M1 AFE 0W-30 back in Canada after nine years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I couldn't believe I saw it, but there it was in it's own liter bottles on the shelves of my local CDN Tire.
Price $12.49/L.

It's never made sense why they chose not to market it in the Great White North with it's class leading MRV spec'.

The (relatively) low V.I. does not bother you, even though yes, it's MRV spec is exceptional?
27.gif

Mobile Elite 222 0w30 syn. is a great oil at less than $6 a litre. Why would anyone spend twice as much? Is M1 AFE that much better? Roger

I have never seen that Elite oil anywhere mainstream, must be available at specific distributor locations...I actually didn't know it existed until now.

Mobil 1 0W-20
SAE Grade 0W-20
Viscosity, @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 8.7
Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 45.8
Viscosity Index 173
Sulfated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.8
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC (ASTM D4683) 2.7
Phosphorous (ASTM D4951) 0.065
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 224
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 8.8
MRV @ -40ºc (ASTM D4684 apprarent viscosity) 9200
Density @15.6º C g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.841
ACEA A1/B1
API SN,SM,SL,SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30
SAE Grade 0W-30
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 69
cSt @ 100ºC 12.2
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 176
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 0.99
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 7.7
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -45
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 215
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.842
API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
API SM, SL, SJ, SH
CUMMINS CES 20081, 20076
CATERPILLAR ECF-3
MACK EO-M PLUS

The bragging point of the AFE is: "Helps to increase engine efficiency and improve fuel economy up to 1.2%, based on a comparison versus those grades most commonly used. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions, and your current engine oil viscosity."

If you feel that a possible 1.2% increase in fuel economy is offset by more than double the cost of the oil change...go for it.

Last edited:
NEVER buy oil at regular price in Canada, .something is always on sale, somewhere... or it will be, soon.

Right now, PYB is $ 3.49 a liter... and PP Is $ 28.00 per 5 liters... at CdnTire.

M1 is $28.88 for 4.4 liter jug, "regular flavours" at Walmart... 0w20 M1 and 5w40 TDT are "EXCLUDED...!"

Originally Posted By: geeman789
NEVER buy oil at regular price in Canada, .something is always on sale, somewhere... or it will be, soon.

Yep, you are right, it actually goes on sale for $8.59 per liter at Cdn Tire starting tomorrow. I've noticed that it has been going on sale about every 3 or 4 weeks for the past few months. So you never have to wait very long for the next sale.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Many years ago, XD-3 0w-30 was available and seemed to be probably the most outstanding oil sold in Canada. I forget the username, but a guy was running it in his fleet of Silouttes or pontiac equivalent for 10s of thousands of km. Not available in the US. It is not like AFE is the only goto oil for cold weather.

I believe that was olympic

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
Mobile Elite 222 0w30 syn. is a great oil at less than $6 a litre. Why would anyone spend twice as much? Is M1 AFE that much better?

If someone wanted an SN/GF-5 oil, they'd want to go with the AFE. If someone didn't mind using CJ-4/SM, then the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 would be fine.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I couldn't believe I saw it, but there it was in it's own liter bottles on the shelves of my local CDN Tire.
Price $12.49/L.

It's never made sense why they chose not to market it in the Great White North with it's class leading MRV spec'.

The (relatively) low V.I. does not bother you, even though yes, it's MRV spec is exceptional?
27.gif

You're right I have no particular use for the oil as it's exceptional MRV has no relevance in my climate or that where most Canadians live. It's real benefit over a typical 5W-30 syn will only apply to those in the far north as I mentioned from the outset. But if you live in Winnipeg, Saskatoon or Edmonton there isn't a better 30 grade oil for unaided cold starts.

As Patman mentioned it's on sale for $8.59/L (that didn't take long) and it is also available in a 4.4L jug regularly priced at $49.99 (not currently on sale).

Price $12.49/L.

27.gif

You're right I have no particular use for the oil as it's exceptional MRV has no relevance in my climate or that where most Canadians live. It's real benefit over a typical 5W-30 syn will only apply to those in the far north as I mentioned from the outset. But if you live in Winnipeg, Saskatoon or Edmonton there isn't a better 30 grade oil for unaided cold starts.

As Patman mentioned it's on sale for $8.59/L (that didn't take long) and it is also available in a 4.4L jug regularly priced at $49.99 (not currently on sale).

The few times it was around -30C this past winter its exceptional MRV would most certainly be relevant.
reallycold.jpg

Yes this past winter some records were certainly broken. Even in my more southernly part of Ontario we saw over night temp's often into the -20Cs and I think we hit -24C once. In years past we've had the over night low get no colder than -12C over the entire winter.
All my cars are garaged so I still didn't start anything at temp's much below freezing.

