2019 Audi SQ5 3.0T metal specs on oil filter

2019 SQ5 bought used from a VW dealer in March 2023 with 27k kms or 17k miles. I used to camera to verify that it had new style rockers before purchase (which had been an issue on some 2018 cars - needle bearing failure).

Oil was also changed by the dealer at the time of purchase but I don't have documentation because they still owned it at the time. I presume they used 0w-20 508 spec as they were a VW dealer and would have the correct oil (although it never seemed tinted green).

Changed the oil today using the traditional from the bottom method (removing the drain plug). The oil filter to my surprise was covered in metal sparkles. I can't really comment on the oil drain pan I used because it was dirty with old oil to begin with, but I didn't find any large bits of metal.

Car is now at 37k kms or 23k miles. The oil change interval was 10k kms or 6200 miles, of which 70% was highway miles. I just got back from a 2500 mile road trip across the US midwest. I was driving 85 mph across the rolling prairie of South Dakota with a roof top box and the engine was working hard. I hit 110C or 230F oil temps on a couple occasions on a long uphill stretch. My oil level was full before the trip, but afterwards the level had fallen to midway between min and max, so I consumed at least 0.5L of oil on the trip, maybe slightly more.

A month ago I tuned the car as it was out of warranty and recorded a 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds. The engine runs strong, no ticking or odd noises.

Thoughts on this oil filter? Should I be seriously concerned or just monitor for now?

BTW the oil was refilled with 0w-30 vw 504 spec.

2019 SQ5 bought used from a VW dealer in March 2023 with 27k kms or 17k miles. I used to camera to verify that it had new style rockers before purchase (which had been an issue on some 2018 cars - needle bearing failure).

Oil was also changed by the dealer at the time of purchase but I don't have documentation because they still owned it at the time. I presume they used 0w-20 508 spec as they were a VW dealer and would have the correct oil (although it never seemed tinted green).

Changed the oil today using the traditional from the bottom method (removing the drain plug). The oil filter to my surprise was covered in metal sparkles. I can't really comment on the oil drain pan I used because it was dirty with old oil to begin with, but I didn't find any large bits of metal.

Car is now at 37k kms or 23k miles. The oil change interval was 10k kms or 6200 miles, of which 70% was highway miles. I just got back from a 2500 mile road trip across the US midwest. I was driving 85 mph across the rolling prairie of South Dakota with a roof top box and the engine was working hard. I hit 110C or 230F oil temps on a couple occasions on a long uphill stretch. My oil level was full before the trip, but afterwards the level had fallen to midway between min and max, so I consumed at least 0.5L of oil on the trip, maybe slightly more.

A month ago I tuned the car as it was out of warranty and recorded a 0-60mph in 4.4 seconds. The engine runs strong, no ticking or odd noises.

Thoughts on this oil filter? Should I be seriously concerned or just monitor for now?

BTW the oil was refilled with 0w-30 vw 504 spec.

Edit: I did see the end of the video that look meh.

Last edited:
OK that's a lot of metal. Do a uoa even though particle counts differ by size. But if there's that much large metal there's gonna be a lot of small metal too. If it comes back high dump it at the dealer and get something else. That's high enough to indicate a problem.

OK that's a lot of metal. Do a uoa even though particle counts differ by size. But if there's that much large metal there's gonna be a lot of small metal too. If it comes back high dump it at the dealer and get something else. That's high enough to indicate a problem.
If you really want an analysis of the particles it needs to be sent to a lab for EDX or some other analysis method that will find out what they are. At least an acid digestion after a filter wash.

That thing looks like a well used air filter. What is all the particulate matter in the filter pleats?

NOW you tell us? Looks like bits of can metal from cutting with a saw blade.
There is no metal in the filter, it's paper and plastic. Cutting the filter is not the source of the metal. Seeing the metal particles on the filter inspired me to cut it open.

Both my Audis have an integrated oil filter housing and you swap in/out a new filter element.

Attachments

• 20230727_123621.jpg
    20230727_123621.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 27
There is no metal in the filter, it's paper and plastic. Cutting the filter is not the source of the metal. Seeing the metal particles on the filter inspired me to cut it open.

Both my Audis have an integrated oil filter housing and you swap in/out a new filter element.
Ahha sorry for drawing a wrong conclusion.

If you do want those metal pieces analyzed you’ll have to send it out for a special analysis as noted above.

Now I'm really confused. You say your car has an integrated oil filter housing and you swap in/out a new filter element from the housing, but in post #8 you said, I used a saw blade to cut the filter open. So do you have a cartridge filter or a spin on metal filter which you would need a saw blade to cut open?

He cut the plastic end caps off the filter with a saw so that he could look through the pleats.

I’ve never had one of these engine fail, had rocker arms fall off the valve stems. But that causes misfires.

I would be tempted to do 1000 miles then do a oil change. Use a clean drain pan and cut the filter open again.

Good choice with the 504 oil as that’s what the 2.9 engines from the RS models use as I’m sure you are aware.

What tuning have you had done? From who?

Seems like a lot of glitter. I'd run a UOA to see what shows up.

My 2021 Cayman S purchased new had the same small metal spec when I changed the filter. First oil change by dealer at 4k miles. I did second oil change at 7k and 2 years and saw them. I suspect from manufacturing process

I thought I'd update this thread. Engine is still running fine 6,000 kms later.

After many hours of online searching and watching youtube videos of this engine being disassembled, the most likely cause of the metal sparkles is cam shaft gear wear. Audi used sintered aluminum for the gears and the timing chain appears to gradually wear the gear teeth, allowing fine aluminum particles to accumulate in the oil filter.

There is a youtube channel called VAG Technik which has posted several videos documenting rocker arm replacement on the 3.0L V6 EA839. During the job, they noted cam shaft gear wear and mentioned the timing chain being the cause. They replaced the gears while they had the engine apart.

Overall the issue seems common as I have found dozens of reports on forums and youtube videos. Most owners that have their vehicle serviced at the dealer are probably blissfully unaware.

I thought I'd update this thread. Engine is still running fine 6,000 kms later.

After many hours of online searching and watching youtube videos of this engine being disassembled, the most likely cause of the metal sparkles is cam shaft gear wear. Audi used sintered aluminum for the gears and the timing chain appears to gradually wear the gear teeth, allowing fine aluminum particles to accumulate in the oil filter.

There is a youtube channel called VAG Technik which has posted several videos documenting rocker arm replacement on the 3.0L V6 EA839. During the job, they noted cam shaft gear wear and mentioned the timing chain being the cause. They replaced the gears while they had the engine apart.

Overall the issue seems common as I have found dozens of reports on forums and youtube videos. Most owners that have their vehicle serviced at the dealer are probably blissfully unaware.
Glad it's sorta nothing? Haha

Aluminum is an absolutely ignorant choice for a gear that drives a steel chain. Worse, I think, than the nylon gears in various old American motors.

Back