Made the switch to Pennzoil Platnium on my Speed3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after reading about some of the negative analsis reports that were coming in on Mobil 1 synthetic in the Mazdaspeed 3 I decided to change things up. I just did my 3rd oil change at around 8700 miles and switched over to Pennzoil Platnium Synthetic 5W30.

I saw some good posts on it and figured I would give it a try. Costs about the same as the Mobil 1 oil (maybe cheeper cause I got a 5qt container at Walmart). I will see how it goes.

What do you guys think? Good decision???

Good choice. Now, are you going to send a sample to Dyson? It would be interesting to see if you have any fuel dilution. It appears that going to Blackstone may not get you accurate dilution numbers.

Now all you have to do is suffer the drop in status for not using the poster child oil of NASCAR. You'll just have to settle for a better oil for less money.

Good choice.

I personally never had a problem running mobil 1 but never did any uoa's on it. Maybe I should have. I am running 5K intervals on my corolla but if I were to bump them up to 10K I would have no problems grabbing PP off the shelf

Quote:

You'll just have to settle for a better oil for less money.

Come on, you sound like you are on a typical car forum, where unsupportable opinions are often posted as fact. All you gotta do to make it ok is say, "I think you selected a better oil for less money."

Interesting. I don't think Mobil 1 is a bad oil. I used it on my subaru for years. The only reason I made the change was due to the information coming out about the Mazdaspeed3 and the oil dilution issues. If not for that I woudl still be using it.

I don't plan on having analysis of my oil done. I jsut don't want to spend the extra cash to do it. From everyhitng I read the PP at a 5K oil change should be fine...

Originally Posted By: tsmay51
Dino at 5000 miles would be fine. PP will be fine for sure.

In a high performance turbo motor I would prefer a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: jasno999
Well after reading about some of the negative analsis reports that were coming in on Mobil 1 synthetic in the Mazdaspeed 3 I decided to change things up. I just did my 3rd oil change at around 8700 miles and switched over to Pennzoil Platnium Synthetic 5W30.

I saw some good posts on it and figured I would give it a try. Costs about the same as the Mobil 1 oil (maybe cheeper cause I got a 5qt container at Walmart). I will see how it goes.

Good decision. You will never know how an oil will actually perform till you put it in. That's the magic of it especially if youre performance driven. That's good that you became aware of the negative reports of the M! and more importantly *acted on it subsequently* to eliciting that info right here at BITOG.com. Love this story. I know I must of done this a gazillion times in making my oil selection decisions and now my car is getting 23-24-25 and up to 26.4 mpg(if I do some hypermmiling) in basically 100% city driving plus some good power to the pavement to boot. Loving it..loving this forum. The only thing I would have done differently would be to use the oil below and not PP. PP made my pump have downs syndrome..it worked but not at peak efficiency for *my* application anyway...downs syndrome like I feel when my boss looks at me...yeah he's that good.

Last edited:
I am interested to see if there is any noticable effects to gass milage now that I have gone from Mobil 1 to PP. I do nto expect to see anyhting change that is noticiable but I keep very good records of every fill up and I have a chart that shows my MPG actuals and averages.

I will let you knwo what I see. Either way if I continue to hear good things about the PP I will continue to use it and buy it at Walmart for $19 for 5 quarts.

Originally Posted By: Captain Howdy
The Amsoil site says you can use 0w20 in that motor. What weight does the manual call for?

The speed 3 manual calls for 5W30.

The AMSOIL site is probably not updated properly for the speed 3. The regular mazda 3 takes 5W20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Originally Posted By: jasno999

Good decision. You will never know how an oil will actually perform till you put it in. That's the magic of it especially if youre performance driven. That's good that you became aware of the negative reports of the M! and more importantly *acted on it subsequently* to eliciting that info right here at BITOG.com. Love this story. I know I must of done this a gazillion times in making my oil selection decisions and now my car is getting 23-24-25 and up to 26.4 mpg(if I do some hypermmiling) in basically 100% city driving plus some good power to the pavement to boot. Loving it..loving this forum. The only thing I would have done differently would be to use the oil below and not PP. PP made my pump have downs syndrome..it worked but not at peak efficiency for *my* application anyway...downs syndrome like I feel when my boss looks at me...yeah he's that good.

I dont have a clue what you just said. None. Zero.

Originally Posted By: SargeGTO

I dont have a clue what you just said. None. Zero.

LOL.gif
That's okay. He doesn't either.
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back