MMO (again)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Just wondering since I don't own a DI engine and know little to nothing about it. If controlling deposits can't be done then why does GM recommend top tier gas to minimize deposits? Surely in a DI engine a UCL would have some value wouldn't it?

Seems Mr. Kelly is truthful in saying that a new engine shouldn't have sludge yet, or need a flush.

Gas can help prevent valve deposits when the valves actually see fuel. DI engine valves don't see fuel spray.

Thanks, then why does GM suggest top tier gas to minimize deposits? I could see meeting a certain octane requirement but that would be about it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Ronn

You read wrong
31.gif

Here is the thread and Kelly's post:

MMO thread....Kelly

The additional of ethanol to gasoline reduces the lubricity that is normally present in the fuel. It makes it a dryer fuel and therefore may affect the seals. Using Marvel Mystery Oil replaces the damaging effects of the ethanol by replacing the lost lubricity. It also has a mild seal swelling additive to help keep the seals soft and pliable.

Using Marvel Mystery Oil should not negatively affect your DI system. After all, many diesel owners use Marvel Mystery Oil in their DI engines.

If there is another post there that says MMO helps prevent deposits in a DI Engine, I'm not aware of it. If you can find it there..post it here.

No, I did not.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/441/

When asked if MMO would help prevent deposits....

"Yes, add MMO to every tank of gas and it will help minimize deposits. Also, GM has designed their DI cars to run on “Top Tier” gasoline. Check your owner’s manual for more details. The manual should help clarify fuel requirements. All gasoline does contain minimum levels of deposit control additives as required by the EPA. However, gasoline deposit control additives can vary from the fuel blender. As for adding MMO before an oil change, be careful not to overfill the crankcase. Yes, MMO will cut through sludge, however, a new car should not need an engine flush yet. Hope this helps! "

Ironic..that was MY THREAD!
I didn't get the impression that he was really *saying* it would remove deposits like cleaners do with Port injected engines...he seemed to emphasize the TOP TIER gas..as GM does.
I took his answer to mean it would *help minimize*..meaning keeping other engine components clean which could INDIRECTLY help with crank case ventilation contamination.... the source of intake valve deposits on DI cars.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
It's to prevent combustion chamber deposits. The fuel still hits that, just not the valves.

I I had a feeling it served a purpose even in DI engines, and still has UCL properties. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back