MagicJack, Vonage, Ooma, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Had magic jack. No like. Have basic talk now. $10 a month. Owned by Vonage.

When I google-searched Basic Talk, the next page said it was owned by Magic Jack. Does both Vonage and Magic Jack have Basic Talk at $10 per month +taxes? Or does Vonage own Magic Jack?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Had magic jack. No like. Have basic talk now. $10 a month. Owned by Vonage.

When I google-searched Basic Talk, the next page said it was owned by Magic Jack. Does both Vonage and Magic Jack have Basic Talk at $10 per month +taxes? Or does Vonage own Magic Jack?

Don't know, don't care. The call Quality is clear and the price is now $10 a month including all taxes. I received a $3 discount because of my one-year loyalty amd their effort to retain me as a customer when I was ready to surrender the phone number. Previously it was 12.93 or so per month let's just call it $13 a month that's with taxes included. My discount is only valid for another six months. I'll call back and threaten to leave and we will see their next offer. If it goes to $13 again I'll just leave. I have five smart phones with cricket for $100 a month so I really do NOT need basic talk. It's just convenient for me so I keep them.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I knew someone would mention Google even though I said I am not interested.
crackmeup2.gif

The threads posted are not about you. It's a great question and folks chiming in about all services makes it useful for everyone recent info on voip. The best method is getting all types to make a better informed decision and not be closed minded. Excellent info here and no fights on what is better!

I disagree. The thread is about me as I started it with a specific question about services I was interested in and they do not include Google which is why I specifically said it was a waste of time to mention them. If someone is interested in Google let them start their own thread.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Now that we have ruled out Google Voice what are the best options you have found?

Not to sound obnoxious but there is only one choice that is head and tails above all the others, posted in my post above is Ooma.
Plug and play, superior land line or better voice quality, no brainer ... :eek:)

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Now that we have ruled out Google Voice what are the best options you have found?

Not to sound obnoxious but there is only one choice that is head and tails above all the others, posted in my post above is Ooma.
Plug and play, superior land line or better voice quality, no brainer ... :eek:)

Alarmguy , As stated earlier I am switching over from AT&T dsl internet and an Ooma Telo this Tuesday and I have to agree with you. I`ve researched the heck out of this and the call quality is better than the competition and reliability is too . Up front cost on the Ooma device is $99.99 . A one time expense . Then here at my location I will just pay $4.25 a month for state taxes . Vonage , even though you can sometimes get the equipment free the service is quite a bit more. Magic Jack has quite a lot of bad reviews. Also Road Stars and Road Glides are real nice too :)

Meant to say that I am switching over from AT&T phone and internet To Xfinity internet and Ooma Telo voip phone .

It is pretty much down to making a choice between MagicJack and Ooma at this point I guess. I still have a few months of my current plan left that has to be fulfilled( not paying an early cancellation penalty )but I wanted time to research so I didn't have to make a snap decision.

These two plans/services seem to be the most popular here and elsewhere.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Meant to say that I am switching over from AT&T phone and internet To Xfinity internet and Ooma Telo voip phone .

Exactly what I did, Dumped ATT DSL and their landline. Got TWC cable internet and Ooma, I still have Magic Jack as well since i paid for 5 years, but I literally "pulled the plug" on Magic Jack, meaning the Jack is in my drawer wasting away. For me, its so inferior I can bother with it.

I honestly dont care who gives me my internet and whats nice about my set up, if cable raises their rate to much, then I will call ATT back for DSL only and see what they will give me, its no inconvenience to me, the way my home was set up 10 years ago by the builders contractor makes it as simple as unscrewing the cable and plugging in the DSL modem, feeds throughout the house and all in one access panel, cable, telephone and attic TV antenna. Another nice thing about not having the cable or ATT telephone, you dont feel tied to them, Ooma and Magic Jack just plug in like everything else.

