MMO and ATF treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the 1qt MMO to 2qt ATF treatment work o.k. on a fuel injected vehicle?
My vehicle runs rough. About a week ago, there was a trail of soot behind where I had parked. I just purchased the vehicle. It was a one-owner 1998 GMC Jimmy (4.3 V6) with 114k miles. I am currently doing an Auto-Rx treatment. The vehicle has never been tuned (it will get new plugs, wires, rotor and cap this weekend).
I wanted to do the MMO/ATF to make sure the top end is thoroughly cleaned.

I would not do that. I would stick to the Auto-rx or use a quality synthetic oil with a short oil change.

Also, do a full tune up.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I would not do that. I would stick to the Auto-rx or use a quality synthetic oil with a short oil change.

Also, do a full tune up.

dito

It is your Constitutional right to put anything you want to in your crank or gas tank.

But ATF is just silly.
If you want to clean the pump, lines, injectors, combustion chambers and valves, use a dedicated cleaner that you put in the tank. Like Chevron Techron, Redline SI-1, or Gumout REGANE.

The MMO is good in the gas at 2-4ounces/10 gallons gas for a top end lube,with minimal cleaning ability.

Get the injectors cleaned with those pressurized canisters that tap into the fuel rail. You pull the fuel pump fuse and let the car run on the cannister(s) for direct delivery of the cleaner.

you want combustion chamber clean, consider this:

-with a properly functioning thermostat
-proper ignition timing
-proper ignition components serviced (if you still using spark plug cables, dist caps and rotors, etc.)
-fresh spark plugs
-PCV system functioning and valve replaced.
put in a bottle of PEA based fuel injector cleaner, such as Gumout regaine

Take your vehicle on the highway for a long, nice, hot(engine-wise) sustained drive for over 4hrs, maintaining speed of 100kms/hr or better.

By the time when you come home after the drive, your combustion chambers will be clean as a whistle.

BTW: I'm really sick and tired of all these noobs throwing in ATF, etc. into gas tank citing all kinds of unsubstantiated claims they saw elsewhere. While I don't stop people from doing something like this, just remember 1 thing: if it's OBD-II model in your vehicle then it's very easy to do something like that which lead to throwing a CEL code that cannot be reset, or muck up your wide-band O2 sensor(s) that will cost you mullahs to fix.

Either way, it's your money (and not mine) so it's your call.

19.gif

Q.

The ATF fuild nonsense started years ago when some yahoo though MMO was mostly ATF. It's not.
They are both dyed red and are about the same viscosity.
The similarity stops there.
ATF isn't designed to burn, MMO is.

I'd add SeaFoam to the list of good fuel system cleaners.
Additives called 'fuel system cleaner' are usually stronger that the common, and cheaper, injector cleaner.

Last edited:
Gary Allan did it, without apparent harm done, to a Caravan 3.0 V-6. A lot of other followed him, and also reported sucess with this treatment. There is a HUGE thread on here, with pics, from when Gary did it. Not sure if the search function will find it...I'll try!

After my NYS inspection is done I'm going to try a full qt of MMO in the 93 Aerostar and see what if anything happens. I'm hedging on the ATF, but might consider a 50/50 mix totaling 1 qt.

I had my son add a qt of MMO to his gas before his 7 month deployment and he commented that his car seemed smoother. Hard to qualify, but for my son to comment it must have made a difference.

I OD my snow blower with MMO and at the end of the season when I fog it, I pull the plug and the piston top looks to be pretty clean, and the plug is always clean. The machine is about 9 years old now and has seen its fair share of use, still the same plug since day one.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Quest
you want combustion chamber clean, consider this:

-with a properly functioning thermostat
-proper ignition timing
-proper ignition components serviced (if you still using spark plug cables, dist caps and rotors, etc.)
-fresh spark plugs
-PCV system functioning and valve replaced.
put in a bottle of PEA based fuel injector cleaner, such as Gumout regaine

Take your vehicle on the highway for a long, nice, hot(engine-wise) sustained drive for over 4hrs, maintaining speed of 100kms/hr or better.

Q.

All good advice, but I thought I read that Regane or Techron worked better with several cold starts/full warm-up cycles, (like using during the weekly commute) because the chemical better penetrated the deposits during the richer cold start before everything got up to operating temperature .

A trail of soot behind vehicle? Black sooty exhaust is usually a over rich mixture. I suspect the o2 sensor a likely culprit. If running rich also check air filter. If you are really talking cleaning carbon out of the engine top end best to pull heads and scrape, scrape, scrape.

To clean the "top end" I would recommend seafoam/solvent/water through the intake vacum, rather then sovent in the gas. If you suspect injector trouble, the solvent in the fuel may be your ticket. No OBD codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back