Media torn at pleat to to end cap mating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a AAP filter where the media tore at two side by side pleats where they mated to the end cap. The filter had metal end caps.

Has anyone seen this before?

I ran about 1500 miles like this (with the torn media) and suspect that most of the oil, if not all was bypassing the media. I have 3 vehicles (and I change the oil in them all at the same time) and noticed that oil in the vehicle that had the torn media was getting darker much quicker than the other two and that prompted me to change the oil earlier than normal. When I removed the filter I noticed all of the oil quickly drained out of the filter and that prompted me to cut it open and that is when I discovered the torn media. The two tears where on both sides of two pleats at the end cap for a total tear length of about an inch.

Do you think any long term damage was done to the engine by oil bypassing through these tears in the media?

How long can you run bypassing the oil filter media in a otherwise well maintained engine before detectable engine damage occurs?

Are you sure you didn't tear the media during the tear-down procedure?

Look at the fibers in the tear, if a majority point inward, it's a pretty sure bet the tearing happened during manufacture.

Quote:

How long can you run bypassing the oil filter media in a otherwise well maintained engine before detectable engine damage occurs?

1500 miles? I wouldn't worry a bit. That's not long enough to cause any damage at all.
twocents.gif

May I point out that there was a time that vehicles were sold with no oil filter. I had one such car - a 57 Chevy. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back