Road Stars and Road Glides, I agree! Like them both! But the Road Star is no longer being sold 2014 was the last year in the USA anyway, however the new Road Glide looks real nice, if you dont mind the weight...

and ... to the original OP glad your thread was a help.

Last edited:
I dumped Vonage years ago and switched to Viatalk. It is $189 for two years ($189 for one year with an additional one year for free), has been every bit as reliable as Vonage and (at least at the time) had many more features than Vonage ever did. VM to e-mail, multiple call routing and call blocking options, mobile app, E911, and the VOIP adapter is included. It may be worth a look.

I did mention using an obihai device with google as well as mentioning its usability with a nearly unlimited number of non-google 3rd party voip providers. Several of which I also used flawlessly.

The fact that the obihai devices are able to be used totally free with google voice does not lessen the fact that you can use them with other providers.

Not sure what is funny about that except your attitude.

Trolling your own threads FTW?

crackmeup2.gif

The threads posted are not about you. It's a great question and folks chiming in about all services makes it useful for everyone recent info on voip. The best method is getting all types to make a better informed decision and not be closed minded. Excellent info here and no fights on what is better!

I disagree. The thread is about me as I started it with a specific question about services I was interested in and they do not include Google which is why I specifically said it was a waste of time to mention them. If someone is interested in Google let them start their own thread.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
I did mention using an obihai device with google as well as mentioning its usability with a nearly unlimited number of non-google 3rd party voip providers. Several of which I also used flawlessly.

The fact that the obihai devices are able to be used totally free with google voice does not lessen the fact that you can use them with other providers.

Not sure what is funny about that except your attitude.

Trolling your own threads FTW?

crackmeup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

What is funny is the way you can 100% guarantee on this site if you say I am not interested in in a thread, and ask that people not talk about/recommend it because your mind can not be changed, within a few responses someone will talk about/recommend it anyway. I find this place highly amusing at times due to the way people can't seem to help themselves with certain things. Talking about/recommending something they already know the other person has no interest in is one of those things they can't seem to help themselves with.

I am not trying to be a tool or a troll. My question was 100% serious. I was also 100% specific and clear that I had zero interest in Google Voice or anything else Google though. I have no interest in anything Google and made that clear by requesting people not bring them into the thread. It truly is a waste of their time posting and my time reading adding Google to the thread( even more time is being wasted with you asking what was funny and me having to explain ).

It isn't the end of the world or anything but it is funny to me the way people just have to talk about things even when they are not relevant to the topic and/or they already know the other person isn't interested in it. I started the thread so I set the topic and Google was left out purposely. Recommending/talking about them takes it off topic IMO. Some will and have said they added Google comments for others who read the thread. Well, my response is let others start their own thread about VOIP and ask for Google comments if they wish. I asked they be left out.

No big deal though and especially so as I knew people would do it anyway.
cheers3.gif

Just got my Ooma installed up and running , and I must say call quality is every bit as good as my AT&T landline . Staying on the basic service . For my area code that`s $4.24 a month for taxes .

Just got my Ooma installed up and running , and I must say call quality is every bit as good as my AT&T landline . Staying on the basic service . For my area code that`s $4.24 a month for taxes .

Great to hear another confirmation. We have had Ooma for a few months now and as you know, more then happy with it, stellar voice quality compared to traditional landline and hands and feet better then Magic Jack. As posted, we cancelled our landline, first time in decades without traditional line, thats how impressed I was with Ooma as my wife also calls out of the country often, we needed solid performance.
Same thing here, I only pay monthly tax, service is free after buying the device.

Last edited:

Great to hear another confirmation. We have had Ooma for a few months now and as you know, more then happy with it, stellar voice quality compared to traditional landline and hands and feet better then Magic Jack. As posted, we cancelled our landline, first time in decades without traditional line, thats how impressed I was with Ooma as my wife also calls out of the country often, we needed solid performance.
Same thing here, I only pay monthly tax, service is free after buying the device.

