Maxlife or Maxlife Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question. Have a car, 120,000 miles, I plan on doing 4,000 OCI. I am deciding on either the Maxlife 5w30 or the Maxlife 5w30 syn.

Which of the two would be the best for this? Does the synthetic maxlife have any more protection, cold weather abilities, etc at this OCI or would it be best just to stay with the blend for 10 bucks at Walmart?

In other words would I benefit from running the SYN over the normal Maxlife

Nope. Stick with the blend for 10 bucks at Walmart. TallPual will probably chime in here and tell you exactly the same thing.

Full syns are better at startup. Use both with confidence. Maxlife is excellent..

perfect, thanks guys, that's what I thought, but for only 4k, I was thinking the syn wasn't really needed and I know both are really great oils. I have ran in before and it was great. Then went to PP for awhile, but now will head back to the blend maxlife for 10 some for the jug at wally!

I have run regular Maxlife 5000 miles and up to 15 months in a motorhome. Not sure how long you take to rack up 4000 miles, but even it a year and you have regular longer trips (15+ miles) you should be fine for up to 5K or 1 year OCI.

Having lived in Mn for several years and enjoying the countless days of sub zero winter temps I would without question opt for the Synthetic.

Dennis

How about the full syn Maxlife for the coldest part of winter and then the blend for the rest of the year? Problem is that the full syn can be harder to find at times.

Quote:

but now will head back to the blend maxlife for 10 some for the jug at wally!

What's kind of strange about this pair of sister oils is the blend has better cold weather specs than the full synthetic. Who would have thought that?

If I could get my hands on Maxlife full synthetic, and if I could afford it, I'd definitely without question run it! But Maxlife blend is still excellent oil.
wink.gif

I live in MN and have used many miles worth of the Maxlife products. My friends and I have noticed that the Maxlife blend performs better in the cold than the syn formula. It is the oddest thing, but the syn-maxlife actually has made the engines tick and click on cold starts, where the blend-maxlife seems to be quite good for cold starts. If it gets VERY cold, try the 5W-20 grade.

However, the syn maxlife has stopped/repaired leaks, where the blend is only mediocre at the task, in our experience. If memory serves, the blend may even give better UOA's than the syn. Unless there is a leak, we have far better value with the blend.

Originally Posted By: DSteven
However, the syn maxlife has stopped/repaired leaks, where the blend is only mediocre at the task, in our experience.

Interesting, because I've noticed the exact opposite. Several years ago, MLsyn 10w30 woke up a new leak in VC gasket...put MLblend back in on next OCI and leak went away. I'm not saying you're wrong, just a different observation.

Originally Posted By: Mudcat
Quote:

What's kind of strange about this pair of sister oils is the blend has better cold weather specs than the full synthetic. Who would have thought that?

NO IT DOESN'T!!!

The full synthetic 10w-30 cranks like 10,000 cP and pumps about 12,000 cP; the blend is twice that, roughly. The 5w-30 is close but the synthetic has a lower pour point.

Maxlife synthetic has outstanding cold weather specs and awesome specs in general, especially NOACK volatility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Mudcat
Quote:

NO IT DOESN'T!!!

The full synthetic 10w-30 cranks like 10,000 cP and pumps about 12,000 cP; the blend is twice that, roughly. The 5w-30 is close but the synthetic has a lower pour point.

Maxlife synthetic has outstanding cold weather specs and awesome specs in general, especially NOACK volatility.

Thanks for the info...i think i found my next oil.

Quote:

Please provide a link to the 5W-30 Noack number - plus the cold weather specs?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Please provide a link to the 5W-30 Noack number - plus the cold weather specs?

The Product Spec pdf for Maxlife Synthetic is somewhere on the Valvoline website. But they don't provide a link for it. Somebody posted the link here a few weeks back and I got the spec sheet then. I have it but there's no way to upload it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back