1998 Jimmy, fuel mileage sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your only driving 3 mile round trips. This seems to be about normal. I used to drive an Isuzu Stylus Stylus that would get me 28 -40 mpg. When I moved and only drove 2 miles to work my mileage dropped to 20 mpg. This is mostly a consequence of driving short distances on a cold engine. The fuel condenses along the sides of a cold cylinder wall and gas mileage plummets. I wouldn't worry about it.

When you did the tune-up, what parts did you use? I have had best results with AC Delco wires, the AC Delco Platinum plugs, and if you went aftermarket with the cap, double check the fit. Get synthetics in the tranny and the differentials. My 96 Blazer does 15-17 mpg city, and 23 highway. I am in Pennsylvania, not quite as cold as SD, but it is 15 degrees right now.

Is there a mechanical fan on this? Can you trust yourself (and any other drivers, eg wife) to watch the gauge? May try taking the fan off for a couple tanks, you don't need it, and cold clutches tend to lock up for that "whiiiir" when first started.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Another thing that can help is plugging your engines block heater in when your engine isn't in use so that it's warmer and uses less fuel when you start-up and go.

I second using the block heater if you have one. Also maybe don't go home for lunch, bring something to work and go for a walk for the rest of your lunch.
In warmer weather 3 miles sounds like an easy bike ride too.
Ian

If the 94 Sonoma was getting 15 MPG without a block heater, then using it should be no different for the Blazer. Aside from the 96 Blazer, I just bought an "05 Trailblazer, and the mileage is not the greatest on it. I am in the rinse phase of an Auto Rx, I will be putting Seafoam through the vacuum hose, and am replacing the plugs. I will switch all fluids to synthetics(which I feel will help, but is not the cause). Then I will change 02 sensors, and clean the throttle body. I will also have the PCM re-tuned. After all this, looking at what is left, the injectors will be the last thing a look at. I love this stuff!!

Speaking of Seafoam, isn't is supposed to be blue? I poured a bottle in my tank before my road trip and it was clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back