M1 10w40 High Mileage OK in a 1988 L98 Corvette?

However it was always specified in the owners manual for certain temperature ranges. See attached the original oil cap on my 83 Caprice. That's the oil grade it tells you to use. Since it doesn't say, I assume they expected you to look in the manual and choose wisely based on ambient temperature range? See the tip of the zip tie pointing to the cap lol. Sorry, I normally trim my zip ties but didn't that day.
I ran track days in my '85 Corvette for 10 years after I bought in 1991. Long tracks, all across the US midwest, in hot weather. Ran Castrol GTX 5w30 conventional for most of the time. Oil temperatures above 280F as shown on the digital dash. Never had a problem.

If by 11.1 you mean 11.9, then you would be correct

e5MajNh.jpg

The 5w30 is a bit of a standout on that spec sheet. It has a higher Flash Point than the 10w30. Actually, its FP is the highest of all the oils listed.

I ran track days in my '85 Corvette for 10 years after I bought in 1991. Long tracks, all across the US midwest, in hot weather. Ran Castrol GTX 5w30 conventional for most of the time. Oil temperatures above 280F as shown on the digital dash. Never had a problem.
That's pretty impressive. How many miles did you put on it total? Also what made you choose 5w30 even after looking in the owners manual? Or was that before the days about caring about oil?

Mobil 1 10w-30 HM has an HTHS of 3.5. That's plenty robust for me in a 30wt! It's also quite a bit beefier than their 5w-30 (3.1?), so the OP would be much better served by that in VA than any 5w-30.

That's pretty impressive. How many miles did you put on it total? Also what made you choose 5w30 even after looking in the owners manual? Or was that before the days about caring about oil?
It had about 45k on it when I bought it. It has about 132k on it now. All through the 90's, I was doing 10-20 track days per year. I did a top end conversion on it in 1993, with long duration flat tappet cam, Airflow Research heads, Lingenfelter Superram intake, and headers. I did another conversion on it in 2010 to replace the original ECU with an aftermarket AEM. And slipped in a Comp hydraulic roller cam at the same time. After I got assimilated by the BITOG, I started running Redline 5w30 in it, which is what is in it today. I finally added an air-oil cooler to it after I saw temperatures of 315F when I ran Daytona in 2012. The engine still has the original block, crank, oil pump, and oil pan, and I have wanted to LS swap it for years, but it JUST WON'T BLOW UP! I'm too cheap to throw away something that still works.

PYB or PHM 10W30 would be a good consideration. Those two oils have really good “stats” per se.

It had about 45k on it when I bought it. It has about 132k on it now. All through the 90's, I was doing 10-20 track days per year. I did a top end conversion on it in 1993, with long duration flat tappet cam, Airflow Research heads, Lingenfelter Superram intake, and headers. I did another conversion on it in 2010 to replace the original ECU with an aftermarket AEM. And slipped in a Comp hydraulic roller cam at the same time. After I got assimilated by the BITOG, I started running Redline 5w30 in it, which is what is in it today. I finally added an air-oil cooler to it after I saw temperatures of 315F when I ran Daytona in 2012. The engine still has the original block, crank, oil pump, and oil pan, and I have wanted to LS swap it for years, but it JUST WON'T BLOW UP! I'm too cheap to throw away something that still works.

Which AFR heads do you have? 195?

Which Comp retrofit roller?

Rob,
I think you'd be fine running 10w40 at up to 5,000 OCI with the Vette. I used either Formula Shell or Pennzoil YB, both in 10w40 for my 1998 Volvo S70 and have never had an issue using a 10w40; no oil consumption issues of any kind...

I just bought the car, and it runs really well. My understanding is that 30 weight oils were often specified to help meet fleet fuel economy targets - not for performance or engine longevity.

And yet somehow it made it all these years through that abuse! Hallelujah!

m1 hm 10w40 is a classic and fairly robust european style oil in a segment usually filled with trash.

is it worth $22.37/5L? no

I run Mobil 1 5w/30 HM in my 94 Corvette LT1 (66k miles and original owner) and ran it in a 89 Corvette L98 with good results so that would be my choice. You could even do the 10w/30 version if you like.

2EHA,

I am currently running Pennzoil 10w40 YB at 4k OCI with no issues at all. I may have to make the switch to Mobil 1 10w40 high mileage as most other 10w40's are being dropped...Home Depot still carries Formula Shell and Pennzoil YB, both in 10w40. Either of those 2 oils and a Supertech ST-16 filter and my 1998 Volvo S70 is happy as a clam..

Corvette 350 small block engines started using roller lifters in 1987; some of the late 1986 Convertibles with the center bolt valve covers might have had roller lifters as well. I can't quite remember.
Truck engines did not get them until about 1996 or something like that.
If your Vette's L98 is an '87 or newer, any 5w30 or 10w30 is fine. I would use what is on the oil cap. I love synthetics!
The flat tappet engines are probably OK with stock valve springs, but a little extra ZDDP wouldn't hurt.

for it being an old higher mileage engine that especially never has to pass emissions id run a diesel 15-40 assuming you're not gonna winter car it but rather summer drive it. the higher visc doesn't hurt a thing and shell t5 or t6 is stout for an old ohv. that engine was made in a time when oils weren't so skimpy and low saps. a diesel oil of today is more comparable to a gas oil of before. sure the base stocks are better but still.

Back