IVD CLEANING

Did IVD cleaning on 2019 Crosstrek. I used the hose from the Berryman IVD cleaning kit, which I used on another car and Seafoam. It worked out great, plugged the adapter into Vacum port and dipped the hose into the can. I did not have to rev the engine, the reducer from Berryman works.

Did IVD cleaning on 2019 Crosstrek. I used the hose from the Berryman IVD cleaning kit, which I used on another car and Seafoam. It worked out great, plugged the adapter into Vacum port and dipped the hose into the can. I did not have to rev the engine, the reducer from Berryman works.
Before and after pics or it didn't happen/ ;)

The system procedures worked. Instead of Berryman Ivd cleaner $34, I used Seafoam $8 and it was a one man job. I didn’t need to keep the revs at 2500. Very easy, don’t really know if it cleaned the valves, lots of white smoke.

Then how do you know it worked? Not giving you a hard time, just curious. We used to do a top engine cleaner that made lots of smoke, but I never could verify it actually did anything.
No one knows exactly without before and after pics. I do each of my cars every 8K miles

The system procedures worked. Instead of Berryman Ivd cleaner $34, I used Seafoam $8 and it was a one man job. I didn’t need to keep the revs at 2500. Very easy, don’t really know if it cleaned the valves, lots of white smoke.
Yes, burning a product that's mostly pale oil does produce a lot of white smoke and probably did close to nothing in terms of cleaning.

No chemical cleaning can do it alone. There are good tests on YouTube, even Berryman's fails. You will need some sort of mechanical agitation at a minimum. Dry ice blasting seems really promising and clean if you can somehow get your hands on a dry ice blaster, which seem to be extremely expensive to even rent.

Not doing walnut or dry ice blasting too expensive. If not Berryman or Seafoam there has to be a product that works better, simple to use as 1 man job.

I think chemical cleaners could work, provided they are done when the deposits are still pretty low and it is done often, like every oil change.

Since most of the intake manifolds are plastic these days, I wonder if someone tried drilling and fitting some sort of capped off nipple above each intake port. Then you could blast each cylinder with a can of cleaner. That would probably work quite well IMO.

Without an objective look at the valves before, and after, all you know, is that you ran the chemical through the engine.

You have no idea if it cleaned anything.

In fact, you don’t even know if the valves needed cleaning.

Not doing walnut or dry ice blasting too expensive. If not Berryman or Seafoam there has to be a product that works better, simple to use as 1 man job.
Subaru has a TSB outlining a similar procedure using their fuel cleaner, which PEA based, similar to Techron. I'd use this instead of Berryman or Seafoam. The procedure involves drip feeding a full bottle of the cleaner into the intake for an hour, with the engine at 2,000 rpm. Another bottle goes in the fuel tank to clean the injectors.

I'd prefer to do it shortly before an oil change, though Subaru allows up to 2 treatments between oil changes.

I looked on the BG web site and it shows where they insert the tube to feed the solution. I used the same area to insert the Berryman blue plastic tube and just stuck the other side into the Seafoam can, I used the entire can. And you’re right I don’t know if it works, just have to trust the produce and stay on top of the situation…. Every 10,000 miles

I presume there were noticeable signs of carbon buildup such as an unsteady idle and performance loss. Is there an improvement after the treatment?

Back