Michelin or Uniroyal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I've been unimpressed with BGF Long Terrains over the long haul, they just do not hold up like the LTX M/S at all.

I assume you mean "Long Trail."

But you have to be careful... there's a very crummy tire called the "Radial Long Trail T/A" that BFG made as an OEM (for Ford maybe?). You can tell it because its an asymmetric tread in most sizes and is recommended to be only mounted RWL out (or blackwall out in some models).

There is also the "Long Trail T/A" touring tire, which is the one I'm talking about, and its far far better- comparable to or better than the LTX M/S. Go to TireRack or Discount Tire and look at the reviews for the two, being careful to note the difference in name. The "Radial Long Trail T/A" gets mediocre to poor reviews, the "Long Trail T/A" tour gets excellent ones.

BFG didn't do themselves any favors by making two radically different tires with such similar names.

Most important is to buy from a place with a good selection of brands and a 30 day free exchange policy. I use Discount Tire.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I've been unimpressed with BGF Long Terrains over the long haul, they just do not hold up like the LTX M/S at all.

But you have to be careful... there's a very crummy tire called the "Radial Long Trail T/A" that BFG made as an OEM (for Ford maybe?). You can tell it because its an asymmetric tread in most sizes and is recommended to be only mounted RWL out (or blackwall out in some models).

There is also the "Long Trail T/A" touring tire, which is the one I'm talking about, and its far far better- comparable to or better than the LTX M/S. Go to TireRack or Discount Tire and look at the reviews for the two, being careful to note the difference in name. The "Radial Long Trail T/A" gets mediocre to poor reviews, the "Long Trail T/A" tour gets excellent ones.

BFG didn't do themselves any favors by making two radically different tires with such similar names.

Yes, I meant Long Trail T/A.

I had two sets on a 1995 T100 since 2001 and both sets were replaced within 70,000 miles (combined), both replaced due to broken belts or sidewall splits. A true aftermarket BFG, not a factory Ford tire.

My Dad put a set of BFG All Terrain T/A KOs on his '02 F250 SD PSD 4x4, they lasted less than 40,000 miles and had to be replaced due to cupping (not caused by the truck). He replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Pro-Grade w/ Silent Armor that have almost 40K themselves and are doing great.

I have a set of Michelin X Radial LT (similar to LTX M/S) on my F150 that were bought in 2003 and have right at 130,000 miles on them and still ride and drive like brand new.

BGF and Michelin may be the same company, but their products are very different. Even the rubber compound and internal construction is visibly very, very different. BFG falls well short of Michelin quality, especially in truck tires.

At that price, and between those 2 tires exclusively, I'd pick the Uniroyals. I've had the Cross Terrains, and were not that impressed. I would never pay that much for them. They were smooth and quiet, but I thought they were squirmy (too soft, and poor handling). Mine were OEM, so that could have made a difference. I'd pick the LTX M/S2 way before them. I'd also shop other brands as many have already suggested.

The only Uniroyal tire I have run was one of the TigerPaw line on my old TBird. They always wore even and smooth, and were done in about 35-45k miles. At the price that didn't matter much to me, a set of Michelins cost more than the car was worth.

That being said, I have Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my current car.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Yes, I meant Long Trail T/A.

I had two sets on a 1995 T100 since 2001 and both sets were replaced within 70,000 miles (combined), both replaced due to broken belts or sidewall splits. A true aftermarket BFG, not a factory Ford tire.

Nope, if you got these as far back as 2001, that's the old Radial Long Trail T/A, not the Long Trail T/A tour. It was an OEM *design* but then they sold it as an aftermarket tire in many other sizes. I gather that it's being (or already is) phased out in favor of the Long Trail T/A tour, which has only been available for about 3 years now. There's no comparison between the two

BGF and Michelin may be the same company, but their products are very different.

That IS true, and my experience is that the better BFG products are AT LEAST equal in quality, and always a much better value. To Michelin's credit, they didn't destroy BFG when they bought them out years ago, they pretty much let them operate as a separate company.

As for the BFG ALL Terrains, you really shouldn't judge BFG by those. They're OK at what they're supposed to do, which is have a single tire that does a half-arsed job of operating in two completely incompatible environments. Everything about it is a compromise, so they have huge shortcomings both on- and off-road. Frankly I'm impressed that they do either as well as they do...

I had the Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country on a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr. 4x4. They wore great!! BUT...on wet roads, even with real good tread left, I thought they were a little too slippery!!! If Michelin or Uniroyal are your only options, take the Uniroyal at the price you mentioned. That said, check around. Try Discount Tire Direct, or check Cooper, Mastercraft, and Jetzon tires. I think you can find better tires for a good price.

Oh, yeah....check manufacturer websites for the latest rebates.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:
Perhaps BGF has come a long way, but I have never been particularly impressed with them beyond the 40K mark. It also appears from looking at Sam's that they are using the same or similar rubber they have been using, which is much different from Michelin LTX rubber. I haven't purchased a set of BFGs since around 2005.

I will say that my 2003 Michelin X Radial LTs are the best tires I have ever owned, and they will be replaced with either LTX M/S or set of X Radial LT2s. I have literally, never, ever personally seen a BFG truck tire last beyond 60K miles, and they usually fail because of tire construction rather than tread wear. I have never seen a Michelin LTX fail short of 60K outside of damage or misalignment.

IMHO, the LTX M/S is the best truck tire out there.

FWIW, I currently have 100,500 miles on Uniroyal Tiger Paws (touring 225/60-16) bought through walmart.com and shipped to store for $75 each. They aren't to the wear bars, and are wearing very evenly. I'm trying for 120,000, but at the first sign of trouble I'll swap.

Decided on the Uniroyals and had them installed yesterday. Smooth and quiet on the way home...hope they stay that way. I'll report back as mileage accumulates.

I have the LTX M+S 2's on my truck and like them,but the new stiffer sidewall may have been a little harsh on the Highlander.

Originally Posted By: Airycat
Michelen tires are overrated,

Any proof to go along with that?

No?

06.gif

Well, thanks for sharing, anyway.

you'll find that many who have never had the pleasure of a set of matched Michelins on their car or truck have a million reasons not to buy them.

The important question no one asked SWSportsman is how long they plan on owning that rig. If short, then go cheap.

As said above, Michelin also makes the BFG and Uniroyal brands as well as some private label brands and a few private lines for Sears and Wally. I've seen nothing to make me think that the cheapest are the same quality as the most expensive. Uniroyals equal Michelins only for part of the Michelin's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back