M1 5/30 7950 mi 08 RAV4 3.5 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
thoughts on the sodium /potassium here
1211oil08RAV.jpg

The increase in aluminum may have something to do with the oil being a 20 weight. cSt viscosity @ 100C should be >9.3 for an oil to qualify as a 30 weight, if you didn't know already.
Is this the API SN version?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worried about the Na/Pot here, still just trace amounts.

I'd be worried about the high silicon, low viscosity, and the resulting piston (Al) wear.

I'd use a 5W-30 conventional, and do a few 3-4k changes to see if you can get the engine to settle down.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
How's the air filter/intake tract? Any coolant loss?

you know now that you mention it this could be from the salt/sand/ash and I don't know if they're using potassium chloride on the roads when it snows. the car isn't here in the city and I'll have to check over the weekend.
the county laid out quit a bit of stuff on the roads in October w/that bunch of snow we had.
going to go 5K this round or OLM and see what happens.

think I found the silicone problem
wheel-air003.jpg

wheel-air005.jpg

looks like its a factory filter!! I can't believe that the regular mechanic or dealer that services this car did not look at this. I an so P Oed its not funny.

I'm not sure I follow? What, exactly, is the issue with the air filter? Put in wrong, not checked, wrong filter?

Looks quite dirty . Was it bought as a Toyota Certified vehicle ? If so , it doesn't mean squat . We've looked at certified vehicles of different brands and found dead mice and nest in the air filter housing and blower . One time I turned on the blower to check it. Grass and other matter came flying out into the other halfs' kisser . Also discovered cars with plenty of gunk on the dipstick and on the valves / etc.. Always check it by using a flashlight to look through the oil fill hole . Many times they'll just change the oil / filter and brakes then slap it on the the lot hoping nothing happens after being sold . 120+ point inspection is a joke . Just a way for them to make more money on used car sales .

Last edited:
That is not an air filter with 50k on it. In NY driving, there would be WAY more junk in it.

Do replace it, and re-test...but that filter was done at some point.

Question: You run Amsoil in your vehicles...why not here? XL 5W-30 would work well for 7-8k drains....just curious....

Actually, Amsoil OE would work for 7-8k in this app. XL is good for 10k from what i've seen from a personal UOA.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Actually, Amsoil OE would work for 7-8k in this app. XL is good for 10k from what i've seen from a personal UOA.

If using OE, best to confirm with a UOA, just out of caution.

My testing showed TBN of 2.0 - 3.0 with mileage ranging from 5k-8k. I say it can safely do 5-8k with 2.0+/- TBN to spare.

It's designed to handle OEM recommended intervals, which under normal service always end up being 7,500 miles give or take. I personally have confidence in it.

odie- it was bought new and first 3 OC's on the arm from dealer. after that her regular mechanic who I don't much care for.
addguy- I changed it over Christmas holiday. also it is in upstate NY not in the city. my g/f '00 RAV air filter has nowhere near as much junk in it as that does after 18 months and close to 30K.
guess I should check the cabin filter next time I'm there.
Artem,ltslimjim- M1 is doing its job but I would love to see how OE or XL would do in this application, again back to her mechanic who has a policy of no customer parts including oil and filters. like I said don't care for them much.
on a plus note there is a new quickie lube place opening up not to far away and I will be going to check them out. at least I should be able to supply my mom w/her own oil.

That's good it was new . A friend has a 2010 YARIS and I checked his air filter at around 60,000 . It had never been changed or mentioned by the dealer service center where he bought it new . He goes there for oil changes and other maintenance . So , I had to knock out all the crud that was captured in it and later gave him a used air filter from our YARIS that I vacuumed out with a crevice tool ( clean on the top side of filter ) . That only had about 15,000 miles of use . Change them out every year or at around 15,000 miles . It now has a clean filter .

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the Potassium its not high but it is statistically relevant. For instance it you have say 16 that is definately a leak.

Chromium is 0 so I would say there are no problems with the air filter.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Artem - I suggested XL b/c Toyota 3.5 V-6's are much, much harder on oil than Honda 4-cylinders. I wouldn't go more than 6k on OE with a Toyota V-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back