M1 Extended Performance AND Advanced Fuel Economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why isn't there...or is there...a Mobil1 synthetic that is BOTH "Advanded Performance" AND "Extended Fuel Economy"? Must one choose?

Could be a marketing decision but also could pose formulation conundrum of more cost to make a 0W-20 or 30 oil that they are comfortable backing for 15k miles. More expensive ingredients would likely be required to make such oils than the 5W-20 and 30 EP oils.

Thanks. Good answer. What's in the 5W-20 extended synthetic that's not in the 5W-20 not-extended synthetic? And I assume the non-extended synthetic can still be more extended than dino? I'm NOT trying to be snarky but seriously am trying to sort out what's what.

I think it says why on
Originally Posted By: Daryll
Thanks. Good answer. What's in the 5W-20 extended synthetic that's not in the 5W-20 not-extended synthetic? And I assume the non-extended synthetic can still be more extended than dino? I'm NOT trying to be snarky but seriously am trying to sort out what's what.

I think it says why on the back of the bottle. Says something about "Has a higher amount of anti wear additives for longer drain interval".

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance.aspx

FAQ: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs.aspx#FAQs3

Last edited:
The regular Mobil 1 can most assuredly go longer on a drain than dino, but I am reluctant to go over 10k miles even on Mobil 1 extended performance. Oil is cheap insurance for your engine and changing at say 5000-7000 is by far a better choice than inflicting potential engine damage by attempting to squeeze another 5000 miles out of 5 quarts of oil.

Agreed oil is way cheaper than buying an engine. It seems a waste, however, to buy synthetic if I'm gonna change the oil at 5000 miles anyway. Won't most cheap dino oil hold up well for that mere amount of miles?

Agreed oil is way cheaper than buying an engine. It seems a waste, however, to buy synthetic if I'm gonna change the oil at 5000 miles anyway. Won't most cheap dino oil hold up well for that mere amount of miles?

"Cheap" conventional is almost non-existent nowadays. To answer your question SN GF-5 conventional is an improvement and it will last easily (in a sound clean engine) for 5-6k miles. So it is totally up to you what you want to use. Just make sure it is a major brand.
Use the "Syn" if you plan on beating your vehicle up.

There is not much, if any, difference in metallic additives so it must be base oils and/or non-metallic additives. One type of non-metallic additive that I'd expect is different in type or quantity are antioxidants. At least at one time period, "Supersyn" itself was a very high viscosity PAO used in low concentrations in regular & EP Supersyn M1. It was used in higher concentrations in EP oils. That could have changed since then. That very viscous PAO was meant to reduce wear, not make the oil last longer. I would not be surprised if use of Group 5 alkylated naphthalene and small amounts of esters differ between regular and EP 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back