Maxlife or Maxlife Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Delphi
Here is the link for Valvoline Maxlife: Maxlife
but the pdf for Maxlife synthetic is missing from their site. Perhaps they are updating it.

The Noack number is not very good -- not even close to "awesome". I suspect the Maxlife synthetic to be close to the same.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh, 777, that is the typical LESS THAN 15% listed on many data sheets, which is the limit for SM/GF-4.

Maxlife synthetic 10w-30 has a NOACK of 8%; the 5w-30 is 10%. Most off the shelf oils in 5w-30 are close to 15%.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Mudcat
Quote:
but now will head back to the blend maxlife for 10 some for the jug at wally!

What's kind of strange about this pair of sister oils is the blend has better cold weather specs than the full synthetic. Who would have thought that?

NO IT DOESN'T!!!

The full synthetic 10w-30 cranks like 10,000 cP and pumps about 12,000 cP; the blend is twice that, roughly. The 5w-30 is close but the synthetic has a lower pour point.

Maxlife synthetic has outstanding cold weather specs and awesome specs in general, especially NOACK volatility.

Drew, you maybe correct regarding 10w-30 oils. However, my comments were addressed to the OP who was considering either 5W-30 MaxLife Blend or 5W-30 MaxLife Synthetic.

Below is the data I was considering when I wrote my comment. It is still my opinion that the blend has better cold weather specs than the full synthetic given this information.

MaxLife Blend 5W-30 (per PDS 2-14-07)
CCS cP (Deg C) 5800 @ -30Deg C
MRV TP-1 cP (Deg C) 18,000 @ -35 Deg C

MaxLife Synthetic 5W-30 (per PDS 9-12-07)
CCS cP (Deg C) 6000 @ -30Deg C
MRV TP-1 cP (Deg C) 20000 @ -35 Deg C

I have it bookmarked somewhere, but here's a jpg. from the PDS dated 4/27/06...

ValvolineMaxlifePDS001.jpg

Mudcat, I saw you posted these new specs in another thread- 11.7 cSt 100Deg C, 70.0 cSt 40Deg C, VI = 162. Those are almost identical to the MST specs! I would love to see the remainder of the 9/12/07 updated specs!

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Problem is that the full syn can be harder to find at times.

You know after all the praise that ML gets here, both the blend and synthetic, I was going to take a look at it and consider it but have also found that around where I live it is not easy to find, local auto parts stores always have the blend, and some have the "reg" Synpower synthetic, but don't have the Maxlife Synthetic. shoot, my local walmarts don't seem to stock the synpower at all. Out of curiosity, I did call one of the local Valvoline oil change places and asked if they carried the synthetic maxlife, they did and they were also willing to sell me some quarts to carry out. I can't remember if they gave me a price, but I bet it would be competitive with some of the other syns at local autoparts stores. I know at AZ today, I saw regular synpower for just under 6 bucks I believe whereas all the other big name synthetics were over 6 bucks per quart.

As a side note, looking at the PDS, I would have thought that the TBN of the full synthetic maxlife would have been higher than 7, anyone else wonder that as well?

Yea, considering the Maxlife syn blend has a TBN of 7.5; I recall seeing an updated Maxlife synthetic data sheet where the TBN was 7.5 or 8.

I'm gussing maybe the syn has better TBN retention. It's not just the starting TBN number but how well an oil retains TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back