure about the dosage, you might want to search BITOG for the exact ratio.

The suggested rate is 4 oz/10 gallons of gas. HTH

Recommended amounts for:

MMO is 4 oz per 10 gal.

TCW is 1 oz per 5 gal. (or 2 oz per 10 gal.)

Read VOA's on ATF. Low zinc and all that jazz. No, MMO is not ATF but it quiets up a fuel pump like MMO. My in laws Taurus with 300,000 miles on the original cats & fuel pump in it get an occasioanl shot of ATF in the gas. This car has the original cats too. I have used ATF in the gas tank of my 2006 Regal 2400 open bow boat with 8.1 liter engine since new. Combustion chambers are clean as a whistle. ATF in the fuel in the proper doses also combats ethanol issues associated with marine engines. My $0.02.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It is your Constitutional right to put anything you want to in your crank or gas tank.

But ATF is just silly.
If you want to clean the pump, lines, injectors, combustion chambers and valves, use a dedicated cleaner that you put in the tank. Like Chevron Techron, Redline SI-1, or Gumout REGANE.

My recollection is that ATF got its reputation as a combustion chamber cleaner on cars with vacuum modulated transmissions. People who removed the head from a vehicle with a bad modulator noticed that the closest cylinder to the modulator vacuum plumbing had an abonormally clean chamber.

This may or may not be true.

That was true. It may not have gotten the reputation due to it, but those discoveries bolstered the notion. Now you have to keep in mind that these were carb'd 50's and 60's engines in the later 60's earlier 70's. Your average piston top looked like a flat piece of coal. When's the last time a head has been pulled for anything other than a head gasket in recent history? I recall having some shot exhaust valves on a 80-something Plymouth Champ with 1.6 Mitsubishi @ 100k+ miles around 25 years ago..but that's about it.

Edit: Molakule and Terry advised that contemporary ATF would not be suitable in a combustion environment. I have to assume that there is some ash production that they feel is unwanted. I surely would want to take their advice. I would merely point out that whatever leftovers that there are supposed to be resulting from using it as I did, did not appear to be present when the heads were pulled. I do not, however, know what the oil looked like after this treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back