mid grade filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are p1, bosch premium, and wix considered the mid grade filters? Did i miss any, im trying to decide on which to use on my street strip 94 z28 with a standard oci.

Depends on your definition of standard OCI.
To some that could be 15K!

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of those up to a 10K OCI.

personally i like oil filters that have good flow i like the classics or even the ones we have here in the shop group 7 also made by purolater i think the p1 is a little restrictive and my oil guage agrees

I'd go with the WIX, if it was my Street/Strip Z28.

49.gif

reason i chose mid grade is because im doing 3k oci for severe duty use. It will be used with formula shell synthetic 5w30. I ruled out rp m1 bdp k&n amsoil fram xg due to price and there meant for long oci i figured mid grade would be best for me. I guess i should be asking which flows the best.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
personally i like oil filters that have good flow i like the classics or even the ones we have here in the shop group 7 also made by purolater i think the p1 is a little restrictive and my oil guage agrees

What kind of vehicle you got? Can you elaborate on the oil gauge readings? You talking about reduced max seen oil pressure at high RPM? At idle and low RPM (any time the pump is not in relief), the oil pressure should be the same with any of those filters. That's how my car behaves ... never see any oil pressure difference while using WIX/NAPA Gold, Amsoil, ACDelco, Purolator.

Originally Posted By: irocurpony
Are p1, bosch premium, and wix considered the mid grade filters? Did i miss any, im trying to decide on which to use on my street strip 94 z28 with a standard oci.

I would call those mid-grade filters, based on price. Around here, they're about 5 to 7 bucks or so.

Originally Posted By: irocurpony
I guess i should be asking which flows the best.

There's probably only a few psi difference (3~5 psi) in flow restriction amongst most good filters on the market.

I think any of the OP's mentioned choices are fine options for the high-end of 'mid-grade' options. I'd personally try the P1/BP or NG/Wix. If the P1 is 'restrictive', it's more of a wives tale IMO. Any filter that filters insanely good will have 'restriction' compared to a less efficient filter, in general. Not always the case. Enough to matter? Depends on the application, but I say for street and sane driving no. IMO, the P1 thing could easily apply to any heavy/thick media oil filter. It's more of a concern with racing, but if you're still OCD get the NapaGold/Wix.

I'm trying a P1 on my VX next after using the NG/Wix for a while. I use either interchangeably, FWIW.

ALL will flow just fine the in block by pass will insure that so oil starvation worries should be nil , pick any you mentioned in your opening post and go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back