Major Problems after Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
you have probbily loosend alot of carbon now its hanging the laves open intermitantly honda ,rodeo and jeeps dont have enough valve spring to smash it off the seat . and the valves dont rotate well below 3500 .

I did a valve adjustment, and it's running a little better. I'm still getting misfire codes though. It's mostly just on cyl1, sometimes cyl 1 and 3. Do you guys have any other ideas for figuring this out?

I'm leaning towards the possibility that o2 sensors got messed up from all the carbon. Any chance the cat might have gotten clogged up?

A clogged cat or a bad O2 sensor is not going to throw misfire codes. I've worked on Hondas a long time and tried alot of cleaners but have found nothing that will clean out the EGR ports other than manually removing it. I hate to be the stick in the mud but I am willing to bet that you will still require having the ports drilled&cleaned. If you don't PM me and I will start stocking the stuff in my shop. Good luck.

Quote:

A clogged cat or a bad O2 sensor is not going to throw misfire codes. I've worked on Hondas a long time and tried alot of cleaners but have found nothing that will clean out the EGR ports other than manually removing it. I hate to be the stick in the mud but I am willing to bet that you will still require having the ports drilled&cleaned. If you don't PM me and I will start stocking the stuff in my shop. Good luck.

Not sure what you mean in the last part. The hesitation associated with the build up is actually completely gone now. I also plan on cleaning the metering ports in the manifold.

If the O2 sensor is bad, an improper amount of fuel is going to be injected.

What do you think the problem is? I wasn't getting any misfire codes before the cleaning.

O2 sensors on Hondas can only enrich the mixture by a maximum of 14%.Thats nowhere close to enough to flood cylinders or cause a misfire. The reason you getting the misfire codes is because some of the metering ports are clogged causing way too much EGR flow to go to a cylinder causing that cylinder to misfire. Compression will be good and ignition fire will be good as well as feul to that particular cylinder but it will still misfire. We used to drill out plugs on the back of the manifolds to get to the clogged ereas to fix the problem. Thats why I said no cleaner would clear the problem. The carbon in there is as hard as a rock and no cleaner is going to get it out. Once you get it clean a real feul additive like Schaeffer's 131 or Soyshield will prevent it from happening again. Petro chemical sells a kit to alot of Honda shops that will keep those ports clean. You only use it every 15K or so and it's so strong that you hook directly to your intake to feed it in to your intake. Let it sit for about 30min and restart and you'll pi$$ every tree-hugger off within a 3 mile radious from the mushroom cloud coming from your Honda. You will notice the difference when done.

Quote:

O2 sensors on Hondas can only enrich the mixture by a maximum of 14%.Thats nowhere close to enough to flood cylinders or cause a misfire. The reason you getting the misfire codes is because some of the metering ports are clogged causing way too much EGR flow to go to a cylinder causing that cylinder to misfire. Compression will be good and ignition fire will be good as well as feul to that particular cylinder but it will still misfire. We used to drill out plugs on the back of the manifolds to get to the clogged ereas to fix the problem. Thats why I said no cleaner would clear the problem. The carbon in there is as hard as a rock and no cleaner is going to get it out. Once you get it clean a real feul additive like Schaeffer's 131 or Soyshield will prevent it from happening again. Petro chemical sells a kit to alot of Honda shops that will keep those ports clean. You only use it every 15K or so and it's so strong that you hook directly to your intake to feed it in to your intake. Let it sit for about 30min and restart and you'll pi$$ every tree-hugger off within a 3 mile radious from the mushroom cloud coming from your Honda. You will notice the difference when done.

Why do you think I'm getting misfire codes only AFTER running seafoam through the port that the egr valve connects directly to? Mostly only on one cylinder.

running seafoam through the EGR might help clean a path through the valve itself, but probably won't remove all the buildup that could potentially stick the valve in the open position. I think a manual cleaning of the EGR valve, and manual cleaning of the ducts into the manifold and the pipe leading to the valve are probably necessary to do it right and stop the misfire. Verify that the valve is opening and closing properly by hand (you can usually press up on the diaphragm up around the holes in the diaphragm basket)

Well, I cleaned the valve by hand. With the valve off, seafoam was poured into the port under the valve.

Btw, I did a comp test today. 150 180 130 150. A few months ago it was 175 160 175 175. This really killing me here..

Your compression is down because of the seafoam you run through it.(assuming you have not changed your oil&filter)
Calm down Vinu;your problem is no more difficult than cleaning the ports out on the thing. Just do it. It can be done on the car ofr you can take the manifold off. The majority of your EGR flow is going through one port thus killing that cylinder and setting a misfire code. Your Honda is still a baby and has many miles yet to go. Get you some good intake tract cleaner as I have mentioned before and this won't happen again.
thumbsup.gif

Oil+Filter were changed right after the seafoam. Not understanding why the seafoam through the egr ports would affect compression. Carbon scoring the cyl walls?

Going to check compression once again. If it is indeed low, I'm gonna pull the motor and hone/redo the rings. Will clean out the metering ports no matter what.

Quote:

Not understanding why the seafoam through the egr ports would affect compression. Carbon scoring the cyl walls?

Carbon build-up inside the cylinder increases compression because it's taking up space. When you remove it, your cylinder has more volume so now you are not squeezing the air as tightly and you should have lower compression. May want to check a manual to see what your compression specs are.

Quote:

Oil+Filter were changed right after the seafoam. Not understanding why the seafoam through the egr ports would affect compression. Carbon scoring the cyl walls?

Going to check compression once again. If it is indeed low, I'm gonna pull the motor and hone/redo the rings. Will clean out the metering ports no matter what.

Whoa there...remove and clean the EGR & intake manifold first and you may be quite surprised with the results
whistle.gif

No need to pull that engine due to this issue, all you need to do is pull the manifold and clean the EGR ports.

There's no need to mess with the rings at your mileage, probably wouldn't change the issue anyway.

Guys, the compression spec for my engine is 190psi. My test results are waay low. I will clean the manifold, but it's not going to bring back compression.

Please thoroughly read this post. If you've got a misfire problem, the cause should be relatively simple. Note the multiple suggestive solutions near the beginning ..and the long trip back to them ...all out of assumed integrity of recently replaced components. Assumptions do just what the adage implies.

Sometimes stopping to ask for directions is not the right move.

Hey, Mac, can you tell me the way to Redbud?

How did you know my name was Mac?

Just a lucky guess.

Well, why don't you lucky guess your way to Redbud?

Is it possible that the inducted seafoam loosed up a bunch of carbonized deposits in the combustion chamber that fouled up the upper comprssion and intermediate rings in a couple cylinder that seem to be way down in compression?

If the manifold cleansing and egr ducts does not restore compession, then you might want to think about ring pack cleansing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back