Michelin LTX AT/2 - Less Than Impressed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
OP should have bought LTX MS2's...
Buy LTX M/S like I did, and to pull them off at 32,000 miles because they were so bad? OK, whatever.
I wish these AT/2s were as good as the MS/2s I had on my F150...

I have the same 275/65/20 AT/2 Michelin on my 3500 D-max. I found they like 70-80 psi and minimum 20X8.5" wheel. The three steel belts add weight and likely take away some speed manners. Mine shake around 70 mph when the truck is empty.

I've usually had very good service from Michelin tires, but I haven't had good luck lately. With tires in general, in fact. We had two different sets of Michelin Latitude Tours put on our MDX before we tried a different model -- the Primacy MXV4. The Latitudes would never balance. The Primacys are better. Not perfect, but pretty good. Due to all the trouble we had with the Latitudes on the MDX, I put a set of Firestone Destination LE2s on the CR-V I used to have -- and then put on a SECOND set of them after the first set wouldn't balance. I was sure it wasn't the car, because the Michelins that came off were good. Even the second set of Firestones wasn't super...just livable.

The Ridgeline has the LTX M/S -- the OEM tire. The original set lasted about 80,000 miles, and this is the first replacement set, with about 20,000 miles on them. Fortunately, they're balanced pretty good and I have no complaints from them. They have some super light weather checking on them, but that's likely from being parked outside all day in the Arizona sun by my brother. It now stays in the garage, so any ozone influence will stop for the most part.

Our MDX will need tires in another year or so. The Primacy MXV4s have about 30,000 miles on them, and I'll look to get about 40k before replacement. Not sure what I'll put on. I'm not as strong on Michelin as I once was, but I'm also not strong on Firestone, either. Both could have been an unlikely fluke for us...who knows. Honestly, I think the Destination LE2 would be a great tire for the MDX, but I'd have a hard time convincing my wife, due to all the frustration I had with the two sets on the CR-V...

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not an option since the AT/2's came on the truck from the factory. I have been fighting this issue since the truck was purchased though as I stated the front tires were not the fault of Michelin, but the back tires are.

Sorry to hear of this, as it really dampens the new truck purchase.

But I will not put up with carp tires on my trucks. My wife noticed how poorly her new RAM was in the rain with its carpy Goodyear RS-A's. They came off while still near new to be replaced with Michelin LTX MS2's.

The truck is quieter, rides better, and is stuck to the road no matter the conditions. Ours were 20 inchers, too. A bit pricey but I got a few hundred for the old tires very quickly from a fellow truck owner...

Not an option since the AT/2's came on the truck from the factory. I have been fighting this issue since the truck was purchased though as I stated the front tires were not the fault of Michelin, but the back tires are.
Sorry to hear of this, as it really dampens the new truck purchase.
Thanks! I would have much rather had MS/2s on it from the factory. The set that I had on my 2010 lasted 80K with no issues whatsoever. After only 8K, I am ready to trash these AT/2s--I only hope the replacement of the tire today solves the issue.

So that's interesting. It has been said many times that OE variants of name-brand tires are not the same as aftermarket of the same brand/line.

We're the warranty replacements the OE compound or the aftermarket type?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So that's interesting. It has been said many times that OE variants of name-brand tires are not the same as aftermarket of the same brand/line. We're the warranty replacements the OE compound or the aftermarket type?
I am not sure, but I am guessing aftermarket (since they are coming from Discount Tire), if such a difference even exists for AT/2 tires.

I am not sure, but I am guessing aftermarket (since they are coming from Discount Tire), if such a difference even exists for AT/2 tires.

I don't know for sure, but I presume that Michelin makes only one part number of the A/T2 in your size. In other words, the tire you buy in the aftermarket is the same tire that Ford puts on at the factory.

There may be a way to tell: at one time, I think Ford had a code (beginning with F and followed by 5 or 6 numbers) printed on the sidewall to identify OEM tires, or at least ones that meet their performance specification. If you can find an F code on the sidewall of those tires, I think it'd be safe to presume that they're identical to the factory tires.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Buy LTX M/S like I did, and to pull them off at 32,000 miles because they were so bad? OK, whatever.

While I'm with you on not liking them in the snow, I am looking forward to putting mine back on come spring--I think I have like 8/32's left after 30k or so.

But I did have issues with getting them to balance, the "road force" numbers were high. [Don't remember all the details now, would have to search old threads.] And we like the RT43's on our Camry more than the Primacies and Energies it had prior--better snow traction, and what looks like a longer tire life.

Honestly if it was me.....id never look back and look elsewhere for a different brand of tire. This just sounds like a headache for a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
Honestly if it was me.....id never look back and look elsewhere for a different brand of tire. This just sounds like a headache for a new vehicle.
Well, they cost way too much to do that and Michelin needs to stand behind their product. After this last tire change, it seems to have solved it (at least for now).

I agree 100 percent....but i think after i wore those down i might be done if it was me. Hope your problem free from here on out.

Last edited:
Discount tire does not as a rule seem to have true road force balancers, they have "quick match" which doesn't actually measure road force.

They also don't seem to use even that.

I'm not so sure I'd completely blame Michelin.

FWIW, I was satisfied with the AT/2 I had, though they were a very different size...

Are you sure its the tires and not the dealer? Some dealers are unable to do a good balance job. Hit or miss depends on who is running the machine and how much they care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Discount tire does not as a rule seem to have true road force balancers, they have "quick match" which doesn't actually measure road force.....

At one point in time, Discount Tire REQUIRED all their stores to have a Hunter GSP9700 that has a RoadForce feature and required them to use it. The idea was to prevent vibrations and dissatisfied customers.

They have since changed that. So some stores have them and use the feature and some don't.

And if you want, I could go into a lengthy discussion of why that isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
And if you want, I could go into a lengthy discussion of why that isn't a bad idea.

I'm pretty much always up for a tire post from you, so have at it if you like...
wink.gif

I'm not so sure I'd completely blame Michelin.
At least two of the tires had slipped belts in them (this last tire was the worst). Though I agree that DT could be at fault, the fact that I have been to 3 different stores tends to discount that (no pun intended). I am fairly certain it is the tires.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Are you sure its the tires and not the dealer? Some dealers are unable to do a good balance job. Hit or miss depends on who is running the machine and how much they care.
The dealer has been out of the picture since the front tires were replaced. But, yes the dealer was lousy with regards to alignments and balancing. It took three separate alignment trips to get it right and in the end they sent the truck to an outside shop. I am fairly confident it is/was the tires--the problem seems to have been resolved with the last tire change. I only hope that it remains that way because at present, my thoughts are that when these AT/2s wear out, I will be shopping for a different brand.

Discount tire does not as a rule seem to have true road force balancers, they have "quick match" which doesn't actually measure road force.....

At one point in time, Discount Tire REQUIRED all their stores to have a Hunter GSP9700 that has a RoadForce feature and required them to use it. The idea was to prevent vibrations and dissatisfied customers.

They have since changed that. So some stores have them and use the feature and some don't.

I would like to hear your thoughts on it--more knowledge is always a good thing.

I'm pretty much always up for a tire post from you, so have at it if you like...
wink.gif

Uh...YEAH!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back