Married women not wearing wedding ring

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're worried about loosing them, you paid too much.

My wife isn't into diamonds or expensive shiny things. Her engagement ring and matching band (in white gold) were about a week's pay.
My "nice" ring was $45 (cobalt chrome, which matches her white gold very well) and I have two backup/travel ones from amazon that were ~$14 total (tungsten).

We're very financially compatible and one of the reasons we knew we were right for each other.

CZs look fantastic and there's no reason to buy an actual diamond. Its all made up in marketing. If your wife/girlfriend can't see through that, good luck. To think that spending more money on a ring, for no reason, somehow means you love them more? Sad and misinformed.

You can buy silicon band type workout rings for gym, etc. Some women prefer to wear a ring, even if not married, to hopefully head off harassing talk from guys. Some women actually go to the gym to just work out! The others who are married and like to remove their rings often, well maybe they like the attention. Some need that self-esteem boost.

Apologists and excuse makers galore in this thread.

Valid reasons not withstanding, a married woman that chooses not to wear a wedding ring is clearly lacking in respect for her vows and spouse. There is a time honored REASON the ring is a part of the marital process.

I wonder how these females would feel if the husband had decided not to have purchased a ring in the first place?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: supton
I often take mine off. Don't want to lose it. Means nadda. Wife would be PO'd if I lost mine, not because of the sentiment but because of what we paid for it--platinum, and it wasn't cheap. Hers is platinum too, and neither of us wants to pay replacement.

Seems kind of lame. You should each purchase a cheaper ring and at a loving moment exchange them privately. I mean seriously,,,, I'm not buying it.

Why?

Neither of us needs to look at our knuckles to know we shouldn't flirt with anyone; and neither of us goes places where we're apt to get hit on. Same token, if you are going to wear one, why not wear the good one?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
If you're worried about loosing them, you paid too much.

That's a fair point, one I wish I had thought of eons ago. Live only once, I guess, and if I were to do it again... maybe. There is symbolism there, and the whole wedding thing is full of symbolism (whether we buy all aspects of it or only parts). It was nice to exchange rings as a symbol of marriage, and of course our marriage is high value to us...
21.gif

Will say platinum is overblown. Mine lost is polish very quickly. Probably great for a diamond setting (and wife insisted on a six prong for safety). Neither of us was wild about gold.

Honestly, if I were to do it again, I might skip the ring. If I can't admit to being married in a situation were I was getting hitting on, then perhaps I shouldn't be married.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

I have to somewhat agree. Again a personal decision, but a woman not wearing her ring to the gym..lol. I workout harder than almost any other woman. There is absolutely no reason for her to remove her ring for that. A woman that frequents a gym without her ring..doesn't realize she is trolling?...lol. Lol..dump her..she isn't very bright or How about this bridge I have for sale.

Any husband that disagrees deserves a big LOL[size:17pt][/size] for Naivety!

As I said:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
My wife takes hers off every time she goes to the gym (daily) for safety reasons.

umm, ok. Maybe you better rethink that, this is from someone who spends a lot of time at the gym.

Last edited:
supton said:
Seems kind of lame. You should each purchase a cheaper ring and at a loving moment exchange them privately. I mean seriously,,,, I'm not buying it.

Aren't you the guy that meets up regularly with a married 40 something yr old lady that in your eyes is a perfect 10?

I have to somewhat agree. Again a personal decision, but a woman not wearing her ring to the gym..lol. I workout harder than almost any other woman. There is absolutely no reason for her to remove her ring for that. A woman that frequents a gym without her ring..doesn't realize she is trolling?...lol. Lol..dump her..she isn't very bright or How about this bridge I have for sale.

Any husband that disagrees deserves a big LOL[size:17pt][/size] for Naivety!

As I said:
Originally Posted By: bradepb
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
My wife takes hers off every time she goes to the gym (daily) for safety reasons.

umm, ok. Maybe you better rethink that, this is from someone who spends a lot of time at the gym.

The two best places to meet someone are at a bar or gym depending on your lifestyle. think I will go to a singles bar tonight and take my wedding ring off for "safety"

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
supton said:

Aren't you the guy that meets up regularly with a married 40 something yr old lady that in your eyes is a perfect 10?

You botched quoting Al.

There is a time honored REASON the ring is a part of the marital process.

In Roman times, the reason for the ring was to show a man's ownership of the woman . Is this what you mean?

The tone of many here that regard the symbolic ring important imply the reason is to protect an insecurity regarding trust and fidelity. Some don't trust that their spouse is capable of thwarting an advance at a gym or bar? What is the value of the marriage under these conditions? Not very high, in my opinion. Maybe its naive thinking, but I would never want to rely on a symbolic ring as the strength of my marriage. It makes me think of people displaying their patriotism by driving their truck around town with a giant flag flowing out the back or devout religious people relying on stained glass or other symbolic idolatry to prove their commitment. In the end, it comes down to what you actually do, not what you project to others what you do. You can fool people for quite a long time, but the truth emerges eventually.

And, the round ring symbolizing endless, eternal commitment? Ha! 50% success rate is not something to brag about.

Count me/us out as ones needing a symbolic chunk of metal as a time honored tradition of commitment.

