Microgard versus STP-- Cut Open (Ford 4.6/5.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I will say that I would not use these filters even for a short run, I feel the quality is really poor in both of them.

We also have to keep in mind both of these filters are $3.59 at AZ and OR in my neck of the woods (when not on sale or in a special) and MCs are only $3.99 at both. IMHO $0.40 is hardly worth me worrying about to quality of the filter and the FL-820s is proven--tried and true.

I was given one free with a PP purchase once and have not ever used it. With this & other information on Microgards, it'll never go on my engine. No way.

Plus I got NAPA Golds on sale for $3.45 each yesterday!

In the trash it went! Trash can pic here:
smile.gif

29cp282.jpg

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

I was given one free with a PP purchase once and have not ever used it. With this & other information on Microgards, it'll never go on my engine. No way.

smile.gif

29cp282.jpg

Wow, what a complete waste.
frown.gif

At least donate it to Goodwill or something.

I think people here are going overboard on the Fram and E-core hating. In the past I've avoided Fram, but I don't see the point anymore. There are thousands (perhaps millions) of cars on the road right now with e-core and Fram filters doing just fine.

I know there have been a couple examples of media failures, but I'm sure you can find problems with every filter design if you look at enough examples.

I know I'll be using the E-core and Microguard filters that came with my oil change specials.

I have used the microgard for a 4 month/3,500 mile interval, I did not notice any noises or have any issues to speak of. I have about 15 microgard filters from the O'rielly's oil special and I'll use all of them without worry. Is it a great filter? Probably not, but I've seen many other posts of "better filters" failing for one reason or another so I'll just continue to "roll the dice" with the microgard until they are gone and then hit walmart for some of those cheap purolators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Buick92
I have used the microgard for a 4 month/3,500 mile interval, I did not notice any noises or have any issues to speak of. I have about 15 microgard filters from the O'rielly's oil special and I'll use all of them without worry. Is it a great filter? Probably not, but I've seen many other posts of "better filters" failing for one reason or another so I'll just continue to "roll the dice" with the microgard until they are gone and then hit walmart for some of those cheap purolators.

I, also, have a few of these filters from the O'Rielly oil special. I am going to use them in my old 1999 Subaru and change the oil @ about 4000 mile intervals. When the filters are gone, back to purolators!

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: tpitcher

smile.gif

29cp282.jpg

Wow, what a complete waste.
frown.gif

At least donate it to Goodwill or something.

I think people here are going overboard on the Fram and E-core hating. In the past I've avoided Fram, but I don't see the point anymore. There are thousands (perhaps millions) of cars on the road right now with e-core and Fram filters doing just fine.

I know there have been a couple examples of media failures, but I'm sure you can find problems with every filter design if you look at enough examples.

I know I'll be using the E-core and Microguard filters that came with my oil change specials.

I agree with you 100% but as long as I have >$3 motorcraft filters I will continue to use motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: lemonade
I have 2 STP filter from Autozone deal, in comparison to my Honda OEM and Pure one filter, the STP is significantly shorter... I'm thinking shorter = less medium assuming density is about the same. Wonder if it's okay to use them in my odyssey, it's kind of a waste to throw it away, by the way i always stick to OLM, any thought guys?

The e-core design is supposed to be more efficient, due to the parts they revamped or eliminated. Even though they are smaller, supposedly they will hold about the same amount of oil and have a comparable amount of media. I have no idea if that's actually true or not.

I certainly don't regard them as an extended use filter, no way I'd run an e-core for the many thousands of miles your OLM will allow you to rack up. JMO.
Actually the ecores I've seen (S5 STP for SB Chevy) look like they have MORE media than a standard filter-it's the big holes in the plastic center cage that worry me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back