Michelin LTX Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this on the news last night. I emailed my friends/family who have the Michelin LTX MS Tires. They'll all be happy that none of them have this size tire specific to the recall.

Just some thoughts for those who are interested:

I notice that there are 1.2 million tires being recalled - produced over a 2 1/2 year production period. That means they produced almost a half a million a year. That's a HUGE number.

I also notice that some of these were supplied to Ford - and looking that up, it's E-150's. That's a bit of a surprise, as I would have thought that the light duty van would have P metric tires, the same size as the pickup trucks. Nope!!

These vans were pretty popular and that would account for the huge volume.

Having dealt with Ford, they are VERY sensitive to any recall type item - and no doubt pushed this issue strongly. They would have been aware of the failures through their dealer network.

Further, the problem with Ford (and any other OEM for that matter) is that once a tire has been qualified for use, they don't like changes. Any change has to be approved - and re-qualified, which is expensive. I can easily imagine that at the beginning of 2010, the tire could have been designed 5 years earlier.

I note with interest that the tire size involved was OE on E-150's since 2007 - and I wonder if either Michelin supplied the tires from the beginning (2007) and made a change in production in early 2010, or started supplying Ford with this tire starting in 2010.

It also appears that the Ford E-150 was discontinued with the last model being 2012 - coinciding with the end of the tire recall period. - and they haven't really replaced the vehicle yet. They do have a Transit Connect, but it is really a smaller vehicle and not at all like the full sized vans. A heavier duty vehicle called the Transit is coming in the summer of 2014 that appears to be a direct replacement for the E-series.

That means for 2 years, Ford did not have a vehicle in this category - so maybe my statement that these were popular vehicles is in error.

I also note that the tire is no longer available anywhere I looked, but I have to consider it might be because it has been pulled due to the recall. On the other hand, it has been a year and a half since the last recall tire was produced - and that might have been the end of production - period.

Doing some math, I figure that the early production (2010) failure rate was about 0.2% - which is about what I figured the failure rate was for the huge Firestone recall some 13 years ago. That would have gotten Ford's attention for sure.

This is the kind of thinking that I was expected to do before I retired. Management would have wanted this kind of insight - and I assume someone else is doing that as I write this.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
These tires were not put on E 150.There only put on E350 and E450

It looks like we may both be right.

According to Tire Guides, the size in question was never used on E-350's, but according to Tire Rack and Discount Tire, it was. Neither Tire Rack nor Tire Guides list E-450's but Discount Tire does - and they show only the size in question

And clearly, Tire Guides, Discount Tire, and Tire Rack list the E-150 taking that size - and only that size.

Last edited:
115/112R LRE = Load Range E Right?

Some guys at work use E250/350 with these if I am not mistaken, the sidewall and tread design looks unique to me. If these are the tires that are recalled they seem like an older design to me?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
115/112R LRE = Load Range E Right?

Some guys at work use E250/350 with these if I am not mistaken, the sidewall and tread design looks unique to me. If these are the tires that are recalled they seem like an older design to me?

In my world virtually any truck running load range E tires is at the smallest a 245/75-16 tire or larger...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In my world virtually any truck running load range E tires is at the smallest a 245/75-16 tire or larger...

You can get load range E in a 225/75-16. For Michelin, it is both LTX's and a XPS highway tire.

But there are lots of LR E tires in this size.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

You can get load range E in a 225/75-16. For Michelin, it is both LTX's and a XPS highway tire.

But there are lots of LR E tires in this size.

I think you missed the point. OEM is almost ALWAYS the size I listed...

225/75R16E was used on Ford, Dodge, and GM vans for many years. IIRC, DRW cutaways still use it. Also, some trucks ran 215/85R16's.

Just so we are clear on this: The issue was about what vehicles Michelin supplied those recall tires to.

The tires themselves may have been the correct size for some other vehicles at some other point in time, but during the timeframe involved, there was only one family of vehicles that those would have been supplied OE to. Nick was pointing out that I may have been wrong on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back