Yep, Alarmguy I`m cancelling my AT&T service too. Between my Ooma phone and my Infinity/Comcast internet off I will save $60 a month first year, that's $720 for the year . Minus my Moto/Arris modem/Wi-Fi router $135 and $99 Ooma devices that`s still a $500 savings. I know after my internet offer expires that price will go up , but I`ll still come out ahead by having the Ooma . Oh , also I have a $50 visa card coming from Comcast/Xfinity in a couple months as part of the offer.

BTW Jim, I also added something I wanted to do for a while, battery back up.
I added an APC 575 battery back up to my network which is the modem, router, Ooma, etc. Cost was something like $60 in Sams Club. APC UPS 575 = 575VA/345 watts of power.

Even though the most we ever lost power at our home in the last ten years was never more then 4 hours, it was just a fun thing for me, I will spend and do everything right regarding equipment when I know I am getting rid of a monthly payment for the rest of my life, for me it creates a little more fun. The APC seems well constructed and should keep my network running way more then a few hours during a power failure, it also provides more power to my security/fire system if needed.

Yup got that right Jim, regarding my other posts, many people (I see it everyday) have payments made by auto draft etc, they have all these reoccurring payments month after month for services they dont use, what they dont "see" is lets say something for as little as $75 a month.

What they dont see is it cost them WAY more then $75 a month, to pay that $75 they have to earn $110, first because of the federal, state, social security/medicare taxes. Of course everything depends on tax brackets, but all these costs ad up.
Anyway when looking at cost people should add 40% more then they are actually paying, because that is the actual income they need to pay for it.

Last edited:
I am getting ooma next week. I can actually give great feedback as I work 100% telecommute and spend 4 hrs/week on phone or cell. Majority of time running a bandwidth intensive screen sharing so this will actually test the service under duress.

I normally just use infinite minutes Verizon cell but my wife insists we have a land line for my daughters and folks who do not have voice over LTE. For flip cells and non VoLTE absolutely no signal. (Verizon skipped out on my area on that)

BTW Jim, I also added something I wanted to do for a while, battery back up.
I added an APC 575 battery back up to my network which is the modem, router, Ooma, etc. Cost was something like $60 in Sams Club. APC UPS 575 = 575VA/345 watts of power.

Even though the most we ever lost power at our home in the last ten years was never more then 4 hours, it was just a fun thing for me, I will spend and do everything right regarding equipment when I know I am getting rid of a monthly payment for the rest of my life, for me it creates a little more fun. The APC seems well constructed and should keep my network running way more then a few hours during a power failure, it also
provides more power to my security/fire system if needed.
Very good post Alarmguy. I havea very good electrical connection that the whole time in 32 years her that I lost power the longest was maybe 4 hours . Other than that one time it`s been very rare , so I can`t see a need for me to get a backup . But , I agree 100% on your money thoughts . I don`t make a whole lot of money and recently got a 2% raise . Problem is our insurance went up so I went with plan 4 the cheapest plan they offered . Bottom line is , take home pay with a lousier health plan is like $5 more a week.Figure that out , $260, is what it comes out to. So, for this year saving $500 on my phone and internet I basically doubled my take home of my work raise . I guess I have problem spending money on things that I can`t touch or see or feel :) . I feel the mark-up on so many items are unjust . Don`t get me started on hearing aids that will really tick me off.

Yup got that right Jim, regarding my other posts, many people (I see it everyday) have payments made by auto draft etc, they have all these reoccurring payments month after month for services they dont use, what they dont "see" is lets say something for as little as $75 a month.

What they dont see is it cost them WAY more then $75 a month, to pay that $75 they have to earn $110, first because of the federal, state, social security/medicare taxes. Of course everything depends on tax brackets, but all these costs ad up.
Anyway when looking at cost people should add 40% more then they are actually paying, because that is the actual income they need to pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back