It's like a lot of things in the 24 hour news cycle, Facebook world of today...it's not about the action of not wearing the ring, it's about assigning something to that action. This board would be assigning a societal breakdown to what is a trend, a personal choice, or the actions of a singular gold digger, before they'd take the situation in aggregate.

My 85 year old mom sometimes didn't wear her ring during my folks almost 60 years of marriage. It's good to know she'd be labelled a trolling skank if she went to the gym without it because she cracked a previous one. It's also good to know that people apparently care more about it than she would have.

I'm not buying it.

SatinSilver,
if he wanted to hump the 40 year old perfect 10 lady, he would have done it already...
i think is more like "nice protegee" case.
had 3 of them. 2 of them are maried and in a much better place personal and career
it is really nice to talk to a young smart snappy girl, and guide her trough life to blossom.

p.s. watch for the really emotional ones. i tough my ribs are gonna crack last time i got a bear hug from changing her mood from mining-basement to yapeeeeeee with 10-words...

P.S. to P.S. the reason i do that is self-serving: when i will not be around, i hope somebody wise will be around my impulsive daughters.

Valid reasons not withstanding, a married woman that chooses not to wear a wedding ring is clearly lacking in respect for her vows and spouse. There is a time honored REASON the ring is a part of the marital process.

I wonder how these females would feel if the husband had decided not to have purchased a ring in the first place?

And I agree with you too andrewg. All the married women I've known who refused to wear their wedding rings were total hoes that didn't take their marriage and relationship seriously and always acted single. If they don't feel the need to wear a ring to symbolize their bond,then why bother paying for the piece of paper from the state saying they're married. Just stay bf/gf or whatever they want to call their relationship.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

And I agree with you too andrewg. All the married women I've known who refused to wear their wedding rings were total hoes that didn't take their marriage and relationship seriously and always acted single. If they don't feel the need to wear a ring to symbolize their bond,then why bother paying for the piece of paper from the state saying they're married. Just stay bf/gf or whatever they want to call their relationship.

exactly

Originally Posted By: pandus13

SatinSilver,
if he wanted to hump the 40 year old perfect 10 lady, he would have done it already...
i think is more like "nice protegee" case.
had 3 of them. 2 of them are maried and in a much better place personal and career
it is really nice to talk to a young smart snappy girl, and guide her trough life to blossom.

p.s. watch for the really emotional ones. i tough my ribs are gonna crack last time i got a bear hug from changing her mood from mining-basement to yapeeeeeee with 10-words...

P.S. to P.S. the reason i do that is self-serving: when i will not be around, i hope somebody wise will be around my impulsive daughters.

You hit the nail right on the head. In her particular case....its more mundane things I have helped her with..like her car. (we both have subarus). Strictly plutonic but we both get something out the relationship.

The OP is probably referring to nurses and others that work in hospitals since that's where his job takes him. So there could be many reasons for this including rules associated with certain jobs, safety, hygiene, etc.

True.

But outside work they don't wear a ring.

If it's typical behavior, then it may be nothing.

If she's been wearing it for years and suddenly and frequently goes out without it... you may need to start snooping a bit.

As Reagan said, "trust but verify."

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
There is a time honored REASON the ring is a part of the marital process.

In Roman times, the reason for the ring was to show a man's ownership of the woman . Is this what you mean?

The tone of many here that regard the symbolic ring important imply the reason is to protect an insecurity regarding trust and fidelity. Some don't trust that their spouse is capable of thwarting an advance at a gym or bar? What is the value of the marriage under these conditions? Not very high, in my opinion. Maybe its naive thinking, but I would never want to rely on a symbolic ring as the strength of my marriage. It makes me think of people displaying their patriotism by driving their truck around town with a giant flag flowing out the back or devout religious people relying on stained glass or other symbolic idolatry to prove their commitment. In the end, it comes down to what you actually do, not what you project to others what you do. You can fool people for quite a long time, but the truth emerges eventually.

And, the round ring symbolizing endless, eternal commitment? Ha! 50% success rate is not something to brag about.

Count me/us out as ones needing a symbolic chunk of metal as a time honored tradition of commitment.

Roman times??? That's the comparison to a tradition? 2,000 years ago? Nice try.

No. I am speaking of the last few generations....you know, the ones we can still relate to and have relevance!?

Marriage is about trust....and RESPECT. A woman is showing her respect for her marriage and the vows she undertook...in a PUBLIC way...by WEARING her ring to symbolize that she is NOT available for other possible suitors. Is there something wrong with that? These liberal notions of throwing out the old to make room for "new" ideas is rubbish when it comes to beautiful traditions.

And another thing....you are WRONG that all marriages end up in a 50% failure rate. You've been reading rubbish for data. That was debunked years ago.

Just so you know...I am not married and have been with my lady for 10 years now. So...I am not biased for or against marriage. But I do respect traditions.....especially beautiful ones.

My wife lost her ring by wrapping it up in a paper towel after cleaning, and threw away the paper towel. So, no ring for now. I personally don't wear ring because of potential short circuit risk. We both don't like wearing rings to begin with.

I laugh so hard when people were telling me I'm not being faithful to my wife because I'm not wearing a ring.......

Last edited:

My wife rarely wears her wedding band, mostly because she doesn't want to damage it. She always took it off to work out after scratching the heck out of a weight bar with it. (She usually wears it on her pendant.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back