Matic D / Dex3 transfer case options - not max life

I have two Nissan transfer cases - both call for Matic D - they also have a foot note that in Canada they can use Dex3/merc. The transfer case is the same - all these vehicles assembled in TN - so I assume Dex3 is fine anywhere. Read here there pretty much the same also.

I switched to Max Life due to cost. In the year or so since, they started to struggle to go in and out of 4wd. It takes a while - sometimes you need to stop, or even back up. Also, when I changed one had like 300K miles on it, the other about 100K, and neither did it before, so it could be because there getting older, but it seems odd they both start now.

So was thinking of going back to Matic D - its much thicker by spec. But its about $14 a quart. I only need 2.1 quarts per case, so its not earth ending. But wondering if there is a better Dex3 option. I at least want the proper dex3 viscosity, and I think its mineral oil. I see Valvoline has one in a blue bottle, but between this and the recent posted 75w90 test results, I think I am staying away from Valvoline.

Thoughts?

Amsoil ATF (not ATL)
This has an interesting aspect - the only Nissan spec it meets is Matic S, but the viscosity is significantly higher than actual Matic S. Viscosity does appear to be in the range of original Dex3.

Any Walmart near you?
Obviously, however it doesn't show up online for pick up, which means its not in the store, and I have never seen it in the store either. Maybe its regional. In fact the only Mag1 I see at walmart is being sold by third parties?

Is there a good place to get this - without going through an Amazon 3rd party or such. Only one distributor in my state - 100 miles away.
RockAuto has a 5-gallon pail of Mag1 Dex3 for $69 plus $15 to ship to my house. After taxes and shipping, it was $85.27, and at $17.20/gallon can't really beat that if you want Dex3

Don't the available grades overlap? As in an 80W-90 for example.
Certainly not my area of expertise. However I though GL-4 is of the "sycnromesh" type stuff - like 70W-80 - with a hot viscosity around 9 or 10. 80-W90 has a hot viscosity around 15 or so I believe. Dex3 was 8.0 or less I think?

I also don't think a transfer case is going to heat up much in normal operation - because most of the time your in 2wd and have no load - so the cold viscosity might come into play as well?

No idea really, but Nissan specs ATF, so that is what I prefer to keep I think.

I'm just thinking, unless there's a need for a clutch modifier (brass/carbon) then the anti-wear of a GL-4/5 would probably be preferred for less gear/chain/bearing wear.

Back