I do agree that if temp's are dropping down into the -30Cs then MRV would be a spec' to start considering, but just occasionally into the low -20Cs isn't cold enough and any light 5W-30 syn will perform just fine.
That said, due in part to AFE 0W-30's lowish 3.0cP HTHSV and average VI I think it will still be somewhat lighter than most 5W-30s at less extreme start-up temp's so it's still and excellent 30 grade winter oil choice.

LOL, and no disrespect intended, but isn't the whole reason de etre for the blend that this oil wasn't available in Canada ?

Yes this past winter some records were certainly broken. Even in my more southernly part of Ontario we saw over night temp's often into the -20Cs and I think we hit -24C once. In years past we've had the over night low get no colder than -12C over the entire winter.
All my cars are garaged so I still didn't start anything at temp's much below freezing.

I do agree that if temp's are dropping down into the -30Cs then MRV would be a spec' to start considering, but just occasionally into the low -20Cs isn't cold enough and any light 5W-30 syn will perform just fine.
That said, due in part to AFE 0W-30's lowish 3.0cP HTHSV and average VI I think it will still be somewhat lighter than most 5W-30s at less extreme start-up temp's so it's still and excellent 30 grade winter oil choice.

Maybe if we petition XOM hard enough, they will jack the VI of this up into the 215-220 range using the new, top shelf asteric VIIs?!
lol.gif
27.gif

Yes this past winter some records were certainly broken.

I don't know if I ever asked or not, but I do know we did discuss the oil - why do you not use Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0w-30?

Garak, I would love to like PC SS 0W-30 but it's MRV of 24,800cP is not that impressive. It's also heavier at operating temp's with it's HTHSV of 3.2cP which is offset in part by it's higher than average 177 VI.
Interestingly, PCs HDEO Duron 0W-30 has a lower 17,456cP MRV and isn't much heavier with a 3.3cP HTHSV and 175 VI. I know member cp3 has been running this oil a bit in a Pontiac G6 with okay results.
The other thing about PC oils is that they tend to be just average in their tendency to shear.

Maybe if we petition XOM hard enough, they will jack the VI of this up into the 215-220 range using the new, top shelf asteric VIIs?!
lol.gif
27.gif

These VM'ers are not being used yet in any high performance grade oil that I'm aware of - Redline, Amsoil Dominator, Maxima, Total, Joe Gibbs and Mobil 1.

It is possible that if Mobil bumped the VI up of the AFE, it wouldn't retain it's excellent high temperature deposit and oxidation resistance.

For most cars, especially Toyota, the high temperature stability isn't as important so it's a non-issue there.

Originally Posted By: buster

lol.gif
27.gif

These VM'ers are not being used yet in any high performance grade oil that I'm aware of - Redline, Amsoil Dominator, Maxima, Total, Joe Gibbs and Mobil 1.

It is possible that if Mobil bumped the VI up of the AFE, it wouldn't retain it's excellent high temperature deposit and oxidation resistance.

For most cars, especially Toyota, the high temperature stability isn't as important so it's a non-issue there.

I don't agree with that assessment at all.
It's not simply a matter of switching polymer VM to get a higher VI without also also using a lighter base oil otherwise the final product will be too heavy.
So in the case of AFE where is the economic motivation (business plan) to scrap the current formulation which has remained largely unchanged in over a decade?
It's the same reason that most of the aftermarket that has added a 0W-20 to their product line for use in vehicles that now specify the grade aren't going the ultra high VI route. It's cheaper not to.

As for TGMO 0W-20s high temp' deposit and oxidation resistance, from what I've seen it's excellent.
The new Subie BRZ and Scion FR-S are often seeing extremely high oil temp's on the track in excess of 275F without issue.
This also applies to Sustina 0W-20 which also produced an excellent UOA in a tracked FR-S under such conditions.
These are oil temp's that one would never otherwise use such a light 0W-20 so it's a total non issue.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I didn't realize its HTHS was that high. Well, there's one solution for you - a 5 gallon pail of Delvac Elite 222.
wink.gif

No I want you to try it first and if it gets the Garak seal of approval then I'll consider it. We've got to do something to get you over your 0W-XX phobia!

Ah, you're rationalizing. IIRC you've never tried an 0W-XX oil?
There are plenty of high TBN 0W-XX oils so the issue comes down to money and yes 0W-XX oils are generally more expensive than 5W-XX oils.
So if the only thing keeping you from trying Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 over their 5W-40 is cost I'll Paypal you the difference as an enticement to try what is clearing a more suitable lube for the G37 (although still heavier than necessary).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back