Message sent to wrong phone; How could this happen?

Yesterday my TL sent a message to me but it ended up being received by one of the kids iphones. Her phone has a different number, different plan. How can that happen? I'm not even on the same WiFi network. Bizarre. I can't think of how this could even be possible. My number is much different then hers and he would not even know her number.

TL?

What phone OS?

There's a situation that my sister in law has where she claims that sometimes her and her husbands info gets crossed because they're logged into their iPhone/iCloud with the same email address and they share an account. In this case, there will be a message that we get that I see as being from her husband since he's in my contacts, but she says that she sent the message from her phone. Since we're iPhone, I've only seen it in iMessage which goes around the carrier in a way, so I don't know if this would be an issue through old fashioned SMS.

Team Leader. My icloud and email is entirely different. I thought about that. So basically, my team lead has my contact information. When he texts me, he just pulls up my name/number and sends the text. The fact that it ended up on her phone, which has a different number, different plan, different icloud and wasn't even on the same Wifi makes no sense to me. I'm baffled.

That's a pretty odd one for sure. I'm usually pretty good at putting together connections for tech (like why did I get this ad, I never.....) but I'm stumped too.

Is her number set up as a "forwarding" number in your phone? Did some setting get changed?

Also, is this repeatable? Ask the TL to try it a few times and see if it happens again?

Is her number set up as a "forwarding" number in your phone? Did some setting get changed?

Also, is this repeatable? Ask the TL to try it a few times and see if it happens again?
Her number is not set up as a forwarding number. I checked that. Good idea i'll have him text me a few times. I wrote back to him and when he replied I got his reply. I also had her "junk" that message that came from him.

Is her number set up as an account "recovery" number?
Or is her number set up as a ICE number with your company?
Or does your TL have her number also for some reason, and he accidentally sent it to her (by last name perhaps?)

It's just odd ... can't fathom how it happened.

Is her number set up as an account "recovery" number?
Or is her number set up as a ICE number with your company?
Or does your TL have her number also for some reason, and he accidentally sent it to her (by last name perhaps?)

It's just odd ... can't fathom how it happened.
No to all 3. It's absolutely bizarre.

Never had this happen. Did the text include a picture or just straight text?

I have NOT received a message when sent to a group. Was this a group message?

How close are the phone numbers?

Mystery solved. About 2 years ago I was locked out of my work computer. I also lost my phone. I had to use her phone to call him. He ended up saving that number and had two contacts listed as my number.

I couldn't stop thinking about it last night but now it all makes sense.

Mystery solved. About 2 years ago I was locked out of my work computer. I also lost my phone. I had to use her phone to call him. He ended up saving that number and had two contacts listed as my number.

I couldn't stop thinking about it last night but now it all makes sense.
Phew.

Typical boss. When you want him/her to save your # they don't. And when just temporary they save it.

I was a little more worried about your boss for a microsecond. I have only daughters so, am paranoid.

dnewton3 said:

No to all 3. It's absolutely bizarre.
buster said:

So actually I was right; he had her number saved under your name!

What prize do I win? 😂

Last edited